Become a Patron!

Bad idea to use a TC coil in wattage mode?

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm still a relative newb, so I'm just asking.

I don't want to use the kanthal coils for my tank because they're designed poorly, and don't provide good airflow. The Ni and Ti coils have extra air holes carved out, and the airflow is excellent with them.

That said, sometimes I like the wattage experience, sometimes i like the TC experience. But when you use a TC coil in wattage mode, you're essentially sub-ohm vaping, at 0.4 for Ti and 0.2 for Ni.

I run 15-20 watts when using them in wattage mode. Can this damage these Ni200 or Ti200 coils? From personal experience, I might be burning them out quicker than their expected lifespan of 2 weeks or so.

PS: I have a Triton coming in the mail, so that'll ultimately solve my problem. But I was just curious if TC coils are truly dual use, or not.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ni200 and Titanium are designed for temperature control so the coils do not get too hot. With Titanium, you need to be especially careful because the metal can ignite and burn like magnesium if it goes past it's flashpoint, which would really ruin your day, atomizer, and possibly the mod. To be safe, use the Ti and Ni200 in temp control mode only. TC coils are not dual use.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would imagine between 550-700 degrees. It won't cause ion shedding at those temps.

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay, lesson learned. Probably wound up burning out a coil or two. NBD, I will await my Triton and then sub-ohm away :).

I vape in temp mode somewhere around 450F, depending on the juice and my mood. But I do like Nickel coils better, as I personally sense a better flavor from them...

Thanks.

VU Sponsors