B&M or Online

GulfVapor

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am thinking of starting another small business and I was curious about having a online presence. Is the market flooded with good priced/fast shipping options? I have a 1200 square foot building with all the amenities that I could work out of beside my current home ( it is already zoned commercial ). There is also a great high traffic location in my town that would work great as a B&M shop. The problem with that is, there is only one real vapor shop in town and I became great friends with the manager but they have only a small quanity of mods and 1 line of juice. I would hate to compete with them, but if it came down to it, I think I would.

GulfVapor

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, I offered the owner of the shop a fair offer and she turned it down and my friend that is a manager at the shop will not leave as the owner is a close friend of hers.

Online, I could offer same day shipping with orders before 3 PM Central standard time and next day after that time as I do with my other business.

I just know I am going to lose a friend that is pretty damn awesome if I open a B&M but, with the extra business I could buy a jet ski and have you ever seen anyone frown on a jet ski? :))

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How is out classing and offering what is needed a competition instead of good business sense?
It is business not you being an Olympic athlete dominating the Special Olympics.
1 juice line... smacks of bought cheap sub par rebranded juice at damned near premium prices.
Lack of mods guessing also at a premium with them being clones..
Fuck it, the owner is not a vapor nor a business person opening yours would be a mercy kill of a wounded animal.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Business is business. Friends are friends.

You do what YOU want to do. The market will decide if you are good or not. The market will decide the demand for your business. IF YOU see a shortfall, other do too and are already spending their vape dollars someplace else. Why not capture those dollars for yourself?

If they are truly a friend, they will understand. It's just business, not something personal.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
To really do well on the B@M side you have to make your own juice line and it should be of the instant variety where you have a tech that can make it on the spot with variations most of your profit will come from juice. You will then garner a following.Also you will need to provide both the low end and a hand picked set of the middle quality stuff and some of the most talked a out mods and be on top of them all the time as some will seek you out..
As @Celtic Fog said Both you need to see what will work in your market for that which does not sell in the shop it offloaded online if necessary but a online presence is a must some just do not want to go into a BM at all.. Ok thats enough to get ya started Im not telling you everything as I consult
good luck and Godspeed

Scooby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, I offered the owner of the shop a fair offer and she turned it down and my friend that is a manager at the shop will not leave as the owner is a close friend of hers.

Online, I could offer same day shipping with orders before 3 PM Central standard time and next day after that time as I do with my other business.

I just know I am going to lose a friend that is pretty damn awesome if I open a B&M but, with the extra business I could buy a jet ski and have you ever seen anyone frown on a jet ski? :))
I've never seen anyone frown on a jet ski. Go for it.

GulfVapor

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you all for your replies. I think I am going to move forward with the B&M. I contacting the real estate agency tomorrow and go through with the process of getting a business license, setup with wholesalers ect.

GulfVapor

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lol btw I had thought of a name but its already taken online. Choosing a name is the hardest part for me.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Lol btw I had thought of a name but its already taken online. Choosing a name is the hardest part for me.
Choose it wisely friend. It can hold much meaning and is not easily changed.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Let me relate a little about my experience with my local area.

There is ONE vape shop left. The one that just closed, was run by someone with the dream of owning a business, with the mindset of an employee (not a business owner).
The shop that is left, they make juice in house, and WILL NOT sell anyone else's juice. They also have an extremely mediocre selection of crap. They are buying most everything from Fast Tech, and marking it up for at least TWICE of Ebay pricing. Kental is 50 cents a foot. Jap cotton is 2 bucks a pad. Their own juice is 15 bucks or so a 15 mil.

I tried hooking these dummies up with a box mod maker that is fairly local. Shop manager has put him off, even though this would be an ideal situation for BOTH of them. Idiot shop manager told me he WANTS to carry the box mods and I hooked him up.

IF I were inclined, I could open a vape shop of my own, and drive these idiots out of town. But, I have no desire to open a vape shop, especially with the state of affairs in regards to the FDA and possible coming laws.

GulfVapor

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lol @ Vaping Uranus.

I really am worried about the upcoming FDA regulations though and it stomping the business into the ground. Big tobacco might even be handing a few of these guys thick envelopes, if you know what I mean.

Any business is a risk though.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I thought pussy juice would be good too. Sounds dirty, but not if the logo is a cat in a hipster hat vaping and ego. Vapers are dirty minded though. I've heard of stripper juice, juicy bj. Strawberry sex, Smurf jizz. So Pussy juice should fit right in.

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The local shop near me only sells their own juice and it isn't very good. They are also the only game in town. I live in a very rural area though. I think the FDA is a potential problem but the market will have to adapt as regulations come about. Right now I think people are making a ton of money but that will change in the near future. I also think that some states will be worse than others. I live in New York where cigarettes are $10 a pack.
This is just my opinion though. I would buy local and support a small business if the juice line was decent. I don't have that option though and wish I did.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You could have a signature juice that is a drink flavor and call it Pussy Liquor.

Just saying. I bet the old folks would buy the hell out of some pussy Liquor.

GulfVapor

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lmao @ Pussy liquors.

I had a idea of " Fox Lab Vapors " or " Insane Vapors "

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Vaping Uranus. It's not shit, it's out of this world.
I thought pussy juice would be good too. Sounds dirty, but not if the logo is a cat in a hipster hat vaping and ego. Vapers are dirty minded though. I've heard of stripper juice, juicy bj. Strawberry sex, Smurf jizz. So Pussy juice should fit right in.
You could have a signature juice that is a drink flavor and call it Pussy Liquor.

No. Just no.

galsvapetoo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you are worried about losing a friend because you open up your own shop and you do lose them. They weren't really your friend to begin with. And you did the right thing by offering in first. Don't let other people hold you back from your dreams even if that means riding a ski boat. You really only live once be like Nike just do it

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Competition is healthy for the small business scene. If you open a shop, offer better juice, more mods and RDAs, more additional parts and batteries at better prices, then they will have to grow and adapt to survive. I understand not wanting to hurt the business your friend works for, but worst case scenario, you can hire him if they go under. Sounds like the owner is just in business to make money anyway. I doubt she has a passion for vaping like you obviously do.
As long as you're not opening a shop with the express intent of hurting their business, I wouldn't worry about it in the least. That's how the free market is supposed to work.

GulfVapor

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Competition is healthy for the small business scene. If you open a shop, offer better juice, more mods and RDAs, more additional parts and batteries at better prices, then they will have to grow and adapt to survive. I understand not wanting to hurt the business your friend works for, but worst case scenario, you can hire him if they go under. Sounds like the owner is just in business to make money anyway. I doubt she has a passion for vaping like you obviously do.
As long as you're not opening a shop with the express intent of hurting their business, I wouldn't worry about it in the least. That's how the free market is supposed to work.

Yea, I agree with you. I love vaping, I have helped a few folks get off tobacco. I am up to 5 so far including my 83 year old grandfather who just beat throat cancer due to smoking ( He started smoking around 10 years old ). I spend my free time building coils, trying different wicking techniques and researching the latest and greatest and the old tried and true.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Me too. Love it.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I frequently find myself trying out coil designs I know are ridiculous just ro see if I can make them work.

GulfVapor

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have wasted soooo much wire. I would try vertical coils, different ohm coils, ect. I have to order some more, I wanna try twisted coils.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I should make a lemon flavored juice called " The big squirt "

We better stop before we get banned.

Don't mind brown coat. They seen like a sincerely good person (and I mean that) however they have a slight lack of finding humor in posts and take thing more literal than they are intended. I am not saying they have the personality of a dead moth. Just that they need to loosen up.

Big squirt would be good. A pink grapefruit blend named stinky pinky would be good too.

And browncoat, I mean absolutely no offence. Loosen up and have some fun. Vaping doesn't have to be serious. If so blowing huge clouds would be outlawed by the vaping community. We are here to offer good serious sound advice and help, the rest is for our personal enjoyment. Cheers.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sometimes a good name for something is a good marketing ploy. But overdoing it can lead to people being less than wowed.

I hope the OP'er knows that a little of this fun is cool, even to bind it into his business. But if everything is outrageous, it will be a passing fad. It's definitely a good thing to have fun with your business, but you have to think long term. Being silly has no longevity in business.

Panty dropper was HOT for a little bit. Now a fad that has passed. The name no longer inspires curiosity.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
This isn't something I post often, but I agree with @freemind.

I like to have fun and have a great sense of humor. But, matters of business need to be taken seriously. Whimsical names sell products in the right market, and this is one of those markets. However, names like Pussy Juice, Pussy Liquor, and others suggested by @lamme are way off the reservation in terms of viability. It has nothing to do with humor.

Where is the line drawn - Jew Juice? How about Seamen Semen? I know...Date Rape! That sounds like a fun, tasty e-liquid, doesn't it? Better yet, let's have some Lawsuit, FDA Ban, or You'll Never Sell a Single Bottle of This.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I like to have fun and have a great sense of humor. But, matters of business need to be taken seriously. Whimsical names sell products in the right market, and this is one of those markets. However, names like Pussy Juice, Pussy Liquor, and others suggested by @lamme are way off the reservation in terms of viability. It has nothing to do with humor.

Where is the line drawn - Jew Juice? How about Seamen Semen? I know...Date Rape! That sounds like a fun, tasty e-liquid, doesn't it? Better yet, let's have some Lawsuit, FDA Ban, or You'll Never Sell a Single Bottle of This.
Well, @Browncoat , while Date Rape does indeed sound like a fun flavor, I don't believe either Rohipnol nor Gamma-hodroxy butrate are actually vapable...

No, actually you do have a very valid point. Novelty does have it's place, but those names are beyond the line of good taste. Even though vaping is still considered 'fringe' (and that's changing at an unreal pace anyway), a certain amount of decorum and consideration for the ENTIRE customer base must be maintained. Otherwise you risk alienating half your clientele. And you might as well lock it up and go home at that point.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

@lamme Jew Juice? How about Seamen ? I know...Date Rape! That sounds like a fun, doesn't it? .

What exactly are you trying to tell me? I'm a little creeped out right now.

And I am pretty sure he never thought pussy liqueur was sound business advice.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The best way, IMO, to create a high demand for your juice, is to make it elusive. Create a top shelf premium juice, and only make it in limited quantities. That's no joke.

People want things they can't just have any old time.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The best way, IMO, to create a high demand for your juice, is to make it elusive. Create a top shelf premium juice, and only make it in limited quantities. That's no joke.

People want things they can't just have any old time.
That is absolutely true. Know what makes a Maserati better than a Mercedes? Made in smaller quantities, and an Italian name. Pretty much it. The Benz is an overall better car hands down, from a technical standpoint.
The 'limited edition' or 'small batch' labels make even subpar products fly off the shelf.
(Please note, I am comparing the S Class and high end E class Mercedes. Just so this doesn't become a favorite import flame war...)

galsvapetoo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would buy a bottle of date rape

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's not how date rape works!!!
Sorry, I'm a traditional sort of guy. No date rape without at least dinner first. I shan't be moved on this.

(Please don't ban us...)

galsvapetoo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry, I'm a traditional sort of guy. No date rape without at least dinner first. I shan't be moved on this.

(Please don't ban us...)
Fine dinner and a movie sheesh

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I will just leave this here and be on my way with a tip of the hat.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well played, sir or madam. Well played, indeed.
It is sir and thank you.

This has been an interesting derail. From B&M stores to the current standing. I'm shocked it hasn't been moved. Unless, it was and I missed the post.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It is sir and thank you.

This has been an interesting derail. From B&M stores to the current standing. I'm shocked it hasn't been moved. Unless, it was and I missed the post.
Then Sir it is, and ever shall be! I declare this to be 'Sir Day'. Inform the peasants, so that they may rejoice.

GulfVapor

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok ok...OP Is back after a weekend of being out of town and no internet.

Iv decided a few different options " Insanity Vapors " and a few others that I am kicking around. The building I looked at was a no go due to rent being absurd for the location and size. I visited a few larger vapor shops in different cities and got some great ideas.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok ok...OP Is back after a weekend of being out of town and no internet.

Iv decided a few different options " Insanity Vapors " and a few others that I am kicking around. The building I looked at was a no go due to rent being absurd for the location and size. I visited a few larger vapor shops in different cities and got some great ideas.
Awesome. Hope you get it up and running.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Iv decided a few different options " Insanity Vapors " and a few others that I am kicking around.
What else are you kicking around? Not sure I'd want a grammatical error as a business name (Insane Vapors would be correct).

VU Sponsors