Become a Patron!

AWG & Ohms

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys.... I was thinking, if I have a 22g coil, and a 28g coil, BOTH at the same resistance, is there going to be a difference in heat-up?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There will be, based on the mass of the metal. Thicker wire (22ga) is lower resistance, so to bring it up to the same resistance as the thinner wire (28ga), it'll take a lot more wraps, so the wire is thicker, and there's a lot more of it, so the 22ga is going to take a lot longer to ramp up. Unless you pound it with massive wattage.

Andria

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There will be, based on the mass of the metal. Thicker wire (22ga) is lower resistance, so to bring it up to the same resistance as the thinner wire (28ga), it'll take a lot more wraps, so the wire is thicker, and there's a lot more of it, so the 22ga is going to take a lot longer to ramp up. Unless you pound it with massive wattage.

Andria

With the resistance letting the same amount of current through, that's where I get confused. Then again, it makes sense that the thicker wire is going to take longer.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With the resistance letting the same amount of current through, that's where I get confused. Then again, it makes sense that the thicker wire is going to take longer.

It's just the greater mass of the metal -- it's both thicker, and you need more of it, to reach the same resistance, since thicker wire has a lower resistance.

Andria

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohms determine voltage required to reach a wattage output and tell what amp rate at which it will occur........ the mass or amount of metal contained in a finished coil determines how much heat the electrical magic will produce.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors