Become a Patron!

Beginner rda for use with mvp or istick

Not looking to sub ohm or anything like just want to get a simple to build rba/rda that will work on mvp or istick. Just want to try dripping to see if it's my thing or not. I have all the equipment and materials to do this and have watched many, many videos. Think I can do this safely. What rba/rda would you recommend? Don't want a really expensive one...a clone will do. Suggestions are appreciated. Been vaping about 5 months breaking a 49 year habit to the analogs. Love this stuff!

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not looking to sub ohm or anything like just want to get a simple to build rba/rda that will work on mvp or istick. Just want to try dripping to see if it's my thing or not. I have all the equipment and materials to do this and have watched many, many videos. Think I can do this safely. What rba/rda would you recommend? Don't want a really expensive one...a clone will do. Suggestions are appreciated. Been vaping about 5 months breaking a 49 year habit to the analogs. Love this stuff!
Igo L its very basic and really cheap so if you don't like it you only drop like ten bucks.
http://www.fasttech.com/product/1400500-igo-l-rebuildable-stainless-steel-dripping
Sent from my XT1030

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I suggest the Smok Dripper RDA: it's an ultra-simple, sub-$10 RDA that performs very very well - so well in fact that you may never want another RDA. It really is that good.

1B61EF26BE40BAD2A7C096C3B02A2F964AF25FE5.jpg

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The old rda from smok that most of us know as an 'octopus' is about as simple as it get. Comes prebuilt with a single coil at 1.7 or so. Set up right they can actually hold their own fairly Well.
With a little creativity you might be able to get duals in there.
Aside from it and the others mentioned a fairly decent dripper can be had for 25-30$.
I always tell customers to get the better quality equipment to start out. Owing to better quality equipment tends to = better quality experience

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The old rda from smok that most of us know as an 'octopus' is about as simple as it get.

The Smok Dripper RDA is an Octopus with a bell that includes the drip tip - meaning the base, the posts, screws and O-rings are completely identical and interchangeable. The Octopus is slightly more expensive, and ends up a tad taller with even the shortest drip tip though. I find the smooth, simpler Dripper RDA bell classier than the Octopus' too.

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The Smok Dripper RDA is an Octopus with a bell that includes the drip tip - meaning the base, the posts, screws and O-rings are completely identical and interchangeable. The Octopus is slightly more expensive, and ends up a tad taller with even the shortest drip tip though. I find the smooth, simpler Dripper RDA bell classier than the Octopus' too.
I had never use one of the bell looking ones. I always heard them referred to as a 'drunker' just because it kinda resembles a liquer bottle.
How is the air flow on that version?
I always hated how on the octopus version the air hole on the shell(for lack of a better word) had to be lined up with the air hole on the base. Other wise you get a seriously tight draw. But if you get it just right that thing actually rocks.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always hated how on the octopus version the air hole on the shell(for lack of a better word) had to be lined up with the air hole on the base. Other wise you get a seriously tight draw. But if you get it just right that thing actually rocks.

I'm not sure I get what you mean. There's only one airhole on the side of the bell. Normally you line it up in front of the coil. If you don't, you get less flavor. Also, depending on how you wick the atty, you might end up blocking the hole - typically, if your wick goes around the deck. However, in my experience, the alignment of the airhole is far from critical: with my atties, I have +/-30 degrees of leeway.

The airholes on the Octopus and on the Dripper RDA are strictly identical. It's just the shape and decorations (or lack thereof) of the bell that change.

Also, at that price, you can enlarge the hole all you want: if you mess it up, just buy another atty :)

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm not sure I get what you mean. There's only one airhole on the side of the bell. Normally you line it up in front of the coil. If you don't, you get less flavor. Also, depending on how you wick the atty, you might end up blocking the hole - typically, if your wick goes around the deck. However, in my experience, the alignment of the airhole is far from critical: with my atties, I have +/-30 degrees of leeway.

The airholes on the Octopus and on the Dripper RDA are strictly identical. It's just the shape and decorations (or lack thereof) of the bell that change.

Also, at that price, you can enlarge the hole all you want: if you mess it up, just buy another atty :)
thats total bullshit !!
a new vaper, hell, any vaper, shouldnt settle for a device thats cheap and wont perform without a trip to the shed for modification..,
stop recommending garbage to new vapers, then tell them to mod it or toss it, because its cheap...
make solid recommendations of devices that perform out of the box, wont rust, pit, oxidize, in a week...

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Ellipsis: Well, I'm a dripper - that's all I do all day long, drip drip drip - and I use the Dripper RDA (or Octopus) unmodified on 3 of my mods, to my great satisfaction. So do many others. And while it's true the nickel plating tends to strip off and show the bare brass here and there over time, all my Dripper RDAs are still going strong after months of heavy use.

So maybe, just maybe, your experience isn't typical? :)

EDIT: Also, the Dripper RDA / Octopus' bell is stainless steel. Only the base is plated brass.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
ive purchased plenty of drippers in my short time...
from the eshots phoenix to the veritas...
theres garbage out there and there are stellar performers...
telling a vaper to purchase something for cheap, modify it if they need to, throw it away if you mess it up, 'cause its cheap...
is just flat out wrong

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

This is what i know as the 'octopus'. They tend to be fairly cheap, 10$ or so.
You can see the air hole on the shell... If you look directly under the coil theres a little stem sticking up. The other end of that stem exits the side of the base right between the two orings. The two holes have to be lined up to get clean air flow; it gets more restrictive the more off they are.image.jpg

danjc

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Definatly go with IGO-L super easy great flavour it was my first and I still use it now, I also like The origen v2 also easy to build on optional air holes and optional single or dual nice deep juice well.
Good to hear you gave up the smoking habit and found a hobby:D.

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ah okay, my bad then. I was talking about this one:

DB441F8CE3F7CDD63D3CC80715F09E55F13E4B5A.jpg

Not the same atties then :)

They certainly look about the same, just the ones we have at the store have that oddass airflow.

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
just for kicks and giggles i pulled out an octopus today, ran it off a spinnerII. it was a little weird after using a stilare and doge.way tighter a draw than i had gotten used to

VU Sponsors