Become a Patron!

Alien charging

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got a smok alien. Does anybody charge with the mod? I know it's best to do it in external chargers...but on the go...is a nice option to just plug it in.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just got a smok alien. Does anybody charge with the mod? I know it's best to do it in external chargers...but on the go...is a nice option to just plug it in.

I do... I also rotate the batteries about once a week and keep a close eye on it... I'm waiting for our check to get in to get me a battery charger. Its been doing great the last almost 4 weeks. :)

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a bit of a lengthy vid but djlsb vapes did a full teardown and tested it. He gave it high ratings for well balanced charging. If I recall correctly he even put a seriously mismatched pair of batteries into it and charged them, one with like 25% charge and one with 75% charge or something. Then after they were charged he checked them and they were extremely close to one another. Bit of a worst case scenario but still performed well.

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It does have balanced chsrging I just watched that part of the video

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did before I got a charger. No problems that I noticed. It does tell the batteries percent charged which is pretty cool.

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a single charger so I'll use it when I can....but I will just charge in mod until I get me a new charger

frigusoris

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Figured I'd put in my 2 cents. The Alien seems to do a great job of battery management in general. I can't speak for on board charging as I have yet to use that feature but every time I've charged my batteries they are within 15 mAh of each other. I charge on a Hitec X1 AC Plus hobby charger. I usually charge one cell at a time so I get a full readout on how much mAh are going into each cell. My first cycle on the batteries they were about 200 mAh off, but they were off from the get go. The next three charge cycles have been ~15, ~14, and ~12 mAh off, which is pretty damn good for two ~2500 mAh cells. I usually drain down to about 33-20% before tossing them on the charger at 2 Ah. Being a smart charger it adjusts the current down as the cell gets topped up so it starts at 2.0 Ah and goes down in .1 increments till it's done.

Given that it manages drain that well it stands to reason it would have a decent charge circuit. I think with this mod at least the old "NEVER charge in your mod!!!111!!!one" motto is to be taken with a grain of salt.

Once again, just my two cents. It's always better to use the best charger available to you, but I don't think you're risking a meltdown if you charge through your Alien.

*Edit* I'm using two Samsung 25r's, hence the ~2500 mAh

VU Sponsors