Become a Patron!

Anyone still using mechs?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haha... that explains it dude,,, it comes with a spring but apparently nemesis magnets can be used to replace the spring.
6a76d53a70dec1cafed2706d08e64721.jpg

When I heard problems about the 4-nine switch I went ahead and spent the extra $$ for the XXIX seen here with the Dark Horse..it has a magnetic copper switch that is very easy easy to clean...lol

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I still like my 4-nine a lot... but have been using my flagship for 99% of mech vaping. The smoothest switch I've ever used! I have a authentic stingrayX but that thing isn't allowed out the house,
When I heard problems about the 4-nine switch I went ahead and spent the extra $$ for the XXIX seen here with the Dark Horse..it has a magnetic copper switch that is very easy easy to clean...lol

What's a xxix?

Last edited:

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ce3caa124508a86081047049ec60b304.jpg

I like a smooth vape too..the copper Zenith shown here is great for flavor but the Dark Horse is best for clouds..I switch up between the two..lol

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
ce3caa124508a86081047049ec60b304.jpg

I like a smooth vape too..the copper Zenith shown here is great for flavor but the Dark Horse is best for clouds..I switch up between the two..lol

Been using this most... love the tugboat, where I just swap the cap for a different performance, same build dame atty just bounce from anarchist to slamcap... and that zenith is sick looking!
temporary_zpsx72uiyzk.jpg

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been using this most... love the tugboat, where I just swap the cap for a different performance, same build dame atty just bounce from anarchist to slamcap... and that zenith is sick looking!
temporary_zpsx72uiyzk.jpg
Thanks! I also vape my copper BFM occasionally..but since getting a few high powered box mods I vape it less these days..
But it's still a enjoyable vape! Lol
d64c3c6161f926650d333c7d892872ae.jpg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
26650?
I kept saying after juggling different batteries firm the provape days that I would never go back. yet, I ordered a dna200 :(0 now I get to play with lipos

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
26650?
I kept saying after juggling different batteries firm the provape days that I would never go back. yet, I ordered a dna200 :(0 now I get to play with lipos
Yeah, I run a 3500 mAh 26650 batt in it..goes alot longer on one charge than my 18650 mech...

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, I run a 3500 mAh 26650 batt in it..goes alot longer on one charge than my 18650 mech...

What's the amp rating?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's the amp rating?
I believe they're 35A..didn't say but I guess I could look up this number on the MNKE website... Been running them for awhile now with no issues at all
48c6581d6df4a5c702b0a12eda251433.jpg
b942753630de0013111f13e976860330.jpg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hmmm could be fun....... no-no-no-no.... have enough toys

AstroTurf

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I believe they're 35A..didn't say but I guess I could look up this number on the MNKE website... Been running them for awhile now with no issues at all
48c6581d6df4a5c702b0a12eda251433.jpg
b942753630de0013111f13e976860330.jpg

Whats the lowest you build with those?

Thanks, Jim

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Bout the same performance as a vtc5 only much more battery life?
About .2-.15 ohms...

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hmmm would be cool to use those with a sx350 board

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's correct..3500 vs 2500 mAh or something like that.. They do go alot longer for sure

f25bbe3c69ab56ce627d9452af90c055.jpg

Recently took my stainless BFM offshore on recent fishing trip..
Took only two fully charged batts, a 50 ml bottle of juice and was good for the whole 1-1/2 day trip..we knocked the heck out of the Yellowtail that day!
044ef1eedf89df6636c792fa326023b5.jpg

Seen here with the Arctic with the .2 ohm coil..note I had to modify the pin on the Arctic to protrude about 2mm to work safely on the hybrid top cap..

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Brave man... dude. this coonass wont leave land with anything I like.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Brave man... dude. this coonass wont leave land with anything I like.
Lol
I live in southern California about 10 mi from the beach..I won't take any of my VW mods into a saltwater or sand environment..
If I accidentally drop my stainless BFM mech into a bait well it's no big deal..simply take it apart and rinse under fresh water..replace the batt and install a new coil/juice in the tank and I'm good to go again..doing that with a VW box mod with a chip and display would probly mean disaster.. So I don't take any chances...lol

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Lol
I live in southern California about 10 mi from the beach..I won't take any of my VW mods into a saltwater or sand environment..
If I accidentally drop my stainless BFM mech into a bait well it's no big deal..simply take it apart and rinse under fresh water..replace the batt and install a new coil/juice in the tank and I'm good to go again..doing that with a VW box mod with a chip and display would probly mean disaster.. So I don't take any chances...lol

Ive already done that with p2.5. but when I stopped vaping that low I switched to an old mech., I'm on the gulf so I spend quite a bit of time on or near the water. I considered that heavape as a watersports mod, but never pulled the triggger

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ive already done that with p2.5. but when I stopped vaping that low I switched to an old mech., I'm on the gulf so I spend quite a bit of time on or near the water. I considered that heavape as a watersports mod, but never pulled the triggger
Pm'd you

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@smacksy ...there are 2 versions of the SMPL..version 1 and vesion 2...version one uses a spring and v2 uses magnets....Is it a copper version?

They arent difficult to take apart to clean at all...another issue could be oxidation...the firing button on the inside at least needs to be clean and polished up a bit to maintain proper conductivity.

If he has the version with magnets an issue could be that one of them broke in two.

I have 2 V1 smpls and they are great little mechs....the spring versions tend to give zero problems.

And that battery you have is not a 35 amp continuous but a 35 amp burst rating...i think its more like a 20 amp or less continuous...id be cautious building that low using those batteries....sony did make a 26650 that put out 25 amp continuous but you will be hard pressed to find one.

Arizona

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Since I got my SMPL, I haven't touched my regulated devices. I prefer mechs and waited until I had enough know-how before I picked one up. I plan on only using mechs, mainly because of their simplicity and durability.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use my SMPL v1 and Mutation X v3 all day every day. Love the hell out of this mech. Hits real hard. They really nailed it with the spring-loaded, sprocketed, recessed button. I've never had it stick, short, or back out on me. I haven't been tempted to buy another mech in all of the time I've spent using it. I think it's a perfect device. It's the simplest thing in the world to use and maintain.

I run a dual nichrome 24 build at .3 ohms. Still gives me all the power the nichrome needs to perform with less battery drain than what I would be seeing with how low I'd have to go to get similar performance with kanthal. Two Samsung 25r's will last me all day long and the thing is bulletproof.

Like others, I like the simplicity and ruggedness of a mech. I can carry it around in my pocket at work, on hikes, at the beach, while out getting too drunk, or whatever without a single worry. I've been using them for so long that building coils to suit them has become second nature. It is to me what a hunter's favorite rifle is to them. It always works like it's supposed to and just feels right. It's comfortable and familiar - good ole' reliable.

If you think of regulated mods as high-performance, turbocharged v8 engines, then mechs are more like four-stroke, inline-six diesel engines.

That being said, I do want to buy a high-powered box for claptons and other power-thirsty coils with lotsa metal crammed into em.

Last edited:

XVapeX

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I use my SMPL v1 and Mutation X v3 all day every day. Love the hell out of this mech. Hits real hard. They really nailed it with the spring-loaded, sprocketed, recessed button. I've never had it stick, short, or back out on me. I haven't been tempted to buy another mech in all of the time I've spent using it. I think it's a perfect device. It's the simplest thing in the world to use and maintain.

I run a dual nichrome 24 build at .3 ohms. Still gives me all the power the nichrome needs to perform with less battery drain than what I would be seeing with how low I'd have to go to get similar performance with kanthal. Two Samsung 25r's will last me all day long and the thing is bulletproof.

Like others, I like the simplicity and ruggedness of a mech. I can carry it around in my pocket at work, on hikes, at the beach, while out getting too drunk, or whatever without a single worry. I've been using them for so long that building coils to suit them has become second nature. It is to me what a hunter's favorite rifle is to them. It always works like it's supposed to and just feels right. It's comfortable and familiar - good ole' reliable.

If you think of regulated mods as high-performance, turbocharged v8 engines, then mechs are more like four-stroke, inline-six diesel engines.

That being said, I do want to buy a high-powered box for claptons and other power-thirsty coils with lotsa metal crammed into em.
It is good to see such a vibrant market for mechs I def don't think they will be going out of style for a LONG time if at all. And once the banhammer runs around mechs will likely be what we end up having to go to completely. Once our APVs boards give out.

AstroTurf

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Fuck yeah. I still use them. I love my mechs. Its the only way I can push 48 amps at .08 ohm
That sounds like a 184 watts of Awesome!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never had one but plan to buy one. But I'll be honest, I'm terrified of something with no failsafe.
Just use safe good batteries and life should be good :) I personally enjoy the Sony c4 they're one of the best batteries I use for my mech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is good to see such a vibrant market for mechs I def don't think they will be going out of style for a LONG time if at all. And once the banhammer runs around mechs will likely be what we end up having to go to completely. Once our APVs boards give out.
True, true. You can fashion a mech out of anything if you can't find a purpose-built one. Those things are apocalypse-proof, though.

That aside, I think they're great as learning tools. I think every vaper who wants to tread the deeper waters should start with a mech rather than, say, a Sigelei 150.

It's sort of like how when you start studying photography, you use a basic and dated, 35mm film SLR instead of a digital SLR because it forces you to learn about what goes into making a good photograph and how a camera works and yet it's harder to break, but you're still working with a very powerful and flexible medium. Everything you need to make professional-quality art is there... ...somewhere. You learn to love that camera

You learn to do things for yourself that other cameras can do for you because you can't even see the pictures you're taking until you kill that roll and develop it, and that puts you at an advantage when you get one with more advanced features because you already have that fundamental understanding of how and why they do what they do, so you can take full advantage of the power they put into your hands. You already know how to meter on the fly and adjust shutter speed for your film to get the proper detail/exposure. "Auto-focus" only saves you a bit of trouble. If you know how to operate a 35mm film camera well, then the rest are toys to you. You could build one yourself, if you needed to.

The more you work for it, the more it works for you, yanno?

The same goes for mechs, really. If you can learn to get what you want out of one, then the world of vaping is yours.

Last edited:

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I been using cherrybomber exclusively for a month or 2 without issues. Original spring in switch n everything.
I see no reason to choose a vwvv device over a mech if you can build a good deck a mech is a solid choice.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True, true. You can fashion a mech out of anything if you can't find a purpose-built one. Those things are apocalypse-proof, though.

That aside, I think they're great as learning tools. I think every vaper who wants to tread the deeper waters should start with a mech rather than, say, a Sigelei 150.

It's sort of like how when you start studying photography, you use a basic and dated, 35mm film SLR instead of a digital SLR because it forces you to learn about what goes into making a good photograph and how a camera works and yet it's harder to break, but you're still working with a very powerful and flexible medium. Everything you need to make professional-quality art is there... ...somewhere.

You learn to do things for yourself that other cameras can do for you because you can't even see the pictures you're taking until you kill that roll and develop it, and that puts you at an advantage when you get one with more advanced features because you already have that fundamental understanding of how and why they do what they do, so you can take full advantage of the power they put into your hands. You already know how to meter on the fly and adjust shutter speed for your film to get the proper detail/exposure. "Auto-focus" only saves you a bit of trouble. If you know how to operate a 35mm film camera well, then the rest are toys to you. You could build one yourself, if you needed to.

The more you work for it, the more it works for you, yanno?

The same goes for mechs, really. If you can learn to get what you want out of one, then the world of vaping is yours.
From a guy who spent hours in a high school darkroom trying to nail the perfectly-contrasted action shot, this is a great analogy. The caveat is that you need to respect your equipment and understand its limits before embarking on your journey...

AstroTurf

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just got a new to me mech today...

Thanks Madd Hatter!!!

93c2d93017fe516f8fb24f34566a6f23.jpg

AstroTurf

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I still mainly use my REOS. Don't know if these count but they are a MECH.. :)
A mechs a mech...

Cause it ain't got no boards or other bull...

Just pure vaping pleasure!!!

Arizona

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I equate mechs to an old AC Cobra... Beautiful to look at, no nonsense added, but a serious tool for those seeking a pure, unadulterated vaping experience. Regulated mods are like a Prius... High tech, lots of goofy gadgets, and well, not very easy on the eyes. Granted, not all regulated mods are fugly, but some of those things are flat out goofy looking. I know there are mech box mods, but at least they don't have tacky OLED screens at least. Just my preference/opinion of course

Fishman1704

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use mechs simply because the ones I have are virtually indestructible. You could drive a truck over them and I think the truck would take more damage. I had three regulated devices and they are all bricks now. Shit just happens with the circuitry and they quit after a time. The mechs just keep on ticking.
Apollo copper mod clone
Abaddon copper mod clone.
Not one wire to be found on either one, and made from solid copper. You can't beat the reliability of these.

havoc1967

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
All I use are mechanicals. Simple, straight forward and durable. No circuitry to fail or chips to wear out. I believe in keeping things as simple as possible. A good mech and a good RDA and I'm happy.

im using a AV SLS m-5 currently it has an earth magnet switch. authentic. been using it for about a year. no real issues. it survived bonaroo ( where the mech mods did not that others had) I love the simple mech idea. no electronic boards and crap that fail ( they are built to do so IMO so that you have little choice but to upgrade)

VU Sponsors