Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Cthulhu Hastur RTA Review. MTL Vaping at it's best?

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Cthulhu Mods Hastur RTA. Disclaimer: This product was sent to me from Cthulhu Mods for the purpose of this review.

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. I spend more time with products then most reviewers and try to be thorough, do disassemblies to check for design flaws, do accuracy testing, and stress testing, something that is typically done in maintenance industries to try and “force” a failure or diagnose a potential failure point to give me an idea of a devices longevity. With that said, there is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small % failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Introduction:
The Cthulhu Hastur RTA is a new MTL RTA from Cthulhu Mods. In typical fashion the name Hastur is from the Cthulhu Mythos, a character who is known as “The unspeakable one” The RTA itself is designed to be a true MTL RTA which is something that has been in a bit of a shortage lately as the market has shifted more towards DTL vaping. It’s available in 2 colors Black and SS.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • It comes with 5 swappable air flow resisters(1.0mm, 1.6mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, 3.5mm).
  • 4 extra air flow resisters are optional (1.2mm,1.4mm,1mm X 2, 0.8mm X3)
  • Bigger posts to reduce the size of chamber. New and easy refilling system.
  • Two 510 drip tips(airhole dia.: 3.5mm & 2.0mm).
  • Food grade 304 stainless steel.
  • 3.5ml capacity.
  • WIDTH: 24 mm / 0.94 in
  • HEIGHT: 43 mm / 1.69 in (without drip tip)
Included in box:
  • Hastur RTA
  • 1 Replacement Frosted Glass Tube
  • 5 Airflow Resisters
  • 2 510 Drip tips
  • Screwdriver
  • Spare Parts & O-Rings
  • Instructional Manual
Pictures:
Stock Shot:
hmr-9.jpg

Stock Shot Build Deck and restricters:
hmr-3.jpg

Optional restricters (not included)
hmr-10.jpg

Stock Shot chamber:
HASTUR_MTL_01.jpg

Drip Tips and Restricters:
DN9xM64.jpg

Disassembled:
kserLdk.jpg

2.5mm Coil Installed:
xGph9Hx.jpg

3mm coil installed:
MVxBumq.jpg

Wicking Side View:
RAKoJIm.jpg

Hand Check:
f8zvKtv.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this RTA I was really impressed with the packaging they use. It’s their new standard. I remember back when they used to use plastic boxes like with the shuriken RDA. Now it’s like a nice textured outside and lined with a fake velvet. They include 5 airflow restrictors which is a great idea so you really get good control over how tight a draw you get. Also included is 2 510 tips with different sized holes one for a tighter air and one for a looser air. It makes for a pretty impressive 12 combinations from tight MTL to restricted DTL vaping. There is also an addtional set of 4 restricters that can be purchased seperate for like 3.23 here https://www.fasttech.com/products/3...thentic-cthulhu-hastur-mtl-rta-extra-air-flow increasing that number to 20. Overall it really feels designed with the MTL vapor in mind.

Build Deck (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. The use a 2 post style but with 4 holes so you can wrap your coil anyway and not have to worry as it’ll still fit correctly. The posts are big and intended to minimize the chamber to increase the flavor. Less wasted space. For low watt MTL vaping you want as small of a chamber as possible. They use flat head screws which are good and good quality so no complaints there. The coils get installed with 1 lead going to each side. It’s an extremely easy to build on deck much like building on the SMM and easier than the ares. Same concept behind the SMM.

Wicking is also a breeze. It’s a GTA style deck much like the ares and wicks the same way. With 2 large cutouts on each side, plenty of space to install your wicks in them and since it’s GTA style it’s very forgiving as long as you don’t overstuff it it’ll work great. Like all GTA style i found the best way to wick is to have the cotton just touching the bottom of the deck. Overall very easy to build on and wick.

Performance
Performance wise, I used it exclusively as a single coil RTA as it’s intended to be. I used 1 fancy build (pictured above) of 3mm twisted fused clapton SS316 wire, 1 “phil B build” and a couple of contact builds 26 guage 3mmID and 2.5mmID all builds at 7+ wraps. I do find it’s better with a 3mm Build which is about the max you can fit in there. I used all the restrictions included as well as no restrictor in place. With the smaller tip and smallest resticter it’s a very nice and tight draw that should please MTL enthusiast. Much tighter than the ares. Without any resticter and the larger drip tip it’s a nice RLH hit (restrictive lung hit) it works well in the 15-45 watt range. As far as flavor goes, it’s the best MTL device i’ve had flavor wise. I’m no MTL enthusiast myself but i’ve used about a dozen MTL devices this year if not more and this was the best one flavorwise to me.

Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
It’s a bottom airflow RTA and the AFC is smooth and on a stopper. There is no knurling on the AFC though so it can be a little hard to adjust while on a mod. Off a mod it’s very easy. It has a cool top fill feature. It’s threadless and you push it on and then turn it a little to lock it in place. The top cap by the tip has a square shape to give you grip to make it easy to do this. Locking it in does require a little bit of force. Removing it is easy. Overall it works really well. It’s really nice quality and easy to take apart with minimal parts to it. All the threading is nice and smooth. It comes with 2 glass tanks a clear one and a frosted one that looks really nice.

Pros:
  • Build Quality
  • looks good
  • Price Point (under 30 bucks)
  • two 510 tips included
  • build deck and good quality post screws
  • Included Tools and frosted tank
  • top fill design is great
  • 3.5ml capacity is good for a MTL RTA
  • true MTL with good flavor for MTL
  • Included 5 air restrictors
Cons:
  • AFC can be hard to adjust while it’s on a mod
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RTA? I don’t like to do hard yes or no, but this will lean heavily towards the yes. If your a MTL vapor looking for a good RTA I don’t think you’ll find one better than the hastur currently. Even for low watt vapers as a RLH RTA it’s excels. I found it to be one of the best atomizers for low watt vaping and at a price of under 30 bucks it’s practically a no brainer. I’ll be adding this to my spreadsheet.

The cheapest I found it in stock is here https://www.efun.top/cthulhu-hastur-mtl-rta-rebuildable-tank-atomizer.html) for 20.99 (must be logged in to see that price for 20.99 (must be logged in to see that price)

Feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c4MZ2xYBE-1-0A6rLYY46OHtzHCM-roJINpxghmhzXM/edit?usp=sharing this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it.

I want to thank you guys for reading. This is Anthony Vapes, just keeping it honest as always, hopefully you all can say you’re doing the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Big thanks again to Cthulhu for sending me this for the purpose of this review

VU Sponsors