Become a Patron!

Advice on My first rda/mech

Hey everyone.
A little background first:
I've been vaping for about a month and a half after successfully kicking a habit of 12 years on analogs. I started out with a eGO kit and used it for about 2 weeks before going back in for a dual bottom coil. I didn't know at the time that the store I was going to was a piece of cap so they upgraded me to their only dual bottom coil.. and evod 2. I had it for about a week, maybe less before shelling out $40 at a new store for an aero tank mega and "borrowing" my brothers itaste SVD. I used this setup for another 2 weeks while waiting for my kraken to arrive from fasttech and discovered a high end "pro style" store that sells five pawns and the like. I gotta say, I wanted the kraken because I liked the convenience of the tank, but wanted to try out the rba side and I had heard it gives excellent flavor (this is true). Well it didn't take long (a couple of days maybe) before I totally stopped using the tank and started dripping directly on the coil. This has been my setup for the past 2 or 3 weeks while getting ready to go all in.
In order to support my new habit, I've decided to sell off some unused instruments, when the cash comes in I will be ready to make the plunge into what I hope to be my last big purchase for a while...
So here is what I'm looking for:
Atty:
I want an RDA deffinately. No more tanks for me, absolutely not, I drip 24/7. I want flavor flavor flavor but I also like the idea of cloud chasing ( and it's cool as shit to be able to fill a room with vapor on my own). I know if I don't make sure it can produce, I will be buying a second in a matter of weeks. I'm a quick learner so I'm not too worried about complexity, but simplicity is always easier.
I've been following RipTrippers pretty heavily and based on his opinion I have decided on the plume veil. Second option to the veritos only because I'm not a huge fan of vertical coils and would like to be able to run a quad setup if I wanted to. Since I'm also using it on the road a larger deck that holds more juice would also be nice. I would also prefer the type of connections where you push the wire thru a hole instead of fitting under the screw head. My kraken has this and it's a mother.
MOD: I'm not quite as picky about the mod. I want a magnetic throw, bottom switch, 18650, that can kick some serious ass. I'm partial to the designs of the stingray and nemesis, but leaning heavily towards the stingray since the nemesis doesn't have magnetic throw and seems a little older and outdated as far as technology goes.

For both I am partial to a copper or brass design, but it doesn't have to be. I like to be different from what everyone else has. I would build my own if it wasn't for being concerned with battery safety and my limited understanding thereof.

I am also planning on chucking all my old noname brand batteries and buying 2 or 3 18650 purple effest from the batter safety standpoint.

Everything I have mentioned is flexible. My keyboard alone is gonna a bring in ~$150. My local store carries clones of all kinds and I can look them over before hand so that's what I'll be purchasing.

Please let me know your thoughts and advice. I'm very interested.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Copper Penny clone and a Vulcan RDA for flavor, or a 454 Big block RDA (for quad coils)

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Better vids out there than shit sniffers "sick as tits" bullshit.
Hell even our own nitrobex does better builds and has more solid advice that shit sniffer.

For batteries honestly Sony vtc4 or 5 or MNKE are going to get you more of a safety net amp wise than efest.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah don't listen to rip trippers I fell for his sales pitch I mean reviews before. The veritas is very nice. The plume veil does "chuck the clouds" but flavor isn't super fantastic like that tool makes it out to be. And it leaks! The new CLT v2 is better IMO

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
plume veil and magma are must haves. and i would suggest an orchid (v2, v3, or v4) for when you are out an about. its a tank but vapes like a dripper

I'm a bit in shock from the unexpected responses I've gotten. Everyone seems in agreement that Rip tripper sucks. Ok, what about green grimm? I gotta have somewhere to go to learn without spending a ton of cash and teaching myself the hard way.
As for batteries, I heard a sick rumor that Sony doesn't actually make these batteries, but it's some knock off third party company claiming to be sony. I don't have much knowledge or experience on the MNKE batteries but I have heard a lot of guys stand by them.

For the atty I guess it's important to mention I'm planning on making my own juice, and flavor will be most important once I start, however maybe a one size fits all wouldn't be best for me afterall. Maybe let's change the format. Give me two attys, rda only. One for flavor, one for overall performance and it "chucks the clouds".

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
the rose doesnt take a back seat to any rebuildable tank ... IMO

for a flavor rebuildable dripping atomizer the vucan is ok, the origin v2 or magma are top notch and dont overlook the veritas just because it utilizes vertical coils

cant speak to cloud machines, not my thing...

once i found an rda that held a few drops of eliquid , and the 30 watt battery mods, i havent used a tank since...

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
rip doesnt suck he just is the most subbed reviewer and only reviews things he likes so it seems like everything is "SICK AS TITZ" and just a promo gig. grimm is a good reviewer too and pbusardo. as you go through reviewers you learn their style and what to expect to an extent. for example when rip throws up a review i know its bc he likes it for the most part, when pbusardo does a review i know its going to be nit picky and cover all the bases. they all have their place imo

SusanP4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Many spring loaded throws can easily be converted to magnets. don't automatically reject a mod until you check.

Nitrowolf72

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Look into a copper mutant mod. I have a friend who just bought one and it has the magnet throw. I'm not a fan if it but to each their own. Can't really recommend an atty. I have several and like them all. Not a big fan of the plume veil, just got an infinite clt but she gets hot quick with a .5 ohm build. The tobh atty is pretty nice. Cloud chasing is gonna be just as much about your build and juice as much as your atty.

Thanks for all the responses guys. If I've learned anything from this its that there is no right answer to my question. It really sounds like it's gonna be a matter of personal preference. I think I'm gonna spend about an hour looking over everything they have in the local shop and see what direction they advise me as well. I want to support the local community so it's also gonna depend on what they have on hand.

Seanchai

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do take a look at the magma before you commit to an RBA. It may or may not be what you're looking for (you can't quad coil it, so if that's a dealbreaker, move on to other options) but it's one of the best flavor attys out there, has a very deep drip well, has holes in the posts, and blows respectable clouds. My mother drives for a living and the only RBA she'll use on the road is the Magma because the drip well is big enough that she doesn't have to "drip and drive"... she can fill it up and be good for quite a while.

Seanchai

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Quad isn't a deal breaker at all. I'll check it out. Can it run cotton well?

Yup, runs cotton extremely well. One of the reasons I like it is because it's not very fiddly in terms of wicking. Pretty much a wick and go kind of atty.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
not to 'dis cotton (not my intention at all), but, while your getting your google fu on, you need to check out the ceramic wick offered up by rba supplies .com...flat out no bullshit, its pretty awesome wick

VU Sponsors