Become a Patron!

Acetone

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi
My dad suggested to try acetone cleaning the brass and copper switch contacts in my mech mods..has anybody tried this?

from Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just keep it off of any plastic parts. I would think that includes delrin.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just keep it off of any plastic parts. I would think that includes delrin.
Researching online DuPont states derlin isn't affected by acetone..so I bought a can at home depot and submerged one of my old insulators in it overnight in a sealed glass jar..much to my delight it didn't affect it at all..
So I used a Q-tip with a little acetone and it made my brass/copper switch squeaky clean in short order ..works great!
Thx for your post

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Great. I wouldn't have bet the stuff in most mods had even a passing acquaintance with DuPont.:)

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great. I wouldn't have bet the stuff in most mods had even a passing acquaintance with DuPont.:)
Thanks.. I said DuPont because my mods are authentic American made and use Derlin, made in America by the DuPont company...Don't know what the Chinese call "derlin" as I don't do Chinese made mods..acetone will probly be bad for those I would think..

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah the "delrin" seems to be a mental block. I know the correct spelling but this isn't the first time my fingers didn't get the memo. Spell checkers don't help on that one. Acetone will melt most plastic based compounds.
Edit: Seems to actually be a block since it is in fact delrin. Good grief!

Last edited:

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi
My dad suggested to try acetone cleaning the brass and copper switch contacts in my mech mods..has anybody tried this?

Yup. It's what i use and it works amazingly well. I got a bottle of %100 acetone from the nail polish department. You should be able to find it at any department store. Even the dollar store(that’s where i found it)!

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hi

As a painter for 30 years I know a lot about chemicals and solvents Stay away from that stuff.. for many reasons One is the fumes the other is the residue it will leave behind... not a good mix with a battery...Boom!!! the other is what lefty said it will melt any plastic parts or make them brittle ...if you want a safe and cheap way to clean just dab some ketchup on for 10 mins or so then rinse off with warm water and dry

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yup. It's what i use and it works amazingly well. I got a bottle of %100 acetone from the nail polish department. You should be able to find it at any department store. Even the dollar store(that’s where i found it)!
Clean that residue off please... Just use warm soapy water and dry..even use a hair dryer to dry

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
As a painter for 30 years I know a lot about chemicals and solvents Stay away from that stuff.. for many reasons One is the fumes the other is the residue it will leave behind... not a good mix with a battery...Boom!!! the other is what lefty said it will melt any plastic parts or make them brittle ...if you want a safe and cheap way to clean just dab some ketchup on for 10 mins or so then rinse off with warm water and dry
So, dont buy finger nail polish remover? ;)

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Clean that residue off please... Just use warm soapy water and dry..even use a hair dryer to dry

Oh i thought it just all evaporated like denatured alcohol. Thanks for letting me know. I used it to clean the threads on both my 4nines just recently.

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
All i did was dip qtips in it and scrub the threads.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Oh i thought it just all evaporated like denatured alcohol. Thanks for letting me know. I used it to clean the threads on both my 4nines just recently.
Nope...pretty much anything leaves a residue even water...that's what a water stain is but water residue won't go..Boom!:)

jovial_evil

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Reminds me, taco bell sauce cleans too. Would use it on pennies.

Will add some extra flavor too

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't know about that making run to the border but I know that shit makes me run to the bathroom:D
Ya.. worked there as a kid, ate mexican pizzas every day as an adult, had to quit when I hit 30 :(

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Didn't they get shit for saying it had beef in it when there wasn't
Ya.. wood pulp or something like that.. Thats also, I believe, why I had to quit eating them even though they didnt get found out till years later

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do not use nail polish remover haha or paint thinner... The correct way to clean the metal is to de oxidize it the easiest way is with regular old lemon juice
it will also clean your brass and copper mods.. Now if you want to do it the professional way use detoxit it costs a bit but will remove all the junk and actually improve the connection.. read up on it..... Will Acetone work... ummm maybe.. but if you get that one your skin like I have it will make you very sick..

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do not use nail polish remover haha or paint thinner... The correct way to clean the metal is to de oxidize it the easiest way is with regular old lemon juice
it will also clean your brass and copper mods.. Now if you want to do it the professional way use detoxit it costs a bit but will remove all the junk and actually improve the connection.. read up on it..... Will Acetone work... ummm maybe.. but if you get that one your skin like I have it will make you very sick..
Not really.. Acetone is nail polish remove..

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
nail polish remover is made of PEOPLE!!!!!
97f0c768.jpg

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ah ha - well, tell that to all the manicure salons around here......LOL:p (And, yes, they wrap your fingers in pure acetone for at least 15 minutes!)
@AmandaD do not feed the scary man things hahah Yes I agree they do and I have had many a GF give me manicures with some kind of twisted love..
And some like to stick it in or let stick in. all the wrong places haha but that don't make it right safe or sane :) hehehe

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Of the people, For the people?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Vinegar, Lemon juice - it's all good. Acetic acid vs Citric acid. It's the acid that cleans the oxides and crap off the metal. Just don't use Lysergic acid diethylamide. If you do, your mod might grow teeth and snarl at you.

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Vinegar, Lemon juice - it's all good. Acetic acid vs Citric acid. It's the acid that cleans the oxides and crap off the metal. Just don't use Lysergic acid diethylamide. If you do, your mod might grow teeth and snarl at you.
Yeah thats for sure ...Or you may have a trip where you never return from kinda like Sid Barret of Pink Floyd..

VU Sponsors