Become a Patron!

4mm+ ID

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I have a Universal Tools Coil Jig. The largest sized bit is 3.5mm. Looking at my TFV8 with a 3.5mm ID coil installed, it seems that I could fit coils with larger IDs.

Is there a 4mm or larger bit compatible with my coil jig? How do y'all build coils with larger than 3.5mm IDs?
fe871933123ed62dc4693b5b0e16969e.jpg
30d9b2f9f3c972cd76de6b808c5870e7.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some coil tools go to 4mm , or theres coiling poles from fasttech which go up to 4.5mm 100mm long you get 6 SS rods/ poles for 6.+ Usd

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Do the poles fasten into the coil jig or do you have to use them freehanded?

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Barely anyone uses anything bigger than 3mm unless they're using a series mech.
I can't think of many RDAs that a 4mm coil would work well in let alone an RTA.
If the air can't easily pass over the front and back of the coil and the wick takes up the sides you're pretty much going backwards.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a Universal Tools Coil Jig. The largest sized bit is 3.5mm. Looking at my TFV8 with a 3.5mm ID coil installed, it seems that I could fit coils with larger IDs.

Is there a 4mm or larger bit compatible with my coil jig? How do y'all build coils with larger than 3.5mm IDs?
fe871933123ed62dc4693b5b0e16969e.jpg
30d9b2f9f3c972cd76de6b808c5870e7.jpg

Use 4+mm coils in the postless deck on the Modfather (30mm atty) and Voltrove (41mm atty) ....Single coils when using big-ass coils.....fantastic vape from both atomizers.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Use 4+mm coils in the postless deck on the Modfather (30mm atty) and Voltrove (41mm atty) ....Single coils when using big-ass coils.....fantastic vape from both atomizers.
Right, on big attys it only makes sense to go up in ID just not so much on small RTAs.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Barely anyone uses anything bigger than 3mm unless they're using a series mech.

Almost everyone over-generalizes...

I c an't think of many RDAs that a 4mm coil would work well in let alone an RTA.

Most of my atomizers work very well with 3.5mm and 4mm coils.

The thing builders always forget with large ID coils is, the larger the core diameter compared to the diameter of the wire, the more the coil tends to unravel when you let go of the wire after wrapping the coil. Therefore, many people think they wrap a 4mm ID coil and really end up with a 4.5 or 5mm coil in the end. Then they go around saying "it don't fit".

Last edited:

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Get on IG and count the builds with more than a 3mm ID.

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I use my hex key driver. the shaft is 4.5mm. Build coils all the time on it for my 30mm aromamizer. Dont get stuck only building coils on a "Coil Jig". drill bits, screwdriver shafts, hell anything round can be used. when we first started out everyone was buying the small "Precision Screwdriver" sets to wrap the 2mm sized coils... that was before things like coilmaster showed up and took our money.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i put 4mm coils in my griffin 22mm rtas in fact thats all i put in them and i use 4mm on my limitless plus
i have a coil jig that cqame with 4.0mm rod but you dont see it as often

need to get me some of those cermaic ones though.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use a coilmaster v4 jig, it goes up to 4mm. Prior to that I used a 16D common nail, nothing fancy just a smooth shank, no coating or anything. I wiped the nail down with isopropyl alcohol before using it. 16D (16 penny) nails have a diameter of .165" or 4.191mm. Since they were wound by hand not using a tool or anything and I didn't pull the leads tight with pliers the inner diameter was just slightly larger as the coil flexed back open so safe to say around 4.2mm.

I've used coils that size in single coil rta's like the ehpro bachelor (postless, lots of room) and the original ammit rta which also has lots of room and additional airflow using the "3d" airflow ports.

VU Sponsors