Become a Patron!

Anyone notice the new Kanger OCC coil design?

smoothdraw

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
New OCC coils are now conical vortex designs, with the wick surrounding the outside- replacing the old coil/inner wick. MUCH better efficiency and taste than the old design. Well worth checking out.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Got a link or pics??

mrmoodz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the new coils. I picked up some old ones as well just to compare. Going to poke the cotton in the old ones to avoid the dreaded dry hits.

The v2 RBA section is fantastic through and through.

smoothdraw

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll have to say that the new OCCs are measureably better in taste. I couldn't really give a floating fart on "cloud production", but it seems that it also has improved in that department too. I find however, that better taste comes with increased juice consumption too...about twice as much as before- the cost of those primo ejuices are about to bite a little more in your pockets.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This new rda has actually been out for a couple months or longer now...they come in the newer subtank mini plus versions.

The older versions used a juice channel that from my understanding was not very good at all..So now you get the wicking style of the occ coil on the new rba head...best of both worlds.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll have to say that the new OCCs are measureably better in taste. I couldn't really give a floating fart on "cloud production", but it seems that it also has improved in that department too. I find however, that better taste comes with increased juice consumption too...about twice as much as before- the cost of those primo ejuices are about to bite a little more in your pockets.
You know what that means. Means you gotta start mixing your own. Pennies on the dollar, friend, pennies on the dollar.

mrmoodz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The v2 rba has 4 holes on the bottom. More airflow but restrictive compared to the Herakles and Starre.

thunderdan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The v2 rba has 4 holes on the bottom. More airflow but restrictive compared to the Herakles and Starre.
Yeah, I'm not going to bother, thanks.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just picked up the v2 from a local brick and morter and I like it a lot. The rba is very easy to build on and I'm glad to get back to a single coil. Air flow is good and no dry hits although it took me a couple re-wicks to get it right. A lot better than the orchid I just retired.

smoothdraw

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One other thing I've noticed- the new OCCs don't have the removeable top as they once had- it's a one piece unit (not counting the connector pin and insulator at the bottom, of course). I suppose you can rebuild them, but it's gotten a bit tougher.

richardrpsgt

Member For 4 Years
Those new OCCs came with my black V2 mini in the mail this morning. I immediately took it out an put in my V1 mini that's on my iStick. Very noticeable improvement in airflow and the flavor is right there as well.
I built ni200 on the RBA head and put it on my evic VT. I'm pretty sure I over stuffed it because I got clouds but not much flavor and and airflow is tighter than the OCC, which is on the V1. Regardless, something new to play with and figure out!

omnipotentduo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So i just got a new subtank and i've noticed the white banded coils have been an issue for me, 2 of them were open, and the other 3 are reading 1.2 ohms if i mess with it a bit i can get it down to about .7 anyone know about these issues?

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe ive just been using the RBA so much for the past month or two in my subtanks but the new OCC wasnt that much better (than RBA; old or new). From what I recall it didn't seem a stellar improvement over the old ones...but hey, its been a while since ive used factory OCC in subtanks (thankfully). I actually could not get high-VG juices to wick well in the old design, so I drilled holes into the sides of my old RBAs, and they are much like the new design. Love the new version though, that screw to hold the chimney on is very good!

omnipotentduo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm still figuring out getting good wicking going in my RBA, my hits are drying out about half way through the draw and it take a bit for it to recover for me to get another draw.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Looking good i drilled 2mm holes in my rba anyway very quick to wick no farting around with it, would like to try that new rba though as someone else above said with the screw to hold it down is good! As the old rba is a pain to get off sometimes! I just keep dropping it and that loosing it up for me to unscrew lol

happy vaping

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looking good i drilled 2mm holes in my rba anyway very quick to wick no farting around with it, would like to try that new rba though as someone else above said with the screw to hold it down is good! As the old rba is a pain to get off sometimes! I just keep dropping it and that loosing it up for me to unscrew lol

happy vaping
I know that feweling very much. I recently got needle nose pliers for building boils and such, and that has made unscrewing those older RBAs much easier. After I drilled the holes just like you, they started getting stuck and it would take sometimes 5 mins or more just to unscrew. Now its a cinch.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Notice any difference in flavour with it?

happy vaping
I have not, personally noticed any flavor difference. But then again i drilled holes and they fuynction much like the new ones anyway with the same holes from the factory. But I enjoy the neatness of the factory holes obviously and the set screw.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have not, personally noticed any flavor difference. But then again i drilled holes and they fuynction much like the new ones anyway with the same holes from the factory. But I enjoy the neatness of the factory holes obviously and the set screw.
Seems like alot of people are drilling them, also dropping it a few times on a hard surface also works

happy vaping

omnipotentduo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Notice any difference in flavour with it?
I wish I could give a good answer here, this is my first non e-go tank.
I have two and I'd like to get a couple more just so I can play with the size of the holes. I did rebuild one of the prebuilt coils (easier to wick IMO) and got much better flavor out of it.

omnipotentduo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So, a bit of an update, the newer OCC has larger air holes, also the juice port seems to be different. I've only noticed this on the .5 ohm coils, I haven't looked at the 1.2 ohm coils up close.

Personally i think the flavor of the new coils is much better than the older design.
Pics of both coils here, the one with the red insulator (o-ring) is the newer coil. IMG_20150724_032121761[1].jpg IMG_20150724_032209798[1].jpg

VU Sponsors