Become a Patron!

Asked Wismec support a question and got this.....

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I asked Wismec support this question, and they just told me that I should use higher rated batteries........ Has anyone ever thought about accidentally pulsing 20A cells at max voltage after a firmware update? Or am I the only one ._.

3c90d64d48ef097b3797b4940784877d.jpg

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
They want to hurt people :)

Wismecs new slogan... It's just a explosion in ur face...

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While you're only really hitting them with four ~tenth of a second pulses, at about 30A... I agree that it's ludicrous that all current JoyeTech TC mods reset to max after an update.

Still... it's more comforting to remember that little detail, and lower the TC wattage before mounting an atty after an update.

Bottom line... for the vast majority of we who bought these pissing contest high watt boxes, the wick will be toast in two seconds. Not a mistake one is likely to repeat. Barring trying to vape it... even good 20A cells (like most of us use) should be fine getting to the RX's TC power adjust screen.

However... don't JTech have a 200w dual 18650 as well? :eek:

:p

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You mean like the Cuboid and eVic VTC Dual?

No, those are each 150w so still only 75w per cell.

No silly 100w per cell models in the JT stable? :confused:
Surprising actually... it's become almost the norm. Not efficient or reasonable, but... expected.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are no true 35A batteries, all 35A batteries are just 20A rewraps (or worst), so it's kind of a stupid answer.
It's just just Wismec covering their own ass.
You should be fine up to 190W with 20A batteries, but if you actually intend to use it at higher wattage you should get higher rated batteries.
Accidentally using your 20A at 250W might sightly damage them, but not to the point that they are unusable/unsafe to use.

NickIsANoob

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
HB 2/4/6 can all handle 100w per cell pulls without internal damage but they don't have the greatest capacity.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I updated my RX's they also went to 250W, I noticed this and turned it down to a more sedate level though.

From pressing the button to enter the menu, it is a very, very fast click, and there is no sound of the device firing, so I imagine it is so fast it is really a non issue, and even if you did fire at this power with fully charged batteries you won't be going that much over the CDR due to the input voltage.

I do think it is silly though that it sets the device to its maximum power after a firmware update, as others have mentioned if you did not notice this that would be a major burnt hit for the most of us!

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I updated my RX's they also went to 250W, I noticed this and turned it down to a more sedate level though.

From pressing the button to enter the menu, it is a very, very fast click, and there is no sound of the device firing, so I imagine it is so fast it is really a non issue, and even if you did fire at this power with fully charged batteries you won't be going that much over the CDR due to the input voltage.

I do think it is silly though that it sets the device to its maximum power after a firmware update, as others have mentioned if you did not notice this that would be a major burnt hit for the most of us!
I'm just surprised a Google search on this yielded no relevant results! I'm really the only one who thought of this! My 18650 of choice is the Samsung 25r for sure! 3 fully charged cells at 250w would put them right at their CDR, now a more drained battery....... This could be an issue.....

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm just surprised a Google search on this yielded no relevant results! I'm really the only one who thought of this! My 18650 of choice is the Samsung 25r for sure! 3 fully charged cells at 250w would put them right at their CDR, now a more drained battery....... This could be an issue.....

Well you don't use only fully charged batteries, that's why you don't do the calculations with 4.2V and that's why 20A batteries are not suitable for 250W.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes that is strange that there was no results on this, I would of thought more people would of thought this and asked.

I only mentioned fully charged batteries as when I do firmware updates I do so with charged batteries, but calculating at cut off voltage if the device could fire at 250W, that would be just over 26A. (EDIT: Before efficiency comes into play) We are talking of a very fast process here though, so fast I am not sure the batteries would of started to supply power to fire, and even if they did the mod would of reduced power protecting you further.

If someone did not notice though, this is the real issue. With good batteries, a quick mistake at this power level will not result in immediate failure or even likely damage to your batteries- many people regularly use these batteries past this level in mechs. I can't say it is 100% safe to do so as I never recommend exceeding the CDR of a battery although many do, the data sheet for the 25R is good as you will know you are safe if this did happen.

The real problem would be for someone like me with a build for say 30W max getting the worst ever burnt hit lol.

Last edited:

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes that is strange that there was no results on this, I would of thought more people would of thought this and asked.

I only mentioned fully charged batteries as when I do firmware updates I do so with charged batteries, but calculating at cut off voltage if the device could fire at 250W, that would be just over 26A. (EDIT: Before efficiency comes into play) We are talking of a very fast process here though, so fast I am not sure the batteries would of started to supply power to fire, and even if they did the mod would of reduced power protecting you further.

If someone did not notice though, this is the real issue. With good batteries, a quick mistake at this power level will not result in immediate failure or even likely damage to your batteries- many people regularly use these batteries past this level in mechs. I can't say it is 100% safe to do so as I never recommend exceeding the CDR of a battery although many do, the data sheet for the 25R is good as you will know you are safe if this did happen.

The real problem would be for someone like me with a build for say 30W max getting the worst ever burnt hit lol.
My build would take about 80W max, though last time I fired at just 60w, burnt coil...... Also, notice how the rep told me to get 35A batteries? There's no such thing as a true 35A battery. That's bad info! Lol

VU Sponsors