Become a Patron!

Battery Charging HELP

We have always used this charging set up (wall charger) for our 50W stick mods, but now have 200 watt box mods and would like to know if this is safe safe to continue? I bought a 4 battery charger but this is just so much easier than removing the batteries every time we want to charge them. Thanks for your input!vape-charger-cable.jpg

Thanks for the reply, Matt! I have a VooPoo Drag and the Smoant Charon 218. They both have the usb ports and it's so easy to plug them in. For the past two years I've been using the Aspire K4 and the Aspire Maxx, with the Cleito tanks. Both of these are "built in battery" mods so I always used the wall charger w/usb cord. When I bought the Drag and Charon, I also purchased a 4 battery charger, but it's less convenient to have to take the batteries out to charge them. I'd like to continue using the wall charger but wasn't sure if it was safe to use with the higher wattage mods.

Attachments

• Mods-1.jpg
    Mods-1.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 4

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
As well as the mod you bought ^^ What’s it say on that sticker there show that pic please

You should never use a wall adaptor that has a lower amperage rating the the mod you are trying to charge needs to draw ...doing so is a fire hazard

If the adaptor has a higher voltage rating than the mods rating you could damage the mod

It is better to use a dedicated external charger

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Welcome to VU Birdlady. Not all mods offer balanced charging. Even though some of my mods do have balanced charging I still only use an external charger. It is safer and better for both mod and battery in the long run. How many batteries did you order? I would recommend 2 married pairs for each mod.

Thanks so much KingPin! I'm SO glad I asked. I just "assumed" since a usb cord was included in the mod boxes, that it would be safe. But I never considered the voltage input and output of the adapter!!! Will definitely be using the external charger from now on :)

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok both mods are designed to be safe using the usb to charge
heres the skinny of it all
way back...most of these charging boards in a mod sucked. nowadays they are much better
but heres the things you need to pay attention to
you need to make sure teh cable is good
and that the wall wart(plug) matches your device. look at the manual and find the charging volts. your wall wart should match that and never exceed it. the amps or milliamps should be at least the same but the wall wart can be higher. so in the case of the charon its 5v/1a so the wall wart must provide 5vs not 9 and at least 1000mah(1A) it can provide 2000mah or whatever but has to be at least 1A (1000mah)

now the next thing is never leave a battery charging unattended regardless of using a mod or an external, shit happens. my external charger melted the surge protector one day, because I put a battery in backwards and its reverse polarity protection failed (thanks nitecore)

next. and here is why i recommend external charging regularly and to use usb as needed like when you dont have a spare set of batteries,
what if something goes wrong. i just gave an example of something that no one else I have told the story to has heard of happening, but it happened, and it should not have happened PERIOD. so when charging batteries shit can go wrong even after it not going wrong 4000 times before.
so if shit happens while charging the batteries in the mod, you got a higher chance that you damage the mod as well as the batteries. so now you have to replace the batteries and the mod. in my case, i just needed a new charger, and I could use usb charging to get me through till it arrived

next issue with usb charging in the mod, those usb ports are finiky at times, they are often prone to breaking easily. so if you dont have an external charger and you break your usb, well your fucked.

now im not saying any of this bad stuff will happen to you, but it happens, and it happens at the worse times.

so because of all this i recommend using an external charger, have 2 sets of batteries for each mod

get good batteries
sony,samsung,lg
and a good charger
xtar, nitecore, efest, hohmtech

get them from a reliable source, illum.com liiowholesale,com(there are others, but that's off the top of my head).because there are fakes out there

but your mod should not just blow up because you are charging it with the usb, BUT if something goes wrong, you use the wrong wall wart, you can cause damage to the batteries and/or mod and worse case scenario, yes it could go boom

HBVapeShop

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
so when charging batteries shit can go wrong even after it not going wrong 4000 times before.
so if shit happens while charging the batteries in the mod, you got a higher chance that you damage the mod as well as the batteries. so now you have to replace the batteries and the mod. in my case, i just needed a new charger, and I could use usb charging to get me through till it arrived

Murphy's Law always applies, especially in Vaping.

next issue with usb charging in the mod, those usb ports are finiky at times, they are often prone to breaking easily. so if you dont have an external charger and you break your usb, well your fucked.

Cant tell you how many times this happens.

As a company, we explain the trade-off to people when they purchase mods and are iffy about chargers. You can charge through the USB port, but it's never recommended by us. Either something will happen to the board, or the port falls out or shorts. Pay the $10-$25 for a charger (depending on how many batteries you need to charge) and save yourself the more-than-likely-to-happen damage to your mod.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
If you still need to use a wall adaptor maybe look into an adaptive one like this one

http://www.xtar.cc/products_detail/&productId=61.html

There are other well known brands out there just using this as an example but best to purchase from reputable company (sadly there are fakes out there)

I have a couple of external chargers that also have usb outputs which I use rather than a phone plug as the onboard chip does a similar thing to the above product handy for internal battery mods where you can’t remove the batteries :) get the best one of both worlds that way

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Also sorry Birdlady where are my manners welcome to the Underground :vino:

OMG, Thank you all SO much for taking the time to explain this to me! I've read and reread all the posts, and will probably read it again to make sure it all sinks in! There is so much to learn and just when I was feeling totally overwhelmed....I found VU! Ya'll are the greatest :inlove:I appreciate you!

VU Sponsors