Become a Patron!

A few questions from a newbie

I started vaping almost a month ago. I have an E-Go Twist, and it's worked pretty well for me.
Because I used to smoke 1/3 of an American Spirit rollie at a time, and five whole cigarettes a day
on average (Spirits have very high nicotine), I chose to go with the highest concentration of nicotine
I could find, 24 milligrams. So far, so good; it satisfies my craving without killing my appetite like spirits did.
Today I bought some 12 mg juice for a steal. I loaded up the tank and puffed. Now, I've read that
people who are used to high levels of nicotine might find themselves wanting to vape way more if they
choose a low mg. I don't know if that will be true for me, since I started the new mg less than an hour ago.
But what struck me immediately was that this new juice felt harsh in my throat. Up to now, I've been
vaping a mint-flavored juice. This new one is Creme Brulee.
So, is it harsh because it has no mint extract? I want to try flavors other than mint,
but not if they feel harsh like this one. Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Couple of questions for you. Did you get this juice at the same shop? And, do you know what the ratio of PG and VG are that the juice was made with? For both bottles, I mean.

I got my first juice, the mint-flavored one, at a shop that has been around for nine years and has branches in four locations on the island. It costs about $8 for a small bottle of juice (15 ml I think?). I don't know the ratio of VG and PG in it, so I'll be asking them about that, thanks. The other one, the Creme Brulee, was on discount at a vape shop that opened up recently (don't know exactly when), $5 for 30 ml. The brand is "Jimmy the Juice Man." If I remember correctly, that one is 20% PG. He didn't tell me how much VG is in it. I just looked on Jimmy's website and found what looks like the same one, only it says it has 40% PG / 60% VG. So I don't know who's right. Gonna have to ask, I guess. The mint one is from Puff Factory, and I can't find their ratios with a quick net search. Doing a search on VG/PG ratio has ostensibly revealed that more-- not less-- VG is the best choice and gives a smoother hit. Thanks for giving me some direction, and any further info would be great.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I started vaping almost a month ago. I have an E-Go Twist, and it's worked pretty well for me.
Because I used to smoke 1/3 of an American Spirit rollie at a time, and five whole cigarettes a day
on average (Spirits have very high nicotine), I chose to go with the highest concentration of nicotine
I could find, 24 milligrams. So far, so good; it satisfies my craving without killing my appetite like spirits did.
Today I bought some 12 mg juice for a steal. I loaded up the tank and puffed. Now, I've read that
people who are used to high levels of nicotine might find themselves wanting to vape way more if they
choose a low mg. I don't know if that will be true for me, since I started the new mg less than an hour ago.
But what struck me immediately was that this new juice felt harsh in my throat. Up to now, I've been
vaping a mint-flavored juice. This new one is Creme Brulee.
So, is it harsh because it has no mint extract? I want to try flavors other than mint,
but not if they feel harsh like this one. Any feedback is appreciated.

Mint flavors are generally easier on the throat. Since you have just started your vaping journey, you might want to stick to one or 2 juices while your body cleans itself from the cig toxins. 24 Mg is high, most people who used to smoke 1 or 2 packs a day start off there. I started at 36mg due to the fact that I smoked 2 packs a day of unfiltered camels and Pall Malls, now I'm at 9 for most eliquids, and 6mg for subtanks and cloud producers. If it does the trick, then by all means vape it. You can move down in nic from 24 to 18, then 15, then 12. At a lower nic you will vape more, but the alternative is to get a setup that will produce more thick vapor at a lower nic level. Don't rush out and get a sub-tank and a high watt setup, ease into your vaping voyage.

NitroBex

The Cloud Chasing Geek
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Things that will add to throathit:
Nic Level: Higher Nic is harsher
PG Level: Higher PG some transfers flavor better but also makes it harsher
Some Flavors: Certain flavors give a harsher hit, good example would be cinnamon red hots

There is a thread at http://vapingunderground.com/threads/what-is-the-best-for-me-starting.232/ that may help you but here is the relevant part as to what you were asking:
Liquid is very subjective. If you are looking for "the best starting liquid" there is none. One thing that makes this even more dificult for a new vaper is smoking reduces your sense of taste. That being said starting off you are best deciding on a family of flavoring and ordering small bottles at first. As you regain your sense of taste and have decided what type of flavor you like you can refine from there. Some basic categories of flavors to look at are:
1: Tobaccos - For the most part none of these taste like a cigarette tasted, they taste like the fresh pack smelled. Reason being there is no combustion in vaping. Some popular ones are "Red Type" which is to replicate a full flavor king like Malbro, Desert Ship which is to simulate a turkish tobbaco like Camels, RY4 this is pretty specific to vaping it is a sweet tobacco blend and is often the tobacco flavor that is most accepted by vapers it often has hints of vanilla and caramel in it.
2: Fruits - These are straight forward and simple they are often flavors such as watermelon, or strawbery. There are some meadly flavors such as a banana kiwi strawbery with a hint of orange, but often new vapers are more sucessful with the more stright forward flavors.
3: Bakerys - Many experianced vapers will vape this type of flavor as it is very smooth. The flaovrs could be anything from cupcakes, custards, cereals, cakes, to breads. Many new vapers struggle with these flavors as they are not as pronounced as some of the other type of flavors, remember after all your taste buds are still healing, do not get discouraged.
4: Savory flavors - Bacon makes everything better right? Not in this case. There is a whole family of savory flavors from bacon, to steak and onions, to crab flavored eliquid. These may be foods you love but they when inhaled with no texture behind them taste pretty bad and can really turn off a new vaper. They are often used as a joke or a "challenge" vape between friends.

The next thing to take into consideration is your PG/VG ratio. PG is a thin liquid that helps carry flavor, it also enhances the thump you feel in the back of your throat (throat hit). VG is a thick liquid that helps produce the vapor you see on the exhale and helps sweeten the flavor and smooth out the hit. This is all personal prefrence. Many people have thier perfered ratio but for a beginer I recommend starting at 50/50 and adjusting from there.

The last consideration on liquid is the nicotine level. These are expressed in MG or Miligrams. This is a mesurement of miligrams of nicotine per militeter of liquid. The amount you will need will vary depending on how heavy of a smoker you were and the type of device you are using and the type of tank you are using but some basic guidlines for a pack to 2 pack a day smoker are:
Below 30 watts: 12-18 mg
Above 30 watts: 6-12 mg

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree with Zamazam...the mint was probably more soothing on your throat...generally the more VG a liquid has the smoother it is. The more PG and the more Nicotine it has the harsher it is on your throat. Given that you switched types of flavors there might be a bit of an adjustment period and yes, since the nic is lower you might vape a bit more but in time that will level out if you want it too :) I've never vaped "Jimmy the Juice Man's" stuff myself but I've heard good things about it over all....there is far worse garbage you could have been sold to start vaping on for sure. The quality of the liquid can play a part in how it vapes as well....there's a big difference in cheap China juice that's been sitting on the shelf for awhile to a quality mix made here in the states...also, as liquid "steeps" (fancy word for ages :) ) it can change in flavor and smoothness as well....usually a juice does most of it's steeping with in the first month of being mixed but some blends, like most tobacco flavors depending on if they have certain extracts in them or not, can take up to three months or more for them to finish their steeping process.

Most importantly, if you don't like it then don't vape it...especially if you got it for just a couple bucks on the cheap. I would go back to the shop you went to and see if they have a "sample bar"...just about every vape shop does....they have a bunch of liquid loaded up in test tanks or cartos and put little vape condoms on them for each person to test the flavors and then throw them away so you're not sharing germs with strangers :) try everything, I mean everything, till your tastebuds go numb and you can't taste anything...but give yourself a few seconds between each flavor so you don't overload them right away...vaping is a very personal thing...it's not about what I think you should like but what you like...I can't vape your vape for you. FInd a juice that makes you happy...even if it's a couple bucks more...you can worry about cheap juice later. Right now you just need to find something good that works for you to keep you vaping happy and away from the stinkys :)

Hope this helps a little...happy vaping and good luck :)

By the way, if no one else has said it...welcome to VU :) hope you enjoy your stay

VU Sponsors