Become a Patron!

All Things MTL ...

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think we have a thread like this.
==========================

Like the title says. All things MTL.

What is considered MTL?

Where does MTL end and RDTL begin or does anybody care?

What setups do MTL enthusiasts use and why?

RTAs, RDAs, mods, pods, AIOs, power options, TC etc.

Theories on atomizer design. (deck, airflow, chamber size etc.)

I have full confidence that this will be the first thread ever on VU wherein everybody agrees about everything.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Haha. I forgot I even started this thread.
I have been meaning to chime in. I just hate giving my opinions on things for a couple of reasons. 1, just my opinions, certainly might not be the same for others. 2, depends on the day. I have so many that I literally think are the best thing since sliced bread one day, and am ready to sell the next :oops: I was thinking I guess I could at least some mtl things that have had longevity for me for whatever reason. But I would then feel obligated to post the negatives as well :facepalm:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I've just been so happy to see more MTL atties the past year and a half

For awhile there, the vast vast majority of new gear was strictly DL, much of it not even restricted DL

Of course, this starts occurring around the time I decided I had vapocalypse stashed enough for several decades, and had to start devoting discretionary income towards moving

I will say, I am enjoying the Haar a great deal - am wondering if I shouldn't bite the bullet and add a couple more to the stash; it is affordable enough compared to the other gear I covet, lol

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've just been so happy to see more MTL atties the past year and a half

For awhile there, the vast vast majority of new gear was strictly DL, much of it not even restricted DL

Of course, this starts occurring around the time I decided I had vapocalypse stashed enough for several decades, and had to start devoting discretionary income towards moving

I will say, I am enjoying the Haar a great deal - am wondering if I shouldn't bite the bullet and add a couple more to the stash; it is affordable enough compared to the other gear I covet, lol
I've always felt fortunate to enjoy mtl so much. I do the whole spectrum, and like it, but mtl was my love from the get go, and still is. Easier on juice, batteries, coils, wicks, the whole Shebang :)

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
First RTA i built was a 2 Ohm MTL coil. Afraid i'd blow something up with a lower-Ohm/higher wattage coil. :)
Turned out the coil was the easy part; the wick was difficult. Still working on that...
Wicking is a never ending battle for me. I have atty's I have built hundereds if not thousands of times, and I still miss on the wicking from time to time. It's funny because I also thought building the coil would be the hard part. Not the case for me.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Turned out the coil was the easy part; the wick was difficult. Still working on that...
Wicking is a never ending battle for me. I have atty's I have built hundereds if not thousands of times, and I still miss on the wicking from time to time. It's funny because I also thought building the coil would be the hard part. Not the case for me.

Wicking was one of the reasons I adopted squonking earlier than most - it was easier to wick, and I'd still screw it up, lol

Also, RTAs were not that great back in the day, and dripping was out of the question, just too damn lazy, lol

I remember thinking there was and never would be another attie as great as the classic MTL, Chalice III

At the time, I tried the Russian 91% - and the flavor was good for an RTA, but I could never wick it right and had to loosen the cap every couple of hits to get it to wick :giggle:

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wicking was one of the reasons I adopted squonking earlier than most - it was easier to wick, and I'd still screw it up, lol

Also, RTAs were not that great back in the day, and dripping was out of the question, just too damn lazy, lol

I remember thinking there was and never would be another attie as great as the classic MTL, Chalice III

At the time, I tried the Russian 91% - and the flavor was good for an RTA, but I could never wick it right and had to loosen the cap every couple of hits to get it to wick :giggle:
:giggle: I did the same thing with the Russian and KFL 4evaaaaaa :giggle: Finally got them down, but took ages. I like to squonk, but find dripping less of a pita then filling the squonk bottle :crazy: I have truely found my perfect mtl with some of these Billet bridges. Very wicking forgiving, can dial it to what i like, and good capacity :inlove:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
with some of these Billet bridges. Very wicking forgiving, can dial it to what i like, and good capacity :inlove:

I have heard that repeatedly - but avoided that whole rabbit hole

Back in the day, squonking was expensive enough before it went mainstream

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have heard that repeatedly - but avoided that whole rabbit hole

Back in the day, squonking was expensive enough before it went mainstream
It's a rabbit hole for sure........

Oh yeah, I know. I still have some attys with the squonk bottle in them from back when I didn't want to shell out for a Reo :)

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Fortunately today's MTL RTAs are stellar and I find no need for a billet (although I use them on occasion). I like a small 18350, 18500 0r 18650 DNA60 TBH. I have expensive RTAs but honestly there are now some excellent mass produced ones, the Pioneer, the Pandora, the Purity, the Siren, the Gata and more. Used to be I spent 100+ for a decent MTL Rta. Don't need to anymore and the wicking is easy peasy on most.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Fortunately today's MTL RTAs are stellar and I find no need for a billet (although I use them on occasion). I like a small 18350, 18500 0r 18650 DNA60 TBH. I have expensive RTAs but honestly there are now some excellent mass produced ones, the Pioneer, the Pandora, the Purity, the Siren, the Gata and more. Used to be I spent 100+ for a decent MTL Rta. Don't need to anymore and the wicking is easy peasy on most.
Oh I agree, they have come a long way, and I have plenty I love. Kayfun 2019, Pioneer, Zeta, Siren (22 or 24) off the top of my head. All great. I certainly wasn't saying everyone needs a Billet Box, just saying that is where I found my happy place.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

For five years, I'd buy myself a really nice RTA for my birthday, so don't have too many outside of a bunch of Merlins I bought when they first came out

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh I agree, they have come a long way, and I have plenty I love. Kayfun 2019, Pioneer, Zeta, Siren (22 or 24) off the top of my head. All great. I certainly wasn't saying everyone needs a Billet Box, just saying that is where I found my happy place.
The thing is with MTL RTAs you tend to get wet vapes. More cotton is generally better. And thinner drip tips help.

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here is what I find ...

Use thicker e-juice – Generally hear that 50/50 is best for MTL. I find with the newest generation of MTL tanks thin e-juices lead to spitback and leaking.
Pulse the fire button – This means blowing a bit of vapour through the afc before inhaling.
Turn up the power – You might not be vaporizing e-liquid as quickly as your wick is supplying it. Try going up by 5-10 watts if you’re using a variable wattage mod. On mechs try using a lower ohm coil.
Try another drip tip – Angled designs longer drip tips and thinner drip tips
Clean the chimney – Although flooding is the most common cause of spitback, the problem can also be made worse by e-juice collecting in the chimney which eventually makes its way back down to your coil.
Irregular usage - If your atomizer sits for days without being firewd it can accumulate juice on the coils

Spit back is juice accumulating on the coil and not burning off quickly enough. This happens with MTL because we generally don't use a lot of watts.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been meaning to chime in. I just hate giving my opinions on things for a couple of reasons. 1, just my opinions, certainly might not be the same for others. 2, depends on the day. I have so many that I literally think are the best thing since sliced bread one day, and am ready to sell the next :oops: I was thinking I guess I could at least some mtl things that have had longevity for me for whatever reason. But I would then feel obligated to post the negatives as well :facepalm:
i did. I forgot all about it until @Toxic gave it a like :D

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now you oughta know better than to ask something like that on this forum :D

Of course you should LOL!

I'm really enjoying the Haar too. It's a great design, built to last and vapes awesome.

I don't know if you saw, but there's a black diamond coated version (ala Kayfun) and some accessories on the way :wait:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow. There's a lot of great stuff to catch up on in this thread now.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Now you oughta know better than to ask something like that on this forum :D

Of course you should LOL!

I'm really enjoying the Haar too. It's a great design, built to last and vapes awesome.

I don't know if you saw, but there's a black diamond coated version (ala Kayfun) and some accessories on the way :wait:

Oh yeah, not that interested in aftermarket stuff for it honestly; my vapocolypse strategy is to be able to keep vaping in a style I'm accustomed to if it ever comes down to it

This is kind of a late addition and I do like it, but there are others I like too that I only have one of RTA-wise

Most RSAs I have multiples of if I really love them

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I took a pass on the OG Ares. Seems it was a little hyped up and already passed in design by others when it came out. Have not really followed much new stuff in awhile.
Stumbled on the V2 at Sourcemore last week for 19.14 and thought eh, why not, threw a 22 in my cart. Might be pretty good...

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I took a pass on the OG Ares. Seems it was a little hyped up and already passed in design by others when it came out. Have not really followed much new stuff in awhile.
Stumbled on the V2 at Sourcemore last week for 19.14 and thought eh, why not, threw a 22 in my cart. Might be pretty good...
Like to hear what you have to say. I tried like hell with OG, but it just sucks for many reasons imho.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Like to hear what you have to say. I tried like hell with OG, but it just sucks for many reasons imho.
I went through a bunch of China stuff a few years ago that all sucked for various reasons. Everybody and his brother has done a mtl rta since then...
Was surprised to see Todd even reviewed it, then kept waiting for him to point out all the things that sucked on this one.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love the the way the airflow is adjusted on that one. I don't have it, but it's been on my radar.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went through a bunch of China stuff a few years ago that all sucked for various reasons. Everybody and his brother has done a mtl rta since then...
Was surprised to see Todd even reviewed it, then kept waiting for him to point out all the things that sucked on this one.
If you're interested in a great TRUE mtl tank that isn't dirt cheap, but also not stoopid expensive, the BP Pioneer is a must. Excellent and can be had brand new for 55 or 60 bucks.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you're interested in a great TRUE mtl tank that isn't dirt cheap, but also not stoopid expensive, the BP Pioneer is a must. Excellent and can be had brand new for 55 or 60 bucks.
I've looked at that before and was interested. Saw Shady had one posted, changed his mind, then sold it to you or dub, can't remember which. Probably dub, he's kinda sneaky like that. ?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've looked at that before and was interested. Saw Shady had one posted, changed his mind, then sold it to you or dub, can't remember which. Probably dub, he's kinda sneaky like that. ?
Dub grabbed it. I got mine from PizzaDave.
20200813_183556_cr.jpg

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just scored a mint condition blue Dicodes Dani Box Mini. All og packaging etc. Finalized a deal with a very nice fella on Reddit. He just shipped it. 175 :bliss::hearts::stars2:

Still ALOT for a mod, but a great price for that one. A dream item.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am SO geeked. I have wanted a DBM forever, but WAY outta my price range.

It will house the other Kayfun [Lite] 2019 I haven't built yet.

I've read the horror stories about the Didcodes menu structure.
032818_EC_knuckles_main.jpg

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So @dubya314

How is the Dvarw?
It is top of the pile for MTL whether the 22 (which I traded) or the 16 which I use a lot. Not knocking the Pioneer - I have two - but Dvarw is diffewrent category. Like Taifuns, Kayfuns, Integras, et all. It gets pricey though and now there are excellent choices in the 40-60 dollar range - Precisio, Pandora, Augvape (Merlin Nano is basically Dvarw clone), etc. A step up is Gata and Reload MTL. You don't have to spend for a Dvarw - although worth every penny.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So @dubya314

How is the Dvarw?
Still on my first build with it, so I need some time for my full opinion. But so far fantastic, imo. I can guarantee now the clones I had way back when were shotty. I noticed a few things only building it once that were not troublesome that I remember were. I'll pop back in here when I have built it a few times. I don't think I am a good flavor judge. I don't get (or care) about "notes, and hints, and undertones" of flavors. I hate creams, custards and vanillas. I like fruits mixed with menthol, and some sweets mixed with menthol. Nevertheless, the flavors I have run through it are sharp and saturated. As much as the 2019 so far. As we have talked about, it's that saturation part so many seem to lack. The Dvrwa FL (so far) has definitely got it.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Still vaping the bejesus out of the Haar, have nothing new to add to the convo, sadly

Keep a T3 squonker topped with Odis 16 by the computer (so 2018, lol)

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I keep trying some different things, but nothing even coming close to my loves, so sadly nothing to add either.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I keep forgetting this thread is here.

So I finally broke down and snagged one of THESE.

The sale got me.
I have a Bantom Box. While I do like it, there is nothing in hand that makes me go for it over the Billet. So 3000 mAh beats 1100 mAh every time

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a Bantom Box. While I do like it, there is nothing in hand that makes me go for it over the Billet. So 3000 mAh beats 1100 mAh every time
Battery life isn't really that much of a priority for me personally. I just think the Rave is very cool. I have a couple 18350s I got for the Ijoy VPC so I figured I'd try em out. I'll be over an ohm for sure.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just saw a short report on vaping, first one in a long time, and one of the women had a Kayfun [Lite] 2019 :)

VU Sponsors