Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Cthulhu 1928 MTL RDA Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Cthulhu 1928 MTL RDA, please see the bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is not marked as a sample version

Introduction:
The Cthulhu 1928 MTL RDA is the latest RDA from somewhat well known manufacturer Cthulhu Mods. I’ve reviewed quite a few of their products to date and they have been hit and miss for the most part. They’ve made some really good MTL stuff like the hastur RTA, hastur mini RTA, and their DTL azeroth RDA last year i enjoyed, but also had some stinkers like the M RDA and Zathog RDA. The 1928 RDA is a single coil 22mm MTL RDA with an included squonk pin. It’s available in 2 colors, Black, and SS. I see it online only in china around the 20 USD price range so very nice price point as well.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • 1928 MTL RDA is design for true MTL and nic salts vaping.
  • 0.8mm, 1.2mm, 1.6mm, 2.0mm airflow holes for tight/loose MTL vapers.
  • Add dome to the top cap to reduce chamber space and better throat hit.
  • One of the smallest chamber RDA on the market.
  • Squonk Friendly (avoid over squonking design)
  • Raised building deck to make sure no flavor loss.
  • Smooth bottom airflow
  • Two 3.5mm drip tips
  • 24k gold-plating positive pin
  • 7.5mm deep juice well
  • About the name: The short story “The Call of Cthulhu“, published in the American pulp magazine Weird Tales in 1928. 90th Anniversary.
  • WIDTH: 22 mm / 0.86 in
  • HEIGHT: 25.5 mm / 1 in (without drip tip)
  • Net weight: 0.04kg
  • Gross weight: 0.07kg
Included in box:
  • 1 Cthulhu MOD 1928 MTL RDA
  • 1 extra 510 drip tip
  • 1 squonk pin
  • Spare o-rings tools
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions
When I first got this RDA it was pretty impressed by it. I like their simple round tin packaging and the included cloth bad inside but mostly i liked the deep juice well. Lots of RDAs these days don’t really have deep juice wells especially MTL ones since squonking is the new rage. Outside of that though it’s a pretty basic RDA. They included 2 drip tips but I didn’t care for the super tall one but it gave me flashbacks to 2012 when people used really tall tips (anyone remember the omega RDA lol) but yeah overall not really my style but a nice designed RDA

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. This is one thing i’m not majorly impressed with. Not to say it doesn't work as it does work, and is easy to build but it’s a simple parallel screws and your leads just go under the screw heads and get tightened down on the posts. It’s made for MTL so it’s a small deck, not a lot of room but more than enough for a good MTL build. The screws are decent quality phillips screws, would have liked to see better screws here personally and maybe an option for flat head as well. But it works good enough for the purpose. I just felt using screw heads as the connection point is a bit old school and having holes staggered would have been better. Your coil leads do need to be wrapped at opposite ends as the posts are across from each other. Overall it works well and is easy to build but feels a bit outdated to me and the screws could be better.

Wicking on it is quite easy. It’s an RDA so nothing fancy just drop your leads to the bottom. There are cutouts for the wicks that don’t close off the deck completely however.

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a Single Coil RDA only as intended. I ran 4 builds in this a fancy 3mm ID build, and 3 round builds between 2-3mm ID. Really not an RDA made for large builds obviously since it’s MTL. Flavorwise it’s got good flavor for a MTL RDA and worked well with all sizes of builds i put in it. I think most people would prefer the 2 or 2.5mm ID as it gives a little more wiggle room but 3mm worked good as well which is the max you can fit. All depends on which air setting you want to use and how tight of a draw your going to use. Overall a good flavor RDA for MTL vaping.

Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
Let’s talk about the airflow now. It’s a standard side airflow RDA with 4 small holes on one side only. You can only use 1 hole at a time so there are 4 settings in total. The lowest setting is a loose MTL vape while the highest setting is a very restrictive DTL vape. Good range but not for those who want a super tight draw. Adjusting the airflow is easy. You just spin the whole top cap and the o-rings are a nice size to make it easy to do. There is no texture for grip but since it’s the whole top ap it’s very easy to adjust on a mod but can’t be done on off a mod. The top cap does lock into place as well and all the way one side is the smallest air setting and all the way the other side is the largest air setting so very well done there, and it makes it very easy to screw on and off your mod. The top cap o-rings are good and it’s easy to pop off and on after you lube them up. Mine was very tight at the start and hard to get of and my o-rings also shedded quite a bit, this should have been done better. After i cleaned up the shedding and lubed them up though they worked great so maybe just a little too thick at first. I will ding them for that though.

It comes with 1 standard 510 o-ringed fit delrin drip tip and 1 standard 510 o-ringed fit tall metal drip tip. I wasn’t a fan of the tall metal one and it reminded me a bit of the omega RDA back in the days. The Drip tip fits a little too snug as well and is hard to get out and in. The o-rings should have been a little smaller. Other oring 510 tips fit well though that i tried. The quality on the Cthulhu 1928 MTL RDA is overall good. After lubing them up, the o-rings for the top cap onto the base feel right and the top cap is snug but not tight. Very easy to take apart with no issues. The AFC is easy to adjust, the o-rings fit just right and everything is nicely done. The post screws are just ok quality though and 2 spare screws are included (all phillips screws). It comes with a standard 510 pin and a BF 510 pin like most RDAs these days as well.

The juice well on this RDA is massive. Bigger then most 24mm dual coil RDAs i’ve used recently. Plenty of room for extra juice so well done there. The over squonk protection is great but dripping down the drip tip can cause leaks, it’s best to pop off the top cap and fill the juice well instead which may annoy some. Thankfully due to the size though and being MTL you won’t have to refill the well often. I only used it as a dripper as i’m not currently working on a review for any squonk mods but i did put it on a squonk mod just to test it real quick and it worked well.

It’s a 22mm diameter so should not overhang on most mods on the market today. Accessory wise, There is plenty of spare o-rings and 2 spare post screws, 1 allen wrench, 1 extra 510 tip but no cotton or coils. Good amount of accessories overall. The only thing I feel missing would be a coil or 2 and some cotton but not a big deal. Branding is non existent. No visible branding on the outside at all which is nice but it does look a little plain but i’d rather have plain then a crazy giant logo so no complaints there.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Pros:
  • 2 Standard 510 o-ring drip tips (metal and delrin)
  • standard 510 pin and squonk pin included
  • plenty of spare o-rings
  • post screw quality is good enough but not great
  • Good over squonk protection
  • good flavor for MTL
  • Massive sized juice well
  • good build quality
  • good easy to adjust AFC
  • good airflow options
  • nice looks, not overly branded
  • Price point (around 20 USD)
Cons:
  • no cotton or coils included
  • lack of Color Options
  • not good for dripping down the center (should be filled by taking off top cap and filling into the juice well)
  • build deck should be better
  • should have included some non phillips screw options
  • top cap was too tight from the factory and o-rings shedded
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RDA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, but this one leans a little towards the yes. There aren’t a lot of good MTL RDAs on the market really. Mostly just the galaxies and ammit that I’ve come across. I don’t think it’s better overall then the galaxies or ammit but i think all 3 are similar. This has the biggest juice well of the 3 and better over squonk protection than the galaxies, but better flavor then the ammit so i feel it’s a viable choice just like the other 2. I’ll be adding this to my sheet of recs linked down below

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Cthulhu

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors