Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Augvape Templar RDA Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Augvape Templar RDA, please see the bottom for disclaimers and links

Introduction:
The Templar RDA is the latest RDA from long time vape manufacturer Augvape. It’s a primarily dual coil RDA with a single post deck that reminds me a bit of the dot RDA in a sense. It comes in a cardboard tube and features a 24k gold plated deck, included gold plated squonk pin, and a clear bullet style cap as well. It’s available in 2 colors black and SS.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Aluminum Anodized Black
  • 24 mm Diameter
  • 810 Drip tip
  • 510 Adapter
  • 24K Gold Plated Deck
  • Clamp Snag System
  • Short Ultem Drip Tip And Long Delrin Drip Tip
  • Come With Gold 24k Plated Brass Pin And Gold Plated SS Squonk Pin
  • 2 Post Build Deck
  • Velocity Clamp Snag System
  • Zirconium Insulator and PEEK insulator
  • 4mm Deep E-liquid Well
  • ULTEM Single Coil Chamber Reducer
  • Adjustable Dual Airflow Slots
  • Frosted Top Cap Redirect Flow
  • Rounded Internal Top Cap
  • 304 Stainless Steel Construction
  • 810 Drip Tip Fitment
  • 510 Drip Tip Adapter
  • CNC Machine Engraved
  • Build Friendly
Included in box:
  • 1 x Augvape Templar RDA
  • 1 x Frosted Drip Cap
  • 1 x ULTEM Chamber Reducer
  • 1 x Bottom Feed Pin
  • 1 x 510 Adapter
  • 1 x Spare Parts Pack
Picture Album
https://imgur.com/a/O7nUw4L

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this RDA I was pretty happy with the quality of it. I bring this up due to a conversation i had yesterday that made me realize it seems vapers don’t really appreciate quality anymore. I kind of understand in a market where many people are buying 10 dollar clones, but when it comes to things of similar price why not go with the better quality? I’m not saying people need to spend 100s on an RDA or even 60 bucks, but the templar is in the 20-30 dollar range which is standard for most authentic mass produced RDAs and at that price point, I was really impressed with the quality of it. Sometimes it’s the little things that stand out especially when you review products and use so many similar things side by side. A 24k gold plated deck, nice fitting o-rings so the top cap isn’t too loose or too tight, gold plated 510 pins, zirconium insulator, anodized coloring on the black one, Titanium post screw. Things you don’t normally see on a 30 dollar RDA. I’m not going to call out any company specifically in my review, but i see popular companies produce popular RDAs at the same price with much worse quality and i just can’t on board with that and I wish others would take into account why not go better quality if the price is the same or even just a few dollars more. So yeah i’m pretty impressed with the quality of this. It feels like the quality of a good 60-65 dollar RDA meanwhile i reviewed an RDA earlier this week at the same price point that had the quality of a 10 dollar poor clone.

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s made primarily for dual coils, however you can install a single coil and use the included ultem block to block the other side and use it in single coil mode. The closest comparisons i could make to the deck would be the crius 2 dual coil rta or dot rda. It’s a single post that’s spring loaded so when you unscrew it exposes 4 holes 1 for each lead. The holes are staggered so your top lead can go in the top and bottom lead in the bottom. You do need to install both coils at one time but it’s very easy. The holes hold the coils in place and it only takes 1 screw to tighten down all 4 leads at once. Very easy to build on even for beginners. The screw is an excellent quality titanium screw that you can use a flathead or phillips head on. I wish more RDAs used quality screws like this. Overall a very nicely build deck that is easy to build on.

Wicking is pretty easy as well, just drop it down the sides into the juice well which is nice and deep. It’s an RDA so no tips or tricks needed.

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a Dual coil RDA only as intended. I ran 3 builds in this. The 2 above, and one more simple round wire (22 Gauge 3mm ID 6 wraps). All Builds 3mm-3.5mm ID. There is room to go bigger as well, but I felt 3mm was a nice sweet spot that wasn’t packed too tight. All the 3 builds I vaped with both caps (the regular cap and included frosted bullet cap). The performance with the bullet cap wasn’t very good and i moved the coils around quite a bit from really low to higher up and it just didn’t perform well at all. Plus with the frosted caps on RDAs while they look nice in pictures once you vape on it no so much. Not a fan of that cap. With the regular cap however, the flavor was great. Coil position wasn’t finicky at all the deck lines it up nicely. Anything with the coils lined up where you can see the whole coil to the bottom half of the coil through the air holes worked great. Excellent flavor. It didn’t run hot at all either despite the extra metal on the deck in the middle. Overall very impressed with the performance of this RDA.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
It’s a side airflow RDA with 3 rows of air slots. AFC is really tight to adjust however. If you want to adjust it it’s easier to pop out the cap and reseat it. Lubing it up makes it a little easier but the oring is a little tight there. It’s also 3 staged blocker on the inside so as you rotate to adjust air it cuts off 1 row at a time. Very good idea over just cutting it off starting at the sides. The bullet cap has no adjustable air. It comes with a standard 810 friction fit black delrin tip. They also include a 510 adapter. A resin or ultem tip would have been nice and more fitting in today's market but since it’s standard size you can put whatever one you want on it and some many prefer the plain black one so it’s really preference. The tip fits great and isn’t too loose or too tight. o-ring “TFV8” style tips also work in it perfectly. The regular top cap is a low profile cap making it very short. The included bullet cap is optional and i didn’t care for it personally looks wise and performance wise. They also include an ultem blocker to use single coil mode.

The quality is excellent as i said above in more detail in the intro. It’s a 24mm diameter so should not overhang on any mod really. The juice well is also quite deep so over squonking or over dripping shouldn't be an issue for most. I just dripped down the center of the drip top personally. They include a squonk pin but I didn’t use it as a squonker. There is a ton of spare o-rings, but no spare post screw. Likely never will be needed but still should always include a spare post screw in my opinion. I also experienced no issue with whistling or loud airflow either. It’s a pretty quiet RDA with nice smooth airflow. Branding is simple, there is the templar logo on the side engraved and it looks pretty cool and the word templar on the 810 tip platform where you grab it to adjust the air.

Pros:
  • Excellent Build Quality
  • 810 drip tip and 510 adapter
  • Excellent quality post screw
  • price point (under 30 bucks)
  • large juice well
  • standard 24k gold plated 510 pin and squonk pin included
  • great flavor
  • 24k gold plated deck
  • easy to build on deck
  • high quality zirconium insulator
  • included ultem block for single coil builds
Cons:
  • lack of color options (only black and SS)
  • airflow is hard to adjust
  • included frosted bullet cap is useless
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RDA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, this one i’m going to lean pretty heavy towards the yes. It’s almost a perfect RDA to me, if i was in a beta i would have said remove the bullet cap, add in a spare post screw, and use a slight smaller o-ring on the air flow control. Outside of that though it’s pretty minor stuff. It vapes great and the quality of this RDA is something that could easily sell for double of the asking price. I know I said that a lot, but I feel we lost paying attention to things like that over the years. Quality RDAs used to be praised and costed an arm and a leg and now people settle for “good enough” at this price point though, no reason to settle. One of the best values and best RDAs for 2018 so far. I’ll be adding this to my sheet of recommendations.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Augvape

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. There is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small percent failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I decided to add this disclaimer in as i feel it’s important for people to know their source of the review. I’ve been vaping since late 2011. I’ve vaped all the styles from MTL to RLH to DTL. tanks, RTAs, RDAs, you name it. I do prefer the DTL and RLH style over MTL personally. My main focus from an atomizer is flavor. For mods i’ve used mechs and regulated mods. I’m an avid temp control vaper but enjoy power mode as well and the occasion mech useage for nostalgia. I’ve been doing reviews since late 2016. As of Jan 2018 I’ve done over 100 written reviews and done over 150 video reviews on my channel, Although i’ve taken a break from videos in the past few months to focus on written reviews.

I spend a lot of time helping vapers on forums as well and try to answer all the questions and comments on my reviews. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested. At times if needed i’ll disassemble them as well. Rebuildables get multiple builds in them. Tanks i use all coils until the die or a minimum of 2 weeks if they don’t die sooner. I do this for the community to help people find good products and avoid bad ones. In my opinion a reviewer works for the community and nobody else. It’s our job to inform vapers of issues and not be advertisers as well as provide constructive criticism from a place of knowledge back to companies with these reviews so they can improve and make better products in the future.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2017 list here

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I like the fact they use titanium screws. Too bad for me it’s a dedicated dual coil, I don’t like using the blockers. Thanks for your very through review :)

Will you be doing a review for the Wotofo Recurve? I hope so.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I like the fact they use titanium screws. Too bad for me it’s a dedicated dual coil, I don’t like using the blockers. Thanks for your very through review :)

Will you be doing a review for the Wotofo Recurve? I hope so.
thanks! no plan on the wotofo recurve. I don't think they like me much after i slammed quite a few of their products lol

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I hear people say the air is a lot tighter then they thought. i haven't heard anyone really talk impressed about it either. which is odd for a wotof product because they have a large fan base and most of their stuff gets hyped pretty fast
Thanks for the info, strange indeed, Wotofo products are generally pretty good. I’m still using my Wotofo Serpent 25 Mini rta, most of my older stuff has been retired but the 25 mini I still enjoy. Well I look forward to your review if/when you happen to get one.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I cannot agree that it was intended for only dual coil use, or that the clear cap is useless. It has incredibly smooth airflow and great flavor, with either top cap, and with or without the single coil plug. Dripping is easier with the frosted cap, also, because you can drip down the sides without getting a pool of liquid on top of the T post!

I do agree the plastic cap looks silly, but dang it's enjoyable to use! This RDA has really awesome flavor for side airflow

Dropmyload

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I won a templar and just built my first dual coil setup on it. Nice flavour, but I keep the top airflow row closed. One thing though, I struggled to fit both coils as one leg was constantly loose with one coil. This was the leg that goes in the lower mount. I am using 26 ga ss 361 wire. It wasn’t easy and I’m still not sure its fitting tightly.

I tried it in single coil and it was flavourless. Maybe I need to try again.

VU Sponsors