Become a Patron!

Am I charging my battery correctly?

I just upgraded from an eGo CTwist to a mod and am charging my 18650 3.7V 2500mAh battery at .5A, is that safe? Sorry if this is a terrible question im just super new to this! thanks everyoneImageUploadedByTapatalk1415517517.639604.jpg

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just upgraded from an eGo CTwist to a mod and am charging my 18650 3.7V 2500mAh battery at .5A, is that safe? Sorry if this is a terrible question im just super new to this! thanks everyoneView attachment 8615
Ya got a good charger a LUC you can charge it faster if ya want. I charge all mine at .5 ya get a tiny bit of extra run time charging at .5amp not much
I myself have found that it extends life one suggestion would be do not run them down real low it only lessens the life of the battery. I usually never let mine go below 3.5 -3.6

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
thank you! so its just better to charge low when i can, and not run the battery til its dead correct?
Li-ion batteries love to be charged you do not have to keep track of them like the old NIcads or NIMH so yeah you got it..
you can charge at 1amp but in theory it really does not speed up the process much now you can go nutz I think your LUC does 2amps I have a LUC and a zillion other chargers I never chaerge that fast.. it will lessen the life.. looks like your battery is a LG HE so I would suggest getting atleast 4 in time if you only have two so you can rotate them.. I have such a huge rotation I am using 5 chargers but then I am crazy too ;)

Li-ion batteries love to be charged you do not have to keep track of them like the old NIcads or NIMH so yeah you got it..
you can charge at 1amp but in theory it really does not speed up the process much now you can go nutz I think your LUC does 2amps I have a LUC and a zillion other chargers I never chaerge that fast.. it will lessen the life.. looks like your battery is a LG HE so I would suggest getting atleast 4 in time if you only have two so you can rotate them.. I have such a huge rotation I am using 5 chargers but then I am crazy too ;)
cool man! thanks! and yeah i just now realized more batteries will be a solid investment, im liking this community, very helpful, thanks again!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Half an amp is perfect. Once it's fully charged, remove it from the charger. Use proper battery boxes for storing them when not in a charger or mod. Don't let it go below about 3.3v and don't use a charger that terminates at or above 4.25v. A termination voltage of 4.20 or a hair under is ideal.

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You generally don't have to worry about them getting to low. You will notice a huge difference when the battery gets down around 3.3-3.5v. So it should be obvious when its time for a change.

And as BoomStick said, battery cases are a must especially when you're not at home. The batteries can very easily short and if they are in a purse or your pocket and touch other metals objects such as keys. If you purchase batteries from Illumination Supply, they give you a free case with every two batteries. And last time I ordered the ISPOWER coupon was still valid. I think it was 10-15% off your entire order. http://www.illumn.com/

And you can never have too many batteries, I don't even think that's a thing. :) My wife and I are the only vapers in the house and we have 19 batteries. LOL!

VU Sponsors