Become a Patron!

Anyone build model cars?

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow! And that's all I have to say about that. Where do you even get the stuff to do that kinda details?

War, War Never Changes.........Only The Means Of Destruction
You make it....
detail master is great and all but PE parts will only get you so far.
A few pieces of styrene and some clever paint and you get a windshield washer fluid resivior.

a few of those small builds will get you a fully detailed under bonnet...

As much as i love the minis,this is muh baby!

HPI Savage 5.9
This is by far the hardest paint job I've done. It seems easy until you realize that all of that was layered in reverse...

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sweet paint job I have to save up for the little kits I get I can't imagine what that cost.not mention I'm screwed if I run out of a paint or something

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I hate painting lexan. Damn backwards ass inside out bull......

That's sweet. I've never really thought of a 'Cuda as a monster truck before, but you pulled it of. Awesome paint.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is it kinda like painting a pearlesent paint job?

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is it kinda like painting a pearlesent paint job?

Nothing of the sort....
I also paint 1/1 and I'd rather paint a full on airbrushed 1/1 over doing that reversed crap.
with lexan shells you paint the INSIDE of the shell wich means that you have to reverse your layout.
With 1/1 you have a chance to fix any mistakes with more paint.
you don't have that option with lexan lids.
If you fuck it up,you're stuck with it unless you know what paint to use and how to efficiently strip it without clouding the lexan.
if not,that fuck up just cost you about $30.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nothing of the sort....
I also paint 1/1 and I'd rather paint a full on airbrushed 1/1 over doing that reversed crap.
with lexan shells you paint the INSIDE of the shell wich means that you have to reverse your layout.
With 1/1 you have a chance to fix any mistakes with more paint.
you don't have that option with lexan lids.
If you fuck it up,you're stuck with it unless you know what paint to use and how to efficiently strip it without clouding the lexan.
if not,that fuck up just cost you about $30.
OK I'm lost...............th I s is complely new to me

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OK I'm lost...............th I s is complely new to me

Never mind I see what's going on it's voodoo magic yea magic........ jk it's painted on the inside of the body not on the outside

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Omg!
Wizard RC runs one in his quad scale grave digger.
I've been watching that build for what seems like an eternity.
I've seen a few if his video's. That is a neat truck. Freaking huge. There is a guy on scalerc4x4 that has built his own 1/5 scale engine, and is building a 1/5 scale model of his ss Chevelle to put it in. He is on the modelenginemachinist forums too. A 1/4 scale ground up build is on my bucket list, but it will be a while...

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm far from that level but fwiw,I do have a 1/28 scale replica of my x5.;)

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's driving me nuts that I haven't gotten my shop built and my stuff set up, but now I may be moving again. They are about to start building a 5000acre amusement park within a couple miles of my place. I ain't dealing with that, so deeper into the sticks I go...

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're preaching to the choir.
I'm in a gated hood complete with a HOA and right next to a greenway/rail trail....
I'd give anything to be out in the boons.
it's nothing but butt soup in a bowl of yoga pants running past my house all day every day but I'd gladly give it up for a couple acres of private land.
these pussy hipsters get PISSED!!! when I pop a few slugs in the sky..
Seriously, they had a whole meeting over me...

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You're preaching to the choir.
I'm in a gated hood complete with a HOA and right next to a greenway/rail trail....
I'd give anything to be out in the boons.
it's nothing but butt soup in a bowl of yoga pants running past my house all day every day but I'd gladly give it up for a couple acres of private land.
these pussy hipsters get PISSED!!! when I pop a few slugs in the sky..
Seriously, they had a whole meeting over me...
Lmao, I rabbit and dove hunt in my back pasture now, don't think that will fly in a couple years... Oh well, the city has been moving in with the new toll road and all. Time to look for somewhere I can't get phone signal. Maybe that will keep the city away.

Out here it's country girls riding horses around. Sometime in bikini's. Next place I go will take a telescope to see the road though.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, that's the last shot from my bottle of Glenrothers, guess that means it's beadtime. Night all.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Heres 2 i raced i local events when i lived in Bama.The buggy is a one of a kind build...You can see the build on the buggy at OFNA.com called "UltraCapable" on the forums there....My handle on there was Thunderbolt at the time...Its a low dollar RTR ofna no one would even consider racing in a serious manner, but i did...Still have this today and wouldnt sell it for anything.

The other model is an extremely hopped up Associated GT2 and raced to a divisional championship win and many local racing event wins...Another one i plan to take to the grave with me.

Neither have been ran for at least 5yrs or so...both need pistons and sleeves..I do all my own engine mods and tuning as well.
20150224_004337.jpg 20150224_004408.jpg 20150224_004328.jpg 20150224_004353.jpg 0

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
2c71a53cab5e606adf1c3d79a5b1f3d8.jpg
the new project....... well actually old just now getting around to building it.the pieces have been separated and stored in 6 different boxes and have been moved from 5 different houses (we bounce around a lot) it is missing all the clear parts and I can find only 3 wheels..... I think I'll be doing fine if it looks right when I'm done

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I do RC. An addict for sure! I quit doing static models in 1983 when I got my first hobby grade RC, a Tamiya Grasshopper. These days rock crawling and trail rigs are my thing.

These are all current, though not as shiny as in these photos anymore:

And the one I wish I never sold... :/

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Where do I begin to start building one like the yellow jeep.it will definitely be a piece at a time.have very little funds so I'll have to save for each part.....now where do I begin

"War,war never changes"

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Where do I begin to start building one like the yellow jeep.it will definitely be a piece at a time.have very little funds so I'll have to save for each part.....now where do I begin

"War,war never changes"
The yellow jeep is a plastic hard body with full interior. It comes body only and they are available at https://www.boomracingrc.com/index....oadCategoryProductList&product_cat=body shell

Mine sits on a J2 Skeleton chassis: http://gcmracing.ca/viewcategory.php?groupid=49

I won't get into the rest of the stuff, my axle housings alone are $300 without the guts that go in them. An axial scx10 dingo would be a good platform to start with.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The yellow jeep is a plastic hard body with full interior. It comes body only and they are available at https://www.boomracingrc.com/index....oadCategoryProductList&product_cat=body shell

Mine sits on a J2 Skeleton chassis: http://gcmracing.ca/viewcategory.php?groupid=49

I won't get into the rest of the stuff, my axle housings alone are $300 without the guts that go in them. An axial scx10 dingo would be a good platform to start with.
... $300 that's a months rent!!!....oh well gotta get there first.but thanks I'll do some searching around now I know where to start.

"War,war never changes"

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Buy a body and scratch build the chassis. Find a decent donor truck used, the Axial scx10, or an old Tamiya bruiser or high-lift. Check out scale4x4rc.org, some people have built some really cool stuff out of some cheap Chinese rc stuff. Redcat racing is one that comes to mind. There are lots of options if you are willing to make your own stuff.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Buy a body and scratch build the chassis. Find a decent donor truck used, the Axial scx10, or an old Tamiya bruiser or high-lift. Check out scale4x4rc.org, some people have built some really cool stuff out of some cheap Chinese rc stuff. Redcat racing is one that comes to mind. There are lots of options if you are willing to make your own stuff.
Yeap making my own is how its going to go.I'm wanting to scratch build the chassis.

"War,war never changes"

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
... $300 that's a months rent!!!....oh well gotta get there first.but thanks I'll do some searching around now I know where to start.

"War,war never changes"

Then you don't even want to know what I have into this one...
IMG_5009.jpg

This is my 2.2 Pro class comp rig. It weighs 3.25 lbs ready to run, with the battery. And has more money invested into the area's you can't see (axle internals and very specialized motors) than the complete cost of the yellow jeep. It has had an axle housing upgrade since this photo too, and looks more like this these days

null_zpsec0d89a3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
emoji33.png
$300 that's a months rent!!!....oh well gotta get there first.but thanks I'll do some searching around now I know where to start.

"War,war never changes"

Scale RC can be expensive but for the most part they're on par with cost vs. Scale.
a 1:1 crawl rig can cost upwards of 10k.
a 1:10 crawler can cost upwards of 1k.
My first crawl rig was a 1:24 losi micro and even at that scale I was able to dump over $500 in it by the time I was done with it but that's only because I'm a bit OCD with my R/C's.

If you're looking g for a cheap-ish entry level rig to wet your whistle,start small and trade your way up into larger scales if you enjoy it.
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0236BD
one good thing about micro scale is that you can buy a part at a time and not break the bank on a set of springs or locked diff.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Scale RC can be expensive but for the most part they're on par with cost vs. Scale.
a 1:1 crawl rig can cost upwards of 10k.
a 1:10 crawler can cost upwards of 1k.
My first crawl rig was a 1:24 losi micro and even at that scale I was able to dump over $500 in it by the time I was done with it but that's only because I'm a bit OCD with my R/C's.

If you're looking g for a cheap-ish entry level rig to wet your whistle,start small and trade your way up into larger scales if you enjoy it.
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0236BD
one good thing about micro scale is that you can buy a part at a time and not break the bank on a set of springs or locked diff.
I didn't know they made them in that small of a scale.......google here I come.thanks for the info

"War,war never changes"

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With electronics and upgrade parts, my TF2 has well over a grand in it. Of course I could have gone cheaper, but I've always been the "do it right=do it once" kind of guy.

Rod, you can even build the body yourself. Styrene and glue. And a whole lot of sanding...

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
With electronics and upgrade parts, my TF2 has well over a grand in it. Of course I could have gone cheaper, but I've always been the "do it right=do it once" kind of guy.

Rod, you can even build the body yourself. Styrene and glue. And a whole lot of sanding...
That brings up a touchy subject to me right now......story-i went looking for styrene yesterday...spent hours looking around town for some.....I have now found out I can not find any anywhere in any fashion, that is below $20 a sheet. Either out of stock,didn't know what I was talking about (had pics and reference notes to show) or was not even close to styrene.

"War,war never changes"

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is this all hand made or is it bought?

"War,war never changes"
A mixture of both. The chassis is my design, I drew it up on graph paper and hand cut about 10 prototypes from delrin until I got what I wanted. Then I had a buddy of mine convert the final graph paper drawing into a 3d model. Paid another friend of mine who specializes in carbon fiber to program his cnc mill for my 3d drawing and cut my chassis from 1/16" carbon fiber.

The axle tubes and gear boxes are from DLUX in Utah, the same guy that cut my chassis for me. The gears inside the axles are prototypes cut from 300m chromoloy. Machined very thin with all material from non structural areas removed. The volt and minute markings on the bags have to do with electro-plating while we were testing them.

The rear axle shafts are 8mm 7075 aluminum rod, machined by DLUX. The front axle shafts are hybrids that I made. I used Berg Super 300 CVD shafts from SDS Customs, then took the stubs from an rc4wd bully and drilled them out to fit the S300 shafts. My axles are "berg based" but I have adapted heavily worked over bully knuckles to them.

The motors are Confluxes from Team Brood Racing.

I made the knuckle weights to fit the bully knuckles:

And my electronics are 2 brxl mini esc's de-cased and de-heatsinked, a Castle BEC, and a futaba reciever, all sandwiched together.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A mixture of both. The chassis is my design, I drew it up on graph paper and hand cut about 10 prototypes from delrin until I got what I wanted. Then I had a buddy of mine convert the final graph paper drawing into a 3d model. Paid another friend of mine who specializes in carbon fiber to program his cnc mill for my 3d drawing and cut my chassis from 1/16" carbon fiber.

The axle tubes and gear boxes are from DLUX in Utah, the same guy that cut my chassis for me. The gears inside the axles are prototypes cut from 300m chromoloy. Machined very thin with all material from non structural areas removed. The volt and minute markings on the bags have to do with electro-plating while we were testing them.

The rear axle shafts are 8mm 7075 aluminum rod, machined by DLUX. The front axle shafts are hybrids that I made. I used Berg Super 300 CVD shafts from SDS Customs, then took the stubs from an rc4wd bully and drilled them out to fit the S300 shafts. My axles are "berg based" but I have adapted heavily worked over bully knuckles to them.

The motors are Confluxes from Team Brood Racing.

I made the knuckle weights to fit the bully knuckles:

And my electronics are 2 brxl mini esc's de-cased and de-heatsinked, a Castle BEC, and a futaba reciever, all sandwiched together.
So literally you never said "that's enough" or "" na I dont need that process" I bow to your devotion lol

"War,war never changes"

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
a 1:10 comp crawler can cost upwards of 3k.

Fixed it! lol

A 1:8 Super Class comp crawler can cost upwards of 5k...

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That brings up a touchy subject to me right now......story-i went looking for styrene yesterday...spent hours looking around town for some.....I have now found out I can not find any anywhere in any fashion, that is below $20 a sheet. Either out of stock,didn't know what I was talking about (had pics and reference notes to show) or was not even close to styrene.

"War,war never changes"
Just like everything, look online. I can't find anywhere local that has it either.

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So literally you never said "that's enough" or "" na I dont need that process" I bow to your devotion lol

"War,war never changes"

I compete nationally, and usually at the world championship each year. We have to push limits to stay competitive.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I compete nationally, and usually at the world championship each year. We have to push limits to stay competitive.
Oh ok I see its not just hobby or a "hey check this shit out" type of thing....you have reputation and other people riding on it

"War,war never changes"

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just like everything, look online. I can't find anywhere local that has it either.
Of all places the people at hobby lobby didn't even know what I was talking about.acted like I just asked for platoniem or something from space

"War,war never changes"

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh ok I see its not just hobby or a "hey check this shit out" type of thing....you have reputation and other people riding on it

"War,war never changes"
Yep, mine and of my sponsors that hook me up with cool products I could not otherwise afford on my salary, so I can stay at the top of my game.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yep, mine and of my sponsors that hook me up with cool products I could not otherwise afford on my salary, so I can stay at the top of my game.
How did you hook in to getting sponsors?

"War,war never changes"

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Amen broski.
there's no point in scale R/C halfassery..;)

I didn't know they made them in that small of a scale.......google here I come.thanks for the info

"War,war never changes"

No problem man,I'll do you a solid and warn you though,you'll never get your total investment back with scale RC.
infact,90% of the time the resale value drops by half as soon as you open the box or walk out of the LHS.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Of all places the people at hobby lobby didn't even know what I was talking about.acted like I just asked for platoniem or something from space

"War,war never changes"
How many of their employees have any idea about 90% of what they sell? People that know their stuff won't work for minimum wage. The people that will work for minimum wage don't care at all. It is sickening.

I get job offers every time I walk into Autozone, Napa, or machine shops, but they won't pay for my experience. I charge $150/hr for my expertise, why in the hell would I work for $8? Every time I walk in I hear a sob story about how crap employees are ruining them. They are all to stupid to see that you get what you pay for. Heck, as an obsolete/antique diesel tech, it takes $25k and all expenses paid to get me to come take a look. More for me to fix anything...

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Amen broski.
there's no point in scale R/C halfassery..;)

No problem man,I'll do you a solid and warn you though,you'll never get your total investment back with scale RC.
infact,90% of the time the resale value drops by half as soon as you open the box or walk out of the LHS.
Well I guess its good that I'm build one for me.we don't have TV or internet at the house.....hell the only reason I have a phone is because my work requires it(I'm an armed security guard) so I have tons of free time.so I fill it with things enjoyable. Like building models,lots of prepping, and making odds and end stuff

"War,war never changes"

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How did you hook in to getting sponsors?

"War,war never changes"
I have been doing RC since 1983. Once competitive rock crawling became a thing I got involved in the online community. I began travelling to large national level events, placed well, volunteered to help at the events, and started networking. I photo document every build and make detailed build threads in the crawler community, showing not only my successes, but failures along the way. After a while of doing this the offers began rolling in when company owners realized I would be a good representative for their companies.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fixed it! lol

A 1:8 Super Class comp crawler can cost upwards of 5k...
For sure.
an RC addiction can literally eat up every dime you have to throw at it.
it doesn't matter if it's crawling,racing,boating or flying. There are always improvements to be made and they all cost.
I'm well over 1k invested in my savage and all I do with it is beat the shit out of it until I'm out of fuel or something breaks that I can't field rep.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
How many of their employees have any idea about 90% of what they sell? People that know their stuff won't work for minimum wage. The people that will work for minimum wage don't care at all. It is sickening.

I get job offers every time I walk into Autozone, Napa, or machine shops, but they won't pay for my experience. I charge $150/hr for my expertise, why in the hell would I work for $8? Every time I walk in I hear a sob story about how crap employees are ruining them. They are all to stupid to see that you get what you pay for. Heck, as an obsolete/antique diesel tech, it takes $25k and all expenses paid to get me to come take a look. More for me to fix anything...
Definitely know the feeling well. Went to college for autotech and paint and body repair for three years,come back home and end up restoring cars with no computers in an old worn out garage with a guy that tought me more about cars then I could ever learn from some school,and doing it for little to no pay because I enjoy and love the hell out of it.yes my friend I definitely understand the concept and it is sad.

"War,war never changes"

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For sure.
an RC addiction can literally eat up every dime you have to throw at it.
it doesn't matter if it's crawling,racing,boating or flying. There are always improvements to be made and they all cost.
I'm well over 1k invested in my savage and all I do with it is beat the shit out of it until I'm out of fuel or something breaks that I can't field rep.
The key part of that is you enjoy it and you can't put a price on enjoyment

"War,war never changes"

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Finally found a good pic of my Super Class rig! This is with my 2.2 Pro. to give you perspective, the small one is 12.5" wheelbase, the big one is 18" wb with 8" tall tires.

crawler1.jpg

VU Sponsors