Become a Patron!

Advice for getting the most from my 100w mod

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have an Aegis 100w mod and I"ve never been able to get the performance out of it that I want. I've taken care of some issues and it's working better for me, but 100w just hasn't been enough power for me. I wanted to get some advice on how to get the cloudiest, warmest vape possible from a single Ijoy 26650 while still running dual coils. Something that will be fairly consistent. So far the best I've been able to is get is good performance for 20 puffs or so, then the vape turns anemic for the rest of the charge. What can I do to get more consistent performance out of this mod?

Some info about the mod-
Can use coils as low as 0.05
The mod has standard wattge mode
It has Bypass Mode which uses the direct voltage of the battery, like a mech
There is a VPC mode which can set a power curve by watts

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok thanks. What range would be good for that, like 0.5? I've got plenty of mods but only 2 that can handle my work environment and my Tank T2 is messing up.
ok gotcha. What ohms are you running now? 0.5 would be a good place to start.

You might not get the warm cloudy vape you're looking for though.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ok gotcha. What ohms are you running now? 0.5 would be a good place to start.

You might not get the warm cloudy vape you're looking for though.
Between 0.1-0.2
I just tried one of my series builds on it and it didn't really vape any differently, but its 0.35 so I will try something higher. I thought resistance didn't matter on a regulated mod but that's why I started this thread.

How would building higher help me though? I guess I don't understand how that would work.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Between 0.1-0.2
I just tried one of my series builds on it and it didn't really vape any differently, but its 0.35 so I will try something higher. I thought resistance didn't matter on a regulated mod but that's why I started this thread.

How would building higher help me though? I guess I don't understand how that would work.

The lower the coil resistance (ohms), the more watts you're going to need to heat it up.

With a higher resistance coil, it'll take less watts to heat up.

the more watts you run, the less battery life you will get. (sort of)

Last edited:

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lets say this is your build, .15ohm @ 100watts = 3.8V and 25amps

To get the same volts with a higher ohm coil, 3.8V @ .5ohm = 28watts and 7amps

The more amps you use, the less battery life you will have.

Basically, higher ohm coils take less power to heat up lol.

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Build a 6 wrap 26 ga Kanthal coil out of round wire about 3mm ID for about .8 ohms....Wraps should be SPACED evenly. 3.5 or 4mm work too.

Wick the crap outta it.

Set the mod on 40 watts and hit it. go up to 100 to get the heat you want.

Smile or try again.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Steam-engine.org is your friend..... Use it to play with builds using alternate materials wraps and power.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But your not going to get more puffs from 100watts without going to MORE batteries. Really need more batteries to get More than 100watts anyway.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lets say this is your build, .15ohm @ 100watts = 3.8V and 25amps

To get the same volts with a higher ohm coil, 3.8V @ .5ohm = 28watts and 7amps

The more amps you use, the less battery life you will have.

Basically, higher ohm coils take less power to heat up lol.
Ok then how does that make it harder to get clouds and heat?

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IME - you will get the most out of a regulated mod by vaping it at half the stated max wattage
Yeah I hear this but there isn't much of a selection of waterproof mods so I'm trying to work with what I've got. I'm not trying to get more use out of it anyway I'm trying to get a vape that isn't completely unsatisfying. It may not be possible but I'm still looking for advice to go in the right direction.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Because, typically a higher ohm coil has less surface area so not as much juice is being evaporated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ok that's all making sense now. Thanks for the help.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

No problem! If you understand all that, then you're on your way to knowing how to work a mech mod.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No problem! If you understand all that, then you're on your way to knowing how to work a mech mod.

I've already got a few mech mods. I understand ohms law and battery safety I just don't completely understand how regulated mods work.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Because, typically a higher ohm coil has less surface area so not as much juice is being evaporated.

Wait, I'm not getting something. If you add wraps you're adding surface area and also raising the resistance.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wait, I'm not getting something. If you add wraps you're adding surface area and also raising the resistance.

True. There are a lot of things that go into a coil to get it to perform optimally.

If you add wraps to bring the resistance up, that's more wire mass that needs to be heated. Which means a slower ramp up and more power being needed to heat up the coils. So now you're back to using up battery.

The goal is to find a balance between power and surface area.

Instead of adding wraps, you'll want to use a higher gage wire. That's where you lose surface area but save on battery.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I hope someone comes out with a durable dual battery mod for you to use. I'm sire it's just a matter of time. I know it sucks not having a satisfactory vape.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Of course that assumes you got the higher ohm via using g smaller wire....

You get more surface area and higher ohm just by adding wraps also..

Steam-engine.org is your friend.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Of course that assumes you got the higher ohm via using g smaller wire....

You get more surface area and higher ohm just by adding wraps also..

Steam-engine.org is your friend.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
If you add a wrap on a particular coil it will raise the resistance but it will cool the vape so you would have to raise the watts.

If you use thinner wire which raises the resistance it will also need less watts to heat up.

Think like back in the day when people had 36gauge 5 wrap in their replacement coils at 1.8 ohm. If you put more than 20 watts you would burn the juice but if you take 26gauge and make a 1.8 ohm coil now you are 12 wraps on a 3mm running 60+watts

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You could try 28gauge dual coils or parallel 28 dual coils. Both should be fairly good i used 28 alot when i started plus its great for fused claptons once you get there.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
I have 3 26650 mods and the first battery I bought was an eFest.
I had an Aegis as well.
All four mods performed exactly as you've described with the eFest battery.
I bought 2 Hohmtech 26650 batteries and the difference was night and day.

Also, I have an iJoy Capo Squonker that came with an iJoy battery and it performs better with a good 18650 than it does with the iJoy battery.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away!

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You could try 28gauge dual coils or parallel 28 dual coils. Both should be fairly good i used 28 alot when i started plus its great for fused claptons once you get there.
That's what I ended up doing. 28g n80 7 wraps dual 2.5mm spaced

It's performing better now but it doesn't have much taste. It is tolerable with a stinger flavored juice. At least I will get my box fix.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have 3 26650 mods and the first battery I bought was an eFest.
I had an Aegis as well.
All four mods performed exactly as you've described with the eFest battery.
I bought 2 Hohmtech 26650 batteries and the difference was night and day.

Also, I have an iJoy Capo Squonker that came with an iJoy battery and it performs better with a good 18650 than it does with the iJoy battery.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away!
I bought 4 of the hohm grown cells when I picked up the mod and honestly they suck. The ijoy 26650 should not perform any worse than an 18650. Look at Mooch's pulse graph comparing the vtc5a to the ijoy 26650, the ijoy has LESS voltage sag than a vtc5a. That's why I only use ijoy 26650s with my 26650 mods.

VU Sponsors