Become a Patron!

Advice needed with Tesla Stealth 100W

Hi fellow Vapers

Im very new to vaping as just 2 weeks ago i purchased a Smok AL85 kit but didn't like the tank kept leaking and then i tried a friend's set up which was Tesla Stealth 40W with Kangertech Subtank Mini and i loved the flavor and ease of use, so i decided to try and make the same set up

I went for the 100W because I thought the battery was better but not having any screen makes it hard for me to set it up nicely.

I built a 5 wraps, 2'5mm, 28 gauge Kanthal coil, into the Kangertech Subtank Mini's single coil RBA

The problem is that mod fires too hot and easily getting dry hit, can't take one nice looong drag without that throat burning sensation. Can anyone tell me what Im doing wrong?

With the exact same tank set up, when i move it to the AL85, i can only vape at about 8-9W without getting the same burning feeling. And that coil reads 1.175ohms on this device, but with 5 wraps shouldn't it be around 0.5ohms?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I hope some kind soul can tell me what im doing wrong.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My coil calculator says that you should be around 0.94Ω on a single coil. Being only about .15Ω off off that isn't too bad actually.

As for the dry hits, you might make sure that your wicking isn't to tight on your tank. That's an easy problem to fix usually with a bit of trial and error.

The mod getting hot is a different story. Unless you are putting way too many amps (which I doubt with that build, as that wattage), I don't see why it is getting hot. Perhaps @CrazyChef or @raymo2u can chime in and see if they can find a good reason for this issue.

Welcome to VU and I hope this helps a bit in your issue.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

My coil calculator says that you should be around 0.94Ω on a single coil. Being only about .15Ω off off that isn't too bad actually.

As for the dry hits, you might make sure that your wicking isn't to tight on your tank. That's an easy problem to fix usually with a bit of trial and error.

The mod getting hot is a different story. Unless you are putting way too many amps (which I doubt with that build, as that wattage), I don't see why it is getting hot. Perhaps @CrazyChef or @raymo2u can chime in and see if they can find a good reason for this issue.

Welcome to VU and I hope this helps a bit in your issue.

Thank you for your quick reply!
So my coil isn't far off where it needs to be thats good news

By heating, i meant the smoke, when i inhale, on the tesla stealth 100W, is too "hot" and burns my throat, the device does not heat up and works properly. It feels like puffing on above 40W and too hot, flavor tastes burnt and unpleasant, vape comes too quick and cant take long drags.
I figured there must be something i can do to vape nicely and smoothly on that device since lots of people seem happy with it?

Again, the same tank on AL85 can't go above 9W without getting similar taste, is it normal not being able to go above such low wattage?

Noted abt the wicking will try and losen it up

Thx again for ur advice

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you for your quick reply!
So my coil isn't far off where it needs to be thats good news

By heating, i meant the smoke, when i inhale, on the tesla stealth 100W, is too "hot" and burns my throat, the device does not heat up and works properly. It feels like puffing on above 40W and too hot, flavor tastes burnt and unpleasant, vape comes too quick and cant take long drags.
I figured there must be something i can do to vape nicely and smoothly on that device since lots of people seem happy with it?

Again, the same tank on AL85 can't go above 9W without getting similar taste, is it normal not being able to go above such low wattage?

Noted abt the wicking will try and losen it up

Thx again for ur advice
Np at all, and yes, vaping at almost 1.2Ω is a very low wattage vape, meant for flavor and low juice consumption but little vapor. 9w is about right at that kind of resistance. You could easily do say a .6-.8Ω coil and very a little more vapor without killing your juice and battery. Will vape at a little higher wattage too, just guessing off the top of my head, but maybe at around 20w.

Play around a bit and see what kind of vape experience you enjoy the most.

Well, i just tried the stock spare coil that came with the subtank mini and

-it reads at 0.5ohms (same number of wraps,5)
-it vapes SUPERB even at just 10W

But that's in the AL85

Then switch to Tesla mod and it SUCKS, vape is too hot and burns throat.
Big regrets buying that crappy mod! Buyers beware...

Thx again:)

Btw man, can i ask u, why is it that at equal number of wraps, mine read 1.1ohms but the stock coil reads 0.5 as intended?
Is it coz im using 28gauge and should use 26 instead?

jjdell

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got one of those and here's what I've found. It is a good pocket vape but not as great as its made out to be. I like it a lot but it has its limitations and does not work fully as it is implied to. I have a Cleito tank. The .27 coils fire great, big clouds but run a smidge hotter than the same tank and coil does on the Aspire K4 battery. The extra heat, not much extra but just noticeable, does reduce the overall flavour by say 10%. It fires the .4 in a similar way. But the SS Cleito .4 it fires so weakly its not worth using. The others fire up instantly, the SS takes several seconds. I also tried a Juppi on it with a .2 coil and the results were the same as the Cleito .27 & .4, fired ok but a smidge warm and slight flavour loss. For what the Tesla 100 is made for, stealth vaping, pocket carry about its a great little bit of kit but i dont beleive it can adjust itself optimally for each coil as it is suggested it can. It seems to consistently fire on the warm side. But i still use it when i go out and still like it.

VU Sponsors