Become a Patron!

Baby beast T8 coil constant burning taste, any other suggestions?

scoobasteve

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all,
I have switched from an ego style pen after a couple weeks, to an Alien 220w and love it, but I keep getting this burnt crap taste, I've tried what seems everything

currently on 12mg and for some reason I keep getting crappy tasting hits! ive tried everything, im currently vaping at 25-30 watts anything above and I get a burnt taste. It's my second coil and I did everything right, it is a T8 coil.
Everytime I put it down or especially when I get up in the morning it takes a while for the dry hits to stop and I get it tasting good, so I put it down and it just keeps tasting harsh.

I'm vaping Max vg juice from https://vapourium.nz/ but it also happens with other ejuice like the milkman e juice

I'm now looking to build my own coils and ordering a 3d printed mod box, can't wait

I actually just read another post and a youtube video and think its the gunk after 3-4 days and high VG juice, I also pinched and scratched the cottons on the wicking windows on the side of the coil heads and I changed to a new coil and bang it tastes like crap still?

if it persists im going to switch down to 60/40 juice till I get an RDA.. ill go from there I think

but another question, a new coil, the first few hits does it taste a bit o

love the forum, thank you!

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It sounds like your coils aren't wicking fast enough with the juice you're using. Meaning that either the juice is probably too thick for it or you're chain-hitting it too fast. Try thinner liquid or longer times between hits.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I've had one for a couple weeks and had no issues with 70/30, though 60/40 seems to wick a lot faster. Odd after sitting is when you get a dry hit, I know if I accidentally get a little juice down the chimney it tastes a little burnt for a hit or 2 until it burns off.

You may have, but it's a good idea to prime a new coil by dripping a few drops on the coils and side wick slots, then fill the tank and let it sit a few minutes for good measure. The first couple hits of the new coil will taste a little funky anyway IME. First if you haven't I'd try a lower vg like 60/40. Goodluck!

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Can you send a picture of the coil/wick?

Seeing the coil / wick will let us know if there is a problem with spot heating or hot legs. (caused by loose wire contacts)

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Isn't 20-30 watts waaaayyy too low for a T8 coil?
I don't have a smok tank so not sure but I don't think any of those beast series tanks run that low.

You may just be boiling the juice instead of vaporizing it if the minimum for your coil is say 60w.

Maybe a smok tank owner knows the ranges for those coils if your not sure.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I think anything with 12mg nic ran subohm tastes like shit... maybe try a 6mg or 9mg juice? 9mg in a subohm tank is a fuck load of nic.

Last edited:

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try running lower nic and raise your wattage alot

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

kingshockey

Member For 4 Years
i had that issue too what i di was stay at low watts the first few tanks after putting new coil and i would open the top for a few seconds each time after chain vaping a few hits i noticed doing that would flood the coil up and i wouldnt get dry hits no more a little spit back but its better than dry hits also for myself the q2 coil worked best for air flow and no dry hitshope this helps anotherthing to be aware of leave that top open too long and you might end up with juice leaking out of the airflow holes after the coil floods

scoobasteve

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi All!,
Problem solved!

So I put in a new coil, T8, I primed it and let it sit prior to installing it for about 20 min while I was skyping, then installed it and filled 80 % to allow for some vacuum effect. I started at 30 W and upped it in increments of 5w and stopped when I got to 55-60 when it got too hot. I used the max VG juice I got from New Zealand, also I fluffed the cotton and pinned an extra hole in the windows.

I also filled it with the air flow shut, as I solved a previous problem with leakage, I then sucked on it a few times to create a vacuum, then slightly opened the air flow again, sucked a few times. I then fired it up at 30W then as I said proceeded to ramp it up and the on 50 Watts something happened.....

I got a huge mouthful of vapor with flavor and intensity like ive never had before and felt like ive finally experienced what vaping is supposed to be like, it's like I actually had a mouth full of blueberry short cake, I could taste the hit of crust and vanilla, almost smooth like ice cream.

So then I decided to add a drop of some caramel I got from another shop it was 60/40 as apposed to max VG like the current juice. So even with a drop I took a hit and FUCK!! it was the juice, it tainted my whole tank and i had to empty and clean it again. I remember it was the juice that tasted so fucked up the first time, it had gunked up my previous coil and it's so un bearable I had to go brush my teeth

So I have figured out the problem, the type of juice, limited air flow, temp changes of the juice (because here in Alice Springs the middle of Australia at the moment, it ranges from -3 to 23 during the day and it makes the juice flow different)
I have also started doing a pull before I hit the fire button, just a short quick one before I have a hit)

So now im vaping at 50-55 watts and im actually vaping allot less and not sucking on it so frequently as I think im getting a proper nicotine hit and full flavor hit.

I have also noticed that a small difference in wattage brings out different flavor profiles of the liquid.

Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions, I love vaping and its turned into a hobby now for sure

big thanks!

scoobasteve

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi again,

So here is my 3D printed squonker I'm in the process of ordering! can't wait to try my hand at coil building!

thanks all

18697973_10211737747030408_6590469766211834192_n.jpg

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi again,

So here is my 3D printed squonker I'm in the process of ordering! can't wait to try my hand at coil building!

thanks all

18697973_10211737747030408_6590469766211834192_n.jpg

Just make sure you understand EVERYTHING about Ohm's Law and everything related to power first, and understand how to build coils correctly for it. It can be dangerous otherwise.

scoobasteve

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just make sure you understand EVERYTHING about Ohm's Law and everything related to power first, and understand how to build coils correctly for it. It can be dangerous otherwise.

Hey mate,
I have been researching, reading and watching alot of vids on ohms law and safety working with mech mods. I have also been taking notes to insure I absolutely understand it before I even order, as I have come to understand it's important to select the right rda or rta etc.

Thanks for the heads up mate, if you have any other tips or links I can read please share

Thank you

VU Sponsors