Become a Patron!

Advice

Hi,I have a few questions hoping to get some help
I like more of a cloud & less of a chest hit. I use 70/30 juice with 6mg nic. If I go to a higher dose of nic. will that give me a stronger chest hit? I only ask that for I think I crave more nic.

I use a kangertech evod mega with as sub olm coil of 0.8 Is this a right way to go? or am I using anything the wrong way? it works for me & I like it, I am just asking to make sure I am using the right juice with coil & the cig alone :)

As for my mom now, she likes the chest hit but wants more smoke to exhale
she has the same cig I have & is using the original coil that came with the cig.
she uses 50/50 juice. what should she use to exhale more smoke & have her chest hit & not have to use high vg? or does she need to use high vg to have more cloud?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
More Vg will lower the chest thump feeling, for more clouds your mom wants a different atty that is a direct lung open air flow atty. and 50/50 she is not going to get it, think like 85+ vg for her.

For your set up ya you are are going about it the right way, up the watts instead of the nic a .8 is decent if powered correctly. but you might want to look into a totally different atty also.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
if it works for you and you like it.. then that is the way to go. lol. Vape the way you like.
Now, as for your mom..
She needs a new kit. Something with adjustable wattage and a tank that takes sub ohm or rebuildable coils.
I have been using the same kanger toptank mini with mini RBA for about 9 months. No problems as long as you are careful putting it back together after changing coils or cleaning, and since it is top fill you MUST turn off the airflow before filling. (otherwise you lose negative pressure in the tank which can cause leaking)
Any regulated mod that will do 40 watts is more than powerful enough. I usually use mine at 28 to 30w. One with a removable rechargeable battery is best. $12 for a new battery once a year is cheaper than $50 for a new built in battery mod, right?

https://www.fasttech.com/product/4024102-authentic-kangertech-topbox-mini-starter-kit

Of course there are others, but this is the one I know. And I know it well enough to show you how to rebuild coils for it. :) Which I have done for others. LOL.. crappy video, but it shows what you need to see. (running a $3 web cam, so it wont be an HBO special anytime soon.)

This new set up will let your mom get pretty big clouds which will also give more hit, since they are bigger clouds and have more nic per puff.
Clouds on toptank mini.. 30w using a coil I built for this atomizer. (3 strands of parallel 32ga stainless steel wire, 6 wraps on a 3mm id core.) but other coils works as well.

You can skip to 1min and 20 seconds. Before that is just showing how to wick the rba

LOL ask your mom if that is cloudy enough.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you and your mom are too intimidated as a beginner, at the thought of building coils right off the bat, there are tons of tanks out there that are easier and have premade coils available that you can use in them. I'm not too keen on folks suggesting the rebuildable tanks for beginners until they have some experience with vaping first. Good luck!!

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
If you and your mom are too intimidated as a beginner, at the thought of building coils right off the bat, there are tons of tanks out there that are easier and have premade coils available that you can use in them. I'm not too keen on folks suggesting the rebuildable tanks for beginners until they have some experience with vaping first. Good luck!!
Yeah, that kanger tank comes with 2 prebuilt coils. 0.5 and 0.8 ohm I believe. It may have changed since I got mine though. Both give decent clouds. (but the 0.5 gives bigger clouds)
I will say, building a simple coil is really easy. The hardest part is doing the first one. In fact, if you go pull a twist tie out of a pack of baggies, strip off the plastic, you can make a coil by wrapping it around a nail. (DONT USE IT to vape.. but that is all there really is to building a coil).
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp tells you everything you need to know about building one.
I think the biggest problem your mom will have with that kanger box.. is keeping YOUR hands off it. LOL

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My point was about overwhelming a beginner , I'm not needing to have to be told how easy it is. :)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
My point was about overwhelming a beginner , I'm not needing to have to be told how easy it is. :)
lol Oh it wasn't for you. Just saying coil building isn't something to be nervous about trying. Only the first one is hard. I know what you are saying about beginners and rebuildable tanks, but that one I suggested uses both, with an option to use the rebuildable. I bought that after my 2nd week on a vape pen. It was just as easy to use as the tank that came on my vplum..but it didn't burn through coils as much. LOL Truth be told.. i used it on my 16w vplum battery for a month before getting an actual mod. I probably should have mentioned the prebuilt coils that come with it, but i figured they listed the details in the link.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I agree that coil building is very easy, I started after I'd been vaping for about 2 months... but at first, it was TERRIFYING. Until I was ready to tackle something new, different, and wholly outside any of my previous experience, building coils was not anything I wanted to do.

We each have to arrive at whatever points we aim at, in our own time.

The other advice here is very sound; more VG (and/or more heat/wattage) will produce more and thicker clouds. More PG, and/or more nicotine, will give more throat hit, if that's what the OP means by "chest thump" -- I don't inhale very deeply myself, but I HAVE TO have solid throat hit or I'm not satisfied. If the OP is fairly new to vaping, 6mg *might* be a bit on the low side -- I started at 6mg with a cigalike and quit smoking, but everyone assured me that was impossible.... guess it wasn't. :D

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I agree that coil building is very easy, I started after I'd been vaping for about 2 months... but at first, it was TERRIFYING. Until I was ready to tackle something new, different, and wholly outside any of my previous experience, building coils was not anything I wanted to do.

We each have to arrive at whatever points we aim at, in our own time.

The other advice here is very sound; more VG (and/or more heat/wattage) will produce more and thicker clouds. More PG, and/or more nicotine, will give more throat hit, if that's what the OP means by "chest thump" -- I don't inhale very deeply myself, but I HAVE TO have solid throat hit or I'm not satisfied. If the OP is fairly new to vaping, 6mg *might* be a bit on the low side -- I started at 6mg with a cigalike and quit smoking, but everyone assured me that was impossible.... guess it wasn't. :D

Andria

So after you built your first coil.. did you think "That's it??? That is all there is to it? " And wonder why you didn't do it sooner. lol
I had to put mouse traps around my desk. I kept dropping the screws and when I went looking, they were gone. Never seen again. I am sure gremlins or evil little elves got them. Crafty little buggers though, I stiff haven't caught one.

I had to look up the mod they are using. Don't think it has any wattage adjustment. Just a fire button. Taking into consideration, his mom wanted the throat hit and more clouds, the only real option for both is a new beginner kit. Something with a decent tank and variable wattage. Even if they never used the RBA, the stock coils will give bigger clouds, just because you can up the wattage and air flow a bit. So even with the same 50/50 juice, the hit stays about the same, but the cloud is fluffier. I suggested the kanger because I use that one, so I know how it performs. There are other options of course, but none I could personally recommend. And of course, the price is pretty decent. I paid $50 just for my tank. (local shop). I didn't mind paying a bit more because he spent an hour answering questions.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So after you built your first coil.. did you think "That's it??? That is all there is to it? " And wonder why you didn't do it sooner. lol
I had to put mouse traps around my desk. I kept dropping the screws and when I went looking, they were gone. Never seen again. I am sure gremlins or evil little elves got them. Crafty little buggers though, I stiff haven't caught one.

Heh.. actually I kinda snuck up on coil building. At the time I started, I had a really old PC that had hardly any video RAM, so watching videos was truly painful... I struggled thru one just to see what it was like; I still wasn't convinced I wanted to do it, but "just for the hell of it," I wrapped some wire around a drillbit.... and I was thrilled to have actually done that much, though I didn't know yet about flaming the wire so it would keep its shape and not go SPROING! the minute I released it. And the first coils I rebuilt were bastards, Kanger T3S's, very similar to Protank heads, and in that small atomizer, didn't really make much of a diff in the vape -- but it allowed me to feel confident enough to order a Kayfun clone, and THAT made all the difference!

But I had to start with something I could just screw a coil head into. The T3S gave me that, and it was a real improvement over the eRoll cigalikes, so it served its purpose well.

Andria

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
lol Oh it wasn't for you. Just saying coil building isn't something to be nervous about trying. Only the first one is hard. I know what you are saying about beginners and rebuildable tanks, but that one I suggested uses both, with an option to use the rebuildable. I bought that after my 2nd week on a vape pen. It was just as easy to use as the tank that came on my vplum..but it didn't burn through coils as much. LOL Truth be told.. i used it on my 16w vplum battery for a month before getting an actual mod. I probably should have mentioned the prebuilt coils that come with it, but i figured they listed the details in the link.
Yes you should have mentioned prebuilt coils and what may be easy for you may not be for others.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I kind of sneaked up to building coils as well, and using mechanical mods. Now, I doubt I would return to using factory built coils or regulated mods. I disliked trying to build tiny micro-coils. Arthritis, nerve problems are inclined to be anathema doing that.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I always pimp the Eleaf Pico full kit to beginners. Not too expensive, the Melo tank works well and there's a ton of coils that fit.
The on board charging and pass through work well also. I've had mine for about 6 mo and no problems.

Thanks guys`s, we are not going to start building anything though lol lord knows what will come out of it. If there is a vaper that has coils we can switch to find our likings to, that would be great! with her having the kangerteck subox nano what will she need to use on that, to be able to get her chest hit & to exhale more smoke? she also smokes 18 mg nicotine. what coil & type of juice,

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Thanks guys`s, we are not going to start building anything though lol lord knows what will come out of it. If there is a vaper that has coils we can switch to find our likings to, that would be great! with her having the kangerteck subox nano what will she need to use on that, to be able to get her chest hit & to exhale more smoke? she also smokes 18 mg nicotine. what coil & type of juice,
For chest hit, go higher pg to vg ratio. Pg gives the hit, vg gives the cloud. Now you can also use a lower resistance prebuilt coil. Try 0.8, 0.5 and 0.3 ohm
I can't suggest which of the 3, since I don't know which you have tried and if you liked them or not. Just remember, with a prebuild coil it is super important to start at low power and work your way up. The more power you use, the more air flow you need. Now, on a tank like the nana, your air flow is limited to just what is built into the tank, So you can probably start around 20w, and go up as high as 33w, maybe 37 on a 0.30 ohm coil. You'll know when it starts to get a bit hot and just turn it down a couple watts until you find where you like.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I never cared how much smoke my cigarettes put out and I don't care how much vapor my vape puts out

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I never cared how much smoke my cigarettes put out and I don't care how much vapor my vape puts out
It's kind of like adding butter to your potatoes, even though you know there is butter in them when they were mashed.. some people like to SEE it. Personal satisfaction I guess. Now me, I like the clouds, but it is a hobby. Also helped me quit smoking, if i was researching coil builds and clouds, I wasn't thinking about cigarettes.

VU Sponsors