Become a Patron!

Battery life question

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Is there any difference in battery life running a 2 battery mod VV series at 3.7V vs running 2 batteries parallel at 3.7?

I have a Wismec Noisy Cricket II-25 and never use parallel. Some of my builds would run fine in parallel and I wonder if I would get better battery life running the mod parallel.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Series batteries would be 7.4volts nominal...... I believe though at equal wattages the life should be about the same.......

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
It's regulated series with a potentiometer. I turn it way down from it's maximum voltage.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Think I found my answer:

The equation is Wh = mAh × V / 1000

In series

Wh = 2000mah x 8.4/1000. = 16.8 Wh

In parallel

Wh = 4000mah x 4.2/1000 = 16.8 Wh

Both mods deliver the same watt hour. One does it at double voltage and half the mah, the other does it at half voltage with double the mah, but the end result is the same watt hours on both mods.

There is a difference on how the power is delivered, but there is ZERO difference on actual battery life.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
But now with this info I have another question... Why do I keep seeing 4.2 volts referenced when all my batteries and my Vape Tool Pro app always reference 3.7 volts?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
4.2volts is full charged voltage... batteries are rate at nominal voltage...... basically a mid charge value approx half way between full charge and diss charge.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Would three Samsung INR18650-35E 3500mAh cells work well in a triple battery regulated mod up to 130 watts? What about 3 LG MJ1s?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
MAH is not what you should worry about.. you first want batteties rated to between 20 and 30 amp CDR....... I have never heard of those batteries so would NOT advise about them..

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I was just thinking that since the 3 batteries would run in series that I could get away with slightly lower amperage per battery in return for higher capacity.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was just thinking that since the 3 batteries would run in series that I could get away with slightly lower amperage per battery in return for higher capacity.

People have survived skydiving without a parachute also.........

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I didn't mean crazy low amperage. Like rated for 12 continuous and 20 pulse.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't mean crazy low amperage. Like rated for 12 continuous and 20 pulse.

Kinda depends on your mod and how much power it draws to generate output....... Me I might use those batteries, probably not though........ BUT I vape at less than 10amps at the coil and rarely even over 30watts. I still would prefer batteries rated much higher than I ever plan to vape....i use 20 amp rated minimum 18650. I do run lower CDRs in my mech in 18350 and 18500 modes, but builds are less than 5amps when I do.. Because I might just want to try a higher output build. And I dont like having to worry about safety.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Interesting. Sounds like the Sony VTC5A is the best choice.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Need some advice.

I ordered and received 3 Sony VTC5A batteries.

I have 11 old (1-4 years) 18650 batteries, all rewrapped due to having had damaged the original casing on some and matching the wrapping on the others.

I have 1 LGHE4 that I received as part of a purchase from a forum member that looks very new.

From what I can tell, some of my older batteries are functioning poorly. I would like to remove the poor performers from my collection (or keep them as emergency backups).

My Joyetech Cuboid 200 shows the battery life of each individual battery (see pic). All 3 batteries were at 100% when I installed them.

My questions are:

Should I trust the mod to accurately indicate the remaining battery life of each individual battery?

If so, should I remove the poorer performing batteries from circulation?

Should I then re-pair the remaining batteries in sets where the batteries have similar drain rates?
3ebc25cde6a8fbd4a27a5025e4da79be.jpg

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
And should I keep the newer LGHE4 unpaired and just use it in single 18650 devices?

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
When I replaced the lowest battery with a full battery, the mod accurately showed the new battery as full and the other 2 the same as it had before I did the switch, so it seems that the mod is reading them correctly.

But is the mod draining all 3 batteries evenly?

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's best to get rid of old batts that have a significant performance drop. They aren't meant to last forever.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
It's best to get rid of old batts that have a significant performance drop. They aren't meant to last forever.
Right but I don't know which are older than which since I have 11 rewrapped batteries.

The battery use in my Cuboid 200 seems to drain the left battery more than the middle and the middle more than the right. The first 3 I figured it was just based on battery quality but I put 3 more batteries in and used it a bit and the left battery has dropped the most again.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Right but I don't know which are older than which since I have 11 rewrapped batteries.

The battery use in my Cuboid 200 seems to drain the left battery more than the middle and the middle more than the right. The first 3 I figured it was just based on battery quality but I put 3 more batteries in and used it a bit and the left battery has dropped the most again.

Ah, ok. Now I get it. Yeah some series mods tend to pull harder off one end. That's why we rotate the batts. I guess you need a charger with a discharge feature, or some kind of batt tester meter thingamajig.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Or charge each batt to 100%, put each one in a single batt mod, and count puffs. Write down the # of puffs for each batt, and eliminate the poorer performers. Might take minute, but since you're gonna be vaping anyway...

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
first off you should never install 3 batteries in a mod like you did. and use it. thats just asking to put unneeded drain on them. All your batteries should be equally charged when installed
Now if you were just doing that to check their charge thats fine
but most mods even most low end battery chargers are not super accurate as to what they battery voltage really is

since you are running regulated mods and have a device that measures all 3 batteries i would fully charge 3 and use them. if one or 2 is depeleting a lot faster then teh rest time to put it away. either recycle it or save it for a single battery mod or for a 18650 flashlight. If all 3 are depleting about the same I would use them

However if you get yourself a nice charger that can cycle the battery (fully drain it and recharge it and give you information then you would want to do that to determine if some of your batteries are ready to be recycled

a 18650 normally gets about 300 full cycles meaning 300 times it goes from 4.2 to about 3v. then it starts loosing perfromance unless your doing damage to the internal chemistry then it could be significantly less. I am still using the 1st set of batteries I bought about 4 years ago and they work as well as a new set I just bought last month

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I put the three in fully charged. After use the left dropped fastest then middle then right. My concern is whether it's due to the batteries being relatively stronger/weaker or whether the mod is draining inconsistently.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
now thats a damn good question I dont have the mod so i cant speak on it. but if its in series the batteries should drain somewhat equally. one will always drain a little faster then the others. thats not the mod or a sign of a bad battery just that every single battery is different and some will discharge faster then others but only very very slightly. But what you showed is not normal imho

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I'm gonna rotate mid test on this next one and see if it changes things

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Next 3. Unfortunately the puff counter doesn't reset on a fresh install.
ce9ca247fe9451438f5bd9a7bcecdffd.jpg

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Figure I ditch the first two and keep these 3 and keep going. I could test these against the good one from before but that's a lot of work I think I'm gonna just get rid of obvious underperformers.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
tbh
if im reading that photo correctly
2 are even and one is maybe a bar higher
that doesnt seem unnormal to me
besides the mod is not that accurate'even n my charger
it will say a battery at 3.2v is 0 bars and a battery at 3.4v is 0 bars .2 volts is a good amount imho
my charger can also show full bars starting at 4.1v all teh way to 4.2v

tthese things are not super super accurate

now if your photo showed 2 batteries at 1 bar while the 3rd was still wher eit is then i would be concerned

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Nah I was referring to a picture before that one

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Got to post #15. The first two on that one I'm ditching. The three batteries from post #26 I'm keeping.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I agree that on the second pic, the three are similar enough to suggest equal strength.

VU Sponsors