Become a Patron!

Anyone still using mechs?

XVapeX

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just curious, with all the new VV/VW/TC mods released if anyone is still a purists and vapes exclusively on mechs??? If so post your collection I love to see them =)

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I do, and plan on only doing so for a few years more at least. I only have one box though, and its a ironwood classique

Wolfstone5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I still use them from time to time, especially to set up coils on an RDA. Even though they may seem outdated, I love my old tube mods from back in the day. It's a constant reminder of how good we have now!

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love my mechs. I have 7 smpl's with one more on the way, a AV Manhattan, a 26650 Vapewell, In,ax nano, Kato, a Paragon, a junk Nemesis, a Steel punk Slug, and 3 parallel box mods I built. Maybe this Sunday, I will get word that I own a MCV Raptor. I know a guy heading to the Manila Vape expo in the Philippines. Right Nicky? lol

Have a Sigelei 100 I don't use, and just bought an Innokin Disrupter for driving.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Cant leave the Mech behind, its been here for a long time and its a trusted device. The new devices seem to not hold up as well and most arent as sexy ;)

Attachments

• 0805151610c.jpg
    0805151610c.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 62

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
11696351_10203301871508149_3926989921126906209_o.jpg

This is my Mech Mod collection. Lately I have been using mechs more and more as I am sick and tired of my regulated mods having issues from falty ohm readers to sticky firing switches, to just dying all together. Mechs are rock solid performers if you know how to use them.

Happy Vaping!!
CV

Of course :) I love my nemesis with my nimbus rda (4 wrap 26gauge @.15ohms) i like to cloud chase so the mechanical mod on a full charged battery works Great for me ^_^
fabc81d9d7e11e0bee7c186e4366abe8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boogie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
While I appreciate the ability to have both consistent and high power performance at the same time, I still cant deny the brutal simplicity of a mech.

While mine are mostly just the 2nd string now, they are not going anywhere.

TDC123

Member For 4 Years
Daily and exclusively for over a year. Got another brass Nemesis clone in today. The OCD kicked in I guess. I had two coppers, two stainless and only one brass. The single black aluminum one is looking lonely now though...

Handi75

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I JUST Bought a Cherry Bomber Mech MOD. And I'm wondering if I should've ever done so. It's a Clone. I've been having some Issues with it.

I have a Constant electrical taste like a live wire charge on my tounge as soon as I put the mouth piece in my mouth. I don't know if this is common.

I had to tighten Contacts up after I had an issue with the 510 connector move when putting the tank on and completed the circuit, only to find out I had to Pull the Batteries out FAST because they were over heating enough that it headed the plastic on the battery cover that it split so I had to add a piece of electrical tape so I wouldn't have a Grounding issue..

I've always used a VV Device such as the Vision and Vision Spinner II and the iTaste MVP 2.0 until my eGo Threads Stripped out cause I didn't have my Beauty ring on at the time I droped it accidently so my tank will no longer stay on.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just curious, with all the new VV/VW/TC mods released if anyone is still a purists and vapes exclusively on mechs??? If so post your collection I love to see them =)
04484b1bcfb2596221661609eaaf4890.jpg

Yeah, I still vape my mechs. Copper XXIX 18650 and Stainless 26650 BFM are still part of my daily vape..26650 batt last all day on a single charge vaping RDA's with a .2 ohm build..yep, still like my mechs..

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

XVapeX

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
11696351_10203301871508149_3926989921126906209_o.jpg

This is my Mech Mod collection. Lately I have been using mechs more and more as I am sick and tired of my regulated mods having issues from falty ohm readers to sticky firing switches, to just dying all together. Mechs are rock solid performers if you know how to use them.

Happy Vaping!!
CV
Very nice collection there!

XVapeX

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
While I appreciate the ability to have both consistent and high power performance at the same time, I still cant deny the brutal simplicity of a mech.

While mine are mostly just the 2nd string now, they are not going anywhere.
A very good point!

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I love my mechs. I have 7 smpl's with one more on the way, a AV Manhattan, a 26650 Vapewell, In,ax nano, Kato, a Paragon, a junk Nemesis, a Steel punk Slug, and 3 parallel box mods I built. Maybe this Sunday, I will get word that I own a MCV Raptor. I know a guy heading to the Manila Vape expo in the Philippines. Right Nicky? lol

Have a Sigelei 100 I don't use, and just bought an Innokin Disrupter for driving.
Hopefully we both will and also some nice new attys. Why don't you use the Sigelei. If you ever feel generous I can take that off your hands lol

XVapeX

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I must say I am a sucker for copper and newer mods havnt shaken that a bit and I don't have to worry about them so much. I do hope that there is a new wave of innovation that hits the mech world.

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Man the future looks good for vaping. Just wait until some of the major electronics companies jump on this, but from a power stand point, aren't we basically already to the point where people can get hurt with the builds, and stuff. I mean you only need so much power to blow some vapor

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am already seeing the dna 200 has everything you can imagine in it. So I guess i see the future as people building better batteries, and cooler looking mods.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Mech mods are great! I generally prefer a regulated mod for all day because of the more consistent performance and the battery lasts much longer. But sometimes only a mechmod will do.
5fade8877ad42b035538d115e1c8cc79.jpg

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mech mods are great! I he ge erally prefer a regulated mod for all day because of the more consistent performance and the battery lasts much longer. But sometimes only a mechmod will do.
Agreed..I have 5 high powered box mods I vape in rotation but sometimes I like to vape my mechs too.. Something about getting that right build hitting good keeps my building skills in check..
Box mods will vape just about any build I throw at them but not with my mechs..
Getting that awesome build within batt safety limits is still a rewarding challenge..

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Agreed..I have 5 high powered box mods I vape in rotation but sometimes I like to vape my mechs too.. Something about getting that right build hitting good keeps my building skills in check..
Box mods will vape just about any build I throw at them but not with my mechs..
Getting that awesome build within batt safety limits is still a rewarding challenge..

Right!? Kids today don't know how good they have it....lmao
Had to add this video. It reminds me of when I first learned to build for some reason

Last edited:

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I JUST Bought a Cherry Bomber Mech MOD. And I'm wondering if I should've ever done so. It's a Clone. I've been having some Issues with it.

I have a Constant electrical taste like a live wire charge on my tounge as soon as I put the mouth piece in my mouth. I don't know if this is common.

I had to tighten Contacts up after I had an issue with the 510 connector move when putting the tank on and completed the circuit, only to find out I had to Pull the Batteries out FAST because they were over heating enough that it headed the plastic on the battery cover that it split so I had to add a piece of electrical tape so I wouldn't have a Grounding issue..

I've always used a VV Device such as the Vision and Vision Spinner II and the iTaste MVP 2.0 until my eGo Threads Stripped out cause I didn't have my Beauty ring on at the time I droped it accidently so my tank will no longer stay on.
I hope you're not saying here that you got a battery dangerously hot, severely damaging the cell in the procrss, and threw some tape over the wrapper and kept using it...

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mech mods are great! I generally prefer a regulated mod for all day because of the more consistent performance and the battery lasts much longer. But sometimes only a mechmod will do.
holy hell. I got this one wooden mod and feel all good about it, and you got those lol

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
that mod had an issue ,if the atty was to big it would complete the circuit and stay firing
try touching your key to the top part of it even with an atty that does fit and it will auto fire even if locked. You put that in your pocket with keys and you are likely gonna blow your balls off

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I really wanted the legit cherry bomber,but just couldn't justify the 200 bucks for it ,turns out to be a good decision
for me i wouldn't put a mod that size in my pocket
I am thinking about getting the new osmium slim and the omni v2 rda gonna be a sexy pair

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well,,,,,,,,,, the local B&M is full youngins that are into who can make the biggest clouds
ever hear of the AREs mod ?? 300watt lipo mod with a 32mm Buddha makes for huge clouds and that is what most are using
that same shop has a 600 Watt mod for sale too

SMDH
Nothing will wick that fast for 300w..
600w is a joke and could be very dangerous in the hands of a newbie....besides these mods are BIG!
Totally useless trying to carry one in a pocket out and about... Hell I find the 200w snow wolf to be overpowered...
I don't even need the 150w in my IPV3..
Vaping above 100w just does not produce the clouds I get at 80w.. these 300w+ mods are a sales gimmick for newbie wannabe young kids who think is cool to vape at 300w+...LOL..

Handi75

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I hope you're not saying here that you got a battery dangerously hot, severely damaging the cell in the procrss, and threw some tape over the wrapper and kept using it...

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone
When I Put the Batteries in. Apparently the 510 was Loose, or loose enough, that when I tightened the Tank up (Kangertech Mini Sub-Ohm Tank), it must have Twisted the Copper Firing Nut, Which completed the Circuit.

When I noticed the Addy was Firing, I took the Cover off, Loosened the Copper Screw contacts and Yanked the Batteries quickly.

1 was warm enough that the Plastic Insulator on the bottom Negative size split some. So in order to have problems with it, I just added a Piece of Electrical Tape so the bare metal wouldn't be touching the Case incause it caused trouble.

It wasn't Flaming hot or burning to the touch or anything so I figured it would be ok.

If this can cause a Serious issue then I'll remove it, The mod works as a Single or Duel 18650, I'll just use 1 Battery. I didn't think it would be a big problem.

Handi75

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
that mod had an issue ,if the atty was to big it would complete the circuit and stay firing
I know that. I done some Research on it before I bought it. I figured if that was the Only Minimal problem it had was Auto Fire then I can work with that by adding some kind of insulator on the top like Glossy Fingernail Polish or something or even epoxy to Solve that issue.

But what my Issue is right now, is the fact that I have what feels like a small Current active, when I Pick it up touch it to my Lips and tongue, I can feel a small Charge. Not a Shocking Charge or anything like that. It feels almost like a VERY Weak 9v battery touched to your tongue.

Just a slight tingling kinda, maybe not even that.

I went from vv/vw to mech exclusively. As much as I'm outside and moving around, I need the reliability. Even the crappiest designs can be easily fixed or rigged to work in a worst case scenario. I can drop them, get them wet, roll them in sand and not worry like I had to with a VV/VW. I just think there are more vv/vw around as new guys are switched on to them at their local shops. If you do anything besides vape at a computer all day it becomes apparent quickly that they're preferable. You also never have to worry about being stuck with an otherwise functional mod if it weren't for the microchip failing for no apparent or fixable reason. The newer designs are more compact lately too, with the abaddon, quad, castigador, dos equis, incubus, etc. dual 18650's.

Handi75

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I went from vv/vw to mech exclusively. As much as I'm outside and moving around, I need the reliability. Even the crappiest designs can be easily fixed or rigged to work in a worst case scenario. I can drop them, get them wet, roll them in sand and not worry like I had to with a VV/VW. I just think there are more vv/vw around as new guys are switched on to them at their local shops. If you do anything besides vape at a computer all day it becomes apparent quickly that they're preferable. You also never have to worry about being stuck with an otherwise functional mod if it weren't for the microchip failing for no apparent or fixable reason. The newer designs are more compact lately too, with the abaddon, quad, castigador, dos equis, incubus, etc. dual 18650's.

Well I'm in a wheelchair so about 1/2 the time Im at the PC and the other I'm outside Dillying around in my Woodshop and stuff, or sitting on my Porch. My VV Vision Spinners was Ok, but problem with Buttons and things like that, Positive wires and Negative wires coming loose and all that Jazz. Then I got the iTaste MVP. Which was a good Mod. But the Inner eGo Threads Screwed up on it so my Tank wouldn't fit anymore, it kept falling off and wouldn't stay Screwed in. So I wanted to Just jump into the Mech Mods and give it a Shot.

The Cherry Bomber was in the price range, and I figured that if All it had was the Auto Firing problem, I could work with that. For now anyway, so that's why I got it. More Battery Power, More battery life and could reach the Sub Ohm I was wanting to do and try in the Near Future.

I usually use the VV for if I travel, It's easy and compact. If I'm out and about I like to have something with a Longer Battery life. It's like my O2 LOL, Pretty much not a minute goes by that I'm not vaping.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
try touching your key to the top part of it even with an atty that does fit and it will auto fire even if locked. You put that in your pocket with keys and you are likely gonna blow your balls off
That's whats nice about the MCV Raptor. It's basically a redesigned cherry bomber except the whole top of the mod is made of machined delrin. Not to mention it looks cool has hell... lol

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks...the smpl on the far right was done buy another member and i picked it up on a trade with a different member he traded with...I like the natural copper look myself...i still have a few more models to pick up before i call it quits with anymore tube mechs...maybe a stainless mech or 2 thrown in.

vapeog

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I do both I have a 50 watt box but I mainly stick to my ar and my fuhatton mech mods

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've never had one but plan to buy one. But I'll be honest, I'm terrified of something with no failsafe.

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've never had one but plan to buy one. But I'll be honest, I'm terrified of something with no failsafe.
The only thing you need to do is a little research and see if there are any major issues with the mod. Some out there have design flaws which make them unsafe, but a majority of the mods I have seen work well, and it really depends on the build you put on it and the batteries you are using. Of course never put the batteries in the wrong way lol

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks...the smpl on the far right was done buy another member and i picked it up on a trade with a different member he traded with...I like the natural copper look myself...i still have a few more models to pick up before i call it quits with anymore tube mechs...maybe a stainless mech or 2 thrown in.
I plan on buying a smpl for my flight home. Its so light and small makes for a really handy device. Plus the fire button is flush and i really dont worry about it autofiring in a case. How much should that be. Guy here is trying to sell me one for about 50 dollars

XVapeX

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I plan on buying a smpl for my flight home. Its so light and small makes for a really handy device. Plus the fire button is flush and i really dont worry about it autofiring in a case. How much should that be. Guy here is trying to sell me one for about 50 dollars
A clone? I have gotten two very good clones for about 12 bucks shipped from angelecig

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I don't know what they run, but, according to some folks the 'a-mod' smpl clone is the one to get. I've heard from several people that it is the highest quality.
I don't have a smpl so I wouldn't be able to speak first party, just passing it along

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't know what they run, but, according to some folks the 'a-mod' smpl clone is the one to get. I've heard from several people that it is the highest quality.
I don't have a smpl so I wouldn't be able to speak first party, just passing it along
A guy let me try his and it hit nice put out a good vapor too, he was using a min haze on it and i liked it alot.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My nephew developed button issues with his SMPL mod..told me it's getting hot all of a sudden...I don't own a SMPL either so I don't know if the button could be easily taken apart for cleaning maybe...

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I Put the Batteries in. Apparently the 510 was Loose, or loose enough, that when I tightened the Tank up (Kangertech Mini Sub-Ohm Tank), it must have Twisted the Copper Firing Nut, Which completed the Circuit.

When I noticed the Addy was Firing, I took the Cover off, Loosened the Copper Screw contacts and Yanked the Batteries quickly.

1 was warm enough that the Plastic Insulator on the bottom Negative size split some. So in order to have problems with it, I just added a Piece of Electrical Tape so the bare metal wouldn't be touching the Case incause it caused trouble.

It wasn't Flaming hot or burning to the touch or anything so I figured it would be ok.

If this can cause a Serious issue then I'll remove it, The mod works as a Single or Duel 18650, I'll just use 1 Battery. I didn't think it would be a big problem.
Some people would say that if it got significantly overheated at all it's not worth placing a $6 bet on your safety by continuing to use the battery. I'll let you be the judge of how hot is too hot, but for me hot enough to melt the wrapper is definitely in that territory - the internals of that cell are likely damaged, decreasing its capacity in both amps and mah and increasing the likelihood of a future problem.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Never tried a HAZE, amazingly enough, I temd to try not everything when the local shop starts to inventory it. it looks cool as hell. bottom lone really is if you like it, and you don't mind spending the money, then get it. In three weeks you'll see something else and the next thing you know that one mod young bought multiplied into a shelf full of stuff and you're still always reaching for that one setup that you found to be your olé faithful. very seldom will that one change. -that's when it becomes more than nicotine replacement therapy. Lol
My nephew developed button issues with his SMPL mod..told me it's getting hot all of a sudden...I don't own a SMPL either so I don't know if the button could be easily taken apart for cleaning maybe...

Isn't the smpl switch similar to the 4-nine? Just two magnets?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Never tried a HAZE, amazingly enough, I temd to try not everything when the local shop starts to inventory it. it looks cool as hell. bottom lone really is if you like it, and you don't mind spending the money, then get it. In three weeks you'll see something else and the next thing you know that one mod young bought multiplied into a shelf full of stuff and you're still always reaching for that one setup that you found to be your olé faithful. very seldom will that one change. -that's when it becomes more than nicotine replacement therapy. Lol

Isn't the smpl switch similar to the 4-nine? Just two magnets?
I think so, but I never owned one of those either..heard the magnets were prone to problems and difficult to replace...

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I think so, but I never owned one of those either..heard the magnets were prone to problems and difficult to replace...

Haha... that explains it dude,,, it comes with a spring but apparently nemesis magnets can be used to replace the spring.

VU Sponsors