Become a Patron!

Am I burning my wicks, juice or something else?

so a few key points
*using ipv D2 mod
*using bellus 6ml RTA (RDTA?)
*new to building
* dual coil 0.4 ohms 24 gauge kanthal 2.5 mm core 10 wraps per coil
*85% vg juice (caramel cappuccino dark juice) I have tried with thinner 50/50 juices and still have the same problem.

Problem: when I use the suggested heat for my build (heres the link to the calculator I used with the setup already in http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?s=dp&r=0.4&hfnw=65&awg=24&id=2.5&ll=4) it suggests apprx 65 watts. If I do anything above 40 (and at 40 im not really tasting the juice something else but not pleasant) it tastes terrible like burning something even if I just juiced my wicks by hand. I checked and the wick that is inside of the coil is black. Am I burning my wick? How do I prevent this?

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Any adjustments to the coil do before it's wicked . Once cotton is put in apply NO POWER , till the wick and coil are fully saturated .

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Holy fuck, rdta have a lack of air flow.. over those 10 wrap monsters is like nil airflow.

Get thinner wire.

I promise you have hot spots or are touching the chamber wall.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
so a few key points
*using ipv D2 mod
*using bellus 6ml RTA (RDTA?)
*new to building
* dual coil 0.4 ohms 24 gauge kanthal 2.5 mm core 10 wraps per coil
*85% vg juice (caramel cappuccino dark juice) I have tried with thinner 50/50 juices and still have the same problem.

Problem: when I use the suggested heat for my build (heres the link to the calculator I used with the setup already in http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?s=dp&r=0.4&hfnw=65&awg=24&id=2.5&ll=4) it suggests apprx 65 watts. If I do anything above 40 (and at 40 im not really tasting the juice something else but not pleasant) it tastes terrible like burning something even if I just juiced my wicks by hand. I checked and the wick that is inside of the coil is black. Am I burning my wick? How do I prevent this?
You probably have too much wicking material, chocking it in the coils, thus hindering the juice to reach the cotton in the coils. Without enough juice, obviously, the cotton will turn black real quick.
The steam engine is a guideline only! It's also possible that your juice doesn't like heat.
Check the video, it also shows how to make a build on the bellus.

VU Sponsors