Become a Patron!

best battery charger

Timmy

Member For 4 Years
So we're getting more batteries and I'm wanting to get a 4 bay charger. We have the intellicharger i2 right now. Whats the best 4 bay one to get?

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So we're getting more batteries and I'm wanting to get a 4 bay charger. We have the intellicharger i2 right now. Whats the best 4 bay one to get?
I got an Efest Luc 4 bay charger and couldn't be happier. It charges most all sized batteries and can charge at 0.5, 1.0, or 2.0 amps!

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have been quite happy with the LUC V4 as well. Never gets so much as warm even loaded up and will supply full voltage no matter how many bays are in use.

-=Rob=-

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I haven't used the Nitecore, but I have seen posts saying they get pretty hot. My Efest LUC V4 doesn't even get warm. It's an awesome charger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've been looking into this as well... My old version two bay nitecore has one bay that thinks everything is charged fully, and I need to get something new before it craps out. The working bay is charging everything to 4.19-4.2, so for now it's good, but a replacement is in the near future. I'm thinking an efest luc sounds to be the best, but the newer nitecores do look nice.

I gotta stop putting this off before I'm unable to charge, at least I'll have my mvp to use until I get a new one if it craps out, but I could be literally playing with fire if I don't get one ASAP. I've been extra diligent about not leaving batts unattended, and using my multimeter obsessively as well.

What is the cheapest source of a luc? I'm fine with two bays, but if four isn't much more I'll probably get that.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Amazon has the 2 bay for $29 free shipping with $30 order and 4 bay for $39 free shipping. Othe rthen that do a google search and see if any online venders have them on sale

-=Rob=-

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
TBC, 101vape.com has had the Efest LUC V4 on sale for $28.99. I've bought from them, great service and fast shipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks all! Now, the digicharger or the luc? Basically the same price. Got a decision to make...

Anyone have experience with both?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I see the Nitecore only does Output current: 375mA x 4 when all are in use, the LUC V4 will do 500mA x 4 or 1amp x 4 or 2amp x 2. So if you want to use all the bays...

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I see the Nitecore only does Output current: 375mA x 4 when all are in use, the LUC V4 will do 500mA x 4 or 1amp x 4 or 2amp x 2. So if you want to use all the bays...
Yeah, I was seeing the specs seemed to be a bit better for the luc. 101vape has em cheap, and I've got one in my cart. It wasn't gonna ship by the time I ordered, so I figured I'd sleep on it and also get some more input here, then order today probably. The digicharger does seem to have quite a few fans, though spec wise, it seems the luc is the winner. Decisions decisions... I'm not good at them.

ToxicSludge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've had my xtar 2 bay for a couple of years now and it doesn't even break a sweat when charging two 18650's at 1 amp each.If by chance it craps out on me,I'll buy another xtar.Jmho and worth what ya paid to read it ;)

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've had my xtar 2 bay for a couple of years now and it doesn't even break a sweat when charging two 18650's at 1 amp each.If by chance it craps out on me,I'll buy another xtar.Jmho and worth what ya paid to read it ;)
I'll look into that one as well, I've still put off ordering one. I have a 20% off at a B&M that I need to use, so I need to call them and see what they stock, and pricing. If I can get it for a comparable price, whichever one I choose, I'll go there. I like instant gratification, but not if it's gonna cost more. As I said, I'm damn indecisive, but it need to make up my mind before it craps out, and I'm stuck with my mvp. Wouldn't be the end of the world, but I need my mechs. :)

Thanks for the input everybody!

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am ordering this soon, looks like a really nice charger and it measures internal resistance. I would guess they make a 4 bay charger, 2 is enough for me so I haven't searched for a 4 bay.
LiitoKala Engineer Lii-260

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/31040

DSC_4986.jpg

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have to admit the new Nitecore does look nice I am a fan of the Xstar II but I have two of them and other chargers like the LUC and the new Nitecore so they all do the job just dont let your cells get too low it lowers the life

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have to admit the new Nitecore does look nice I am a fan of the Xstar II but I have two of them and other chargers like the LUC and the new Nitecore so they all do the job just dont let your cells get too low it lowers the life
Raises hand for just swapping a battery that was at 4.1. If I'm at home near a charger, they never go below 3.9, and rarely ever below 3.8. I pull em immediately and test them after, let them sit upright for at least an hour, and test again prior to use. I'm kinda OCD, but want to be safe, and want them to last long.

Good input since you've used em all, I finally have the money, just have to make my damn mind up and pull the trigger.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah, I have three VTC5s that are in my primary rotation, and a purple 35 efest and red 2000 mah efest for backups. Pretty much only use the Sony's. I still figure if I can charge it why not, a partial charge extends the life of the battery, so it's a no brainier for me if I'm near a charger.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I have three VTC5s that are in my primary rotation, and a purple 35 efest and red 2000 mah efest for backups. Pretty much only use the Sony's. I still figure if I can charge it why not, a partial charge extends the life of the battery, so it's a no brainier for me if I'm near a charger.
Yes big time and lower MAH only 4 in rotation hahaha I have way to many mods dude I have right now 12 out and another 10 or so in my battery cases at storage level :)

desk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
anyone have input on comparing the nitecore d4 with the 4bay efest luc?

I've got both the LUC and the Nitecore. The Nitecore is only a backup as it's maximum output is 750mA per bay and that's when charging only 2 batteries and 375mA with 4. The LUC stays much cooler and really ouputs a full Amp on each bay even with 4 batteries.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Efest LUC V4 is ordered. Should arrive Friday. Yay, I made up my mind... :). Thanks for all the input everyone"

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Efest LUC V4 is ordered. Should arrive Friday. Yay, I made up my mind... :). Thanks for all the input everyone"
Forget Friday. It just finished charging it's first battery, was shipped within hours of payment and arrived in 2 days. It's nice!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Me, I am waiting.

I need something for my family Xmas list and if I don't give them any ideas I will most likely get................

Oh My Dear God, I don't even want to think about what I will end up with if I don't name a charger before hand!

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Me, I am waiting.

I need something for my family Xmas list and if I don't give them any ideas I will most likely get................

Oh My Dear God, I don't even want to think about what I will end up with if I don't name a charger before hand!
Well I spoke too soon. The bays are getting inconsistent readings and charging a bit differently. I dropped it to .5 amps and that seems to be working, but the jury's out... Gonna keep an eye on it. Maybe 1 amp is too much to push to these cells?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Me, I want the capability of a full 1.0 amp on each channel. Except when I am charging 18350s where I prefer 0.25 amps.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Me, I want the capability of a full 1.0 amp on each channel. Except when I am charging 18350s where I prefer 0.25 amps.
The luc can do .5, or 1 amp on 4 bays, or 2 amps on 2 bays simultaneously, selectable by a button.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've only used the 1 amp setting a handfull of times. Four Sony's at 1 amp were solid.. Unless I'm in a rush I tend to use .5.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So every third battery insert or so, the screen will flash every few seconds, and occasionally will flash charge current going to empty bay 2. Unplugging resolves this, but I'm not comfortable. I messaged the seller for an exchange, and this is his response.

Hello,

I actually test out each of these chargers myself before I ship them out to avoid any problems, but before you send it back, let's make sure you are using these chargers properly.

You are putting the batteries into the charger first (while unplugged), and then plugging it into the wall right?

If you are not familiar with chargers, that is the way it is supposed to be operated, not plugged into the wall first, and then placing the batteries in one by one.

That is the actual true way of properly charging batteries on all chargers, is to put the batteries in while unplugged, then plug it into the wall.

If you still truly believe you have a defect, you can send it back, and I can ship you out a new one once I get yours back.

The reason we want to test whether you are properly using the charger because it is very money-consuming for shipping if you send yours back, and all the chargers have that affect (it may be a factory thing, and totally normal) after I send a new one out to you.

I just want to let you know that I buy these chargers directly from efest, so they are also checked once by the efest company before being shipped to me, and I check it again before I ship it out to my customers.

Shipping for this item is already about $6.00 if you use the same priority mail padded flat-rate shipping envelope (you may have to get it from your post office for the special shipping envelope I used to get the low flat rate of $5-$6.

Please let me know what you decide. If you ship it back, ship it back to the address I used:

This sounds like bullshit, correct? I wanna check, but I'm gonna ask for a refund, agreed?

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So every third battery insert or so, the screen will flash every few seconds, and occasionally will flash charge current going to empty bay 2. Unplugging resolves this, but I'm not comfortable. I messaged the seller for an exchange, and this is his response.

Hello,

I actually test out each of these chargers myself before I ship them out to avoid any problems, but before you send it back, let's make sure you are using these chargers properly.

You are putting the batteries into the charger first (while unplugged), and then plugging it into the wall right?

If you are not familiar with chargers, that is the way it is supposed to be operated, not plugged into the wall first, and then placing the batteries in one by one.

That is the actual true way of properly charging batteries on all chargers, is to put the batteries in while unplugged, then plug it into the wall.

If you still truly believe you have a defect, you can send it back, and I can ship you out a new one once I get yours back.

The reason we want to test whether you are properly using the charger because it is very money-consuming for shipping if you send yours back, and all the chargers have that affect (it may be a factory thing, and totally normal) after I send a new one out to you.

I just want to let you know that I buy these chargers directly from efest, so they are also checked once by the efest company before being shipped to me, and I check it again before I ship it out to my customers.

Shipping for this item is already about $6.00 if you use the same priority mail padded flat-rate shipping envelope (you may have to get it from your post office for the special shipping envelope I used to get the low flat rate of $5-$6.

Please let me know what you decide. If you ship it back, ship it back to the address I used:

This sounds like bullshit, correct? I wanna check, but I'm gonna ask for a refund, agreed?
Mine does not act as you describe. Could be a bad charger...you sure your batteries are okay?

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Mine does not act as you describe. Could be a bad charger...you sure your batteries are okay?
Yeah, I check with a multimeter before and after, and it happens only after I've put batteries in a few times. It is charging them perfectly. Also, I'm correct in that inserting batteries prior to plugging in the charger is not proper, or not essential, correct? The flashing will stop once unplugged and re plugged but it sounds sketchy, and the manual even indicates to plug the charger in and it will flash test mode, and then enter standby. He says all chargers should have batteries inserted prior to plugging in, bullshit, no?

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I check with a multimeter before and after, and it happens only after I've put batteries in a few times. It is charging them perfectly. Also, I'm correct in that inserting batteries prior to plugging in the charger is not proper, or not essential, correct? The flashing will stop once unplugged and re plugged but it sounds sketchy, and the manual even indicates to plug the charger in and it will flash test mode, and then enter standby. He says all chargers should have batteries inserted prior to plugging in, bullshit, no?
I always power up the charger first, set to 1 amp, then load my batteries one at a time. Never knew it mattered if you loaded the batts before powering on the charger...does it state so in the manual?

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
No, the manual seems to indicate the opposite. It says you plug in and it tests, then display .5 and is in standby. I'm gonna eat the shipping and ask for a refund. This guy just doesn't want to deal with the hassle, and I know that not all chargers operate that way. It's bs I think.

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No, the manual seems to indicate the opposite. It says you plug in and it tests, then display .5 and is in standby. I'm gonna eat the shipping and ask for a refund. This guy just doesn't want to deal with the hassle, and I know that not all chargers operate that way. It's bs I think.
Yeah, sounds like it. Haven't had a single issue with mine and have had it for months and months.

I do recall a while back reading about issues with certain older revisions of the LUC V4 but don't remember the details. Wonder if you have one from an old batch. You could Google around about it but pretty sure it was on ECF somewhere, but sorry don't remember the details.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The battery gods are pissed at me today... Damn. On top of the new charger issues, the second bay in my i2 which was the last working one crapped out on me as well. I just went to a local shop I like and got a nitecore i4 V2, not the 2014 unfortunately, but it was only 25.95, which is reasonable for local. Kinda had no choice, and it doesn't seem that the 2014 has any great improvements. I'm scared to speak too soon again, but it fucking works! Yay lol. Also, it's simple and familiar, and since I'm an obsessive multimeter user, I really don't need fancy digital displays. I check them myself anyway. Sometimes familiar and simple is good.

On a positive note, the seller is agreeing to refund me, even the shipping which is not his policy, so that's pretty nice. He's still a bonehead telling me that name brand batteries like my Sony's have "built-in anti-explosion protection and short-circuit protection." Yes... That's a verbatim quote. Not worth my time to worry about an idiot, he's refunding my money once he receives it, I have a charger that works, and all is well.

I am hung up on the "built-in anti-explosion protection and short-circuit protection" statement a bit. His messages keep trying to tell me how long he's been vaping and using chargers essentially expressing himself as an expert...couldn't be further from the truth. Gonna mail it out in the morning, and hopefully all goes smooth from then on.

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The battery gods are pissed at me today... Damn. On top of the new charger issues, the second bay in my i2 which was the last working one crapped out on me as well. I just went to a local shop I like and got a nitecore i4 V2, not the 2014 unfortunately, but it was only 25.95, which is reasonable for local. Kinda had no choice, and it doesn't seem that the 2014 has any great improvements. I'm scared to speak too soon again, but it fucking works! Yay lol. Also, it's simple and familiar, and since I'm an obsessive multimeter user, I really don't need fancy digital displays. I check them myself anyway. Sometimes familiar and simple is good.

On a positive note, the seller is agreeing to refund me, even the shipping which is not his policy, so that's pretty nice. He's still a bonehead telling me that name brand batteries like my Sony's have "built-in anti-explosion protection and short-circuit protection." Yes... That's a verbatim quote. Not worth my time to worry about an idiot, he's refunding my money once he receives it, I have a charger that works, and all is well.

I am hung up on the "built-in anti-explosion protection and short-circuit protection" statement a bit. His messages keep trying to tell me how long he's been vaping and using chargers essentially expressing himself as an expert...couldn't be further from the truth. Gonna mail it out in the morning, and hopefully all goes smooth from then on.
LOL, glad you got your charger thing straightened out! Anti-explosion, huh. And short circuit protection? Jeez!

They do have a safer chemistry, but will short just the same if ya do stoopid stuff with them.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
LOL, glad you got your charger thing straightened out! Anti-explosion, huh. And short circuit protection? Jeez!

They do have a safer chemistry, but will short just the same if ya do stoopid stuff with them.
Yeah... Made me lol, except he's giving that advice to people who don't know better I'm sure. Oh well... The i4 has done short cycles on all my vtc5's and I'm pleased. It's quicker than my old v1 i2 for sure, and doesn't get warm really, which is good. I'm happy, and once my money's back, I'll be happier.

I ordered a pair of LG HE2's from a trusted vendor I've gotten vtc5's from as well. I'm done with the sony search, it's way more battery than I need, even the HE2's are, and a pair for 16.98 shipped is nice. Done business with this guy before, so I should be set now for a bit.

@havok333 thanks for all your input today man... It truly was a help. Frustrating day, but as of late, this was nothing compared to other shit going on. Most importantly it should be resolved, and I have you guys for the advice I needed.

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah... Made me lol, except he's giving that advice to people who don't know better I'm sure. Oh well... The i4 has done short cycles on all my vtc5's and I'm pleased. It's quicker than my old v1 i2 for sure, and doesn't get warm really, which is good. I'm happy, and once my money's back, I'll be happier.

I ordered a pair of LG HE2's from a trusted vendor I've gotten vtc5's from as well. I'm done with the sony search, it's way more battery than I need, even the HE2's are, and a pair for 16.98 shipped is nice. Done business with this guy before, so I should be set now for a bit.

@havok333 thanks for all your input today man... It truly was a help. Frustrating day, but as of late, this was nothing compared to other shit going on. Most importantly it should be resolved, and I have you guys for the advice I needed.
No problem at all.

About those LG batts, where you buying yours from at that price? I need more and also don't want to worry over searching for overpriced VTC5s. Those LGs look to be about the next best thing IMO.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yup, BS. Mine has never displayed the flashing behavior or readings on empty bays under any conditions. Definitely a bad one.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
No problem at all.

About those LG batts, where you buying yours from at that price? I need more and also don't want to worry over searching for overpriced VTC5s. Those LGs look to be about the next best thing IMO.
Go to the vendor Genuinecells on ebay. I was sent to him by a member here and got his last vtc5's about a month ago. They are legit' and he offers free shipping that made it from Florida to colorado in about two or three days.

I definitely trust him, I almost ordered two pair, but with free shipping I figured I'd get em' and try em' first. Should have gotten the LUC from him, but tried to save a few bucks... Dumb. I Will get more if they're as good as I read. It seems for someone like me who primarily, almost exclusively vapes kayfuns at 1.2 ohms, they actually might perform better than the Sony's. They have a smooth midrange before a dropoff as per tests I've seen. I've built to .3 once, and .6 a handful of times at best, so the 20 amp 35 pulse is more than enough for me. I got Sony's just to have the most headroom possible, but again, not worth it at this point for my needs. I will vouch for his Sony's, so I can't imagine the lgs would be bad, and he's very reasonable about taking care of you.

@Lefty I knew immediately it was fucked, and if you read his response, just one of many, he's a idiot. Especially the anti explosion and short circuit protection shit, I was already done, but that sealed the deal. I do give him credit for going against policy of his own and offering a shipping refund, however. That's about it, though. I knew that inserting batteries prior to plugging in was improper, and in fact, the shop I got my i4 from confirmed my thought that it could very well short your batteries. Oh well, I'm being taken care of. I won't order batts on ebay without someone to vouch, and now chargers are added to that list.

desk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, the ideal amperage for charging 18650s is between 835-875mA so the notion of 500mA is ultimately detrimental to the cells.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, the ideal amperage for charging 18650s is between 835-875mA so the notion of 500mA is ultimately detrimental to the cells.
What charger uses this ideal amperage?

VU Sponsors