Best coils for Smok AL85

Discussion in 'All Tanks / Factory Coils' started by wynnmom903, Aug 14, 2017.

1. wynnmom903

wynnmom903 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys! Sorry if this is not the right place to ask this question. My son bought me the Smok AL85 on August 8th. I was a 1 1/2 - 2 packs a day smoker and decided it was time to quit! That being said, I am a chain vaper for sure! I have taken 4,249 puffs since then, and have had to replace my coils quite frequently. I used the coils that came with the kit. 0.4. I vape at 55W(if that is what that means lol). I am only getting about 1,000 puffs before replacement. Is that common? Is there a coil that would last longer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

2. SkoldVape

SkoldVape Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I use exactly the same coil & get at least two weeks out of one at 55 watts.
    The Q2 is actually the only coil I use!
    It could be a bad batch of coils so I suggest you get a new one & always make sure to prime your coil with liquid. Few drops of liquid on any cotton you can see.
    If you don't prime a coil properly that can make it burn out quicker. I've made the same mistake a few times! Also I slowly break in the coil by starting at 20 watts an working my way up to my sweet spot

wynnmom903 likes this.
  3. wynnmom903

wynnmom903 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Ok! Thank you for replying! I have gone through at least 3 from different batches. My son thinks I am taking to many puffs. Are coils rated for a certain amount of puffs regardless of the watts? Sorry if it is a stupid question. I also make sure to prime it just like you said.

SkoldVape likes this.
  4. SkoldVape

Blog Posts:
    I doubt your taking too many puffs, I chain vape mine. Perhaps it could be your juice, certain liquids burn the coil out faster. Often sweet juices gunk up the coil & no I can't say coils are rated for a certain amount of puffs.

wynnmom903 likes this.
  5. wynnmom903

wynnmom903 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thank you so much again! I do use sweet juices lol! I appreciate your advice! Will keep on using the coil I have been using and see how it goes! Have a great day!

SkoldVape likes this.
  6. SkoldVape

Blog Posts:
    No problem & the same to you! Btw the T8 coils are good too.

wynnmom903 likes this.
  7. mikeyboy74

mikeyboy74 VU Donator Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Refill before the juice gets below where the cotton holes in the coil are exposed in the tank. Its a good tank but does have a few quirks, as they all do.

X4 and T6 coils can last awhile. X4 more like 45-50 watts and T6 around 67-70 watts. T8 is also good.

After priming, start low wattage and gradually work up. Letting tank sit a while with juice in new coil does help. As in 30 min. Wait a few seconds between puffs, for the coil to re saturate. You will see bubbles rise.

I think my coils last a long time because I alternate 2 setups, when its possible.

wynnmom903 and SkoldVape like this.
  8. SkoldVape

Blog Posts:
    I alternate myself but at one point was using just the alien an got two weeks & yeah you should always work your way up. It breaks in the coil. You don't need to let it sit for 30 mins though. 10 minutes is fine

wynnmom903 likes this.
  9. wynnmom903

wynnmom903 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Great advice! Thank you so much!!

10. wynnmom903

wynnmom903 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I think the "working my way up" is something I definitely need to start doing lol! Thanks again!!

SkoldVape likes this.
  11. gin gin

gin gin New Member

Blog Posts:
    Wondering if the V8 Baby-M2 is compatible with the SMOK AL85.

SkoldVape likes this.
  12. SkoldVape

Blog Posts:
    It works with any of the baby beast tanks on any mod but I find the X4 to be the best coil. It has more flavour than other coils and I can vape it at lower wattage.
    I vape my X4 at 35 watts. The T8 is good but shines at higher wattage

gin gin likes this.
  13. gin gin

gin gin New Member

Blog Posts:
    ty so much for the info.

SkoldVape likes this.
  14. SkoldVape

Blog Posts:
    No worries if I can help I will. If you want advice on anything else just message me. I've vaped since cigalikes so I like to think I'm an experienced vaper :)

15. Countrypami

Countrypami The Link Ninja Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Vendor Employee VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Live Host

Blog Posts:
    I use the Q2.

SkoldVape likes this.
  16. SkoldVape

Blog Posts:
    I didn't like the Q2 but I'm pretty sure I got a dodgy pack of coils as the flavour would be great for a day then just taste burnt & I wasn't vaping at the higher end of the wattage!

Countrypami likes this.
  17. SkoldVape

Blog Posts:
    I might give them another shot :)

Countrypami likes this.
  18. Tr0ll

Tr0ll New Member

Blog Posts:
    It is not. Well it is but it isn't.

The m2 is made for the smok stick to run at a constant 3.7 volts. It won't give it's peak performance on anything but a Smok Stick.

I used a pack on my Innokin and the coil barely gave me a hit until I was at 70 watts. If you vape at that wattage it'll work but it gave me half the flavor of an X4 at my normal 40 watts. I'd stay away from the m2. If you want the smok coil with the same opening the q2 is a really nice coil but doesn't last near as long as the x4.

All my juices are on the sweet side and with 70 or greater VG so I'm sure this also comes into play.

Oddly enough when I put my tank while it had an m2 on it back on my smok stick v8 it tasted great.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017 at 8:59 AM
  19. Tr0ll

Tr0ll New Member

Blog Posts:
    I had the same result. I'd get 3 days tops out of them and even that third day I'd be pushing it. I figured it was just me.

Got a single coil from a different vape shop and used some seriously restrained vaping. Same result. I don't think that single loosely wound coil, which is pretty thin wire too, likes a juice with a lot of sweetner in it. I took one apart aftwr using it and the cotton was barely even burnt if at all but the wire...looked like a bbq grill.

I started to two or three times a day shove a q tip down the chimney and wipe the coil off and I could stretch a q2 to 5 days before it tasted like ass.

SkoldVape likes this.
  20. SkoldVape

Blog Posts:
    I prefer rebuildables now :)

Tr0ll likes this.
  21. Tr0ll

Tr0ll New Member

Blog Posts:
    Over achiever. Hahaha. I'm too lazy for that.

I'm pre ordering myself the new Innokin tank anyway so I don't have to play coil roulette with Smok anymore.

SkoldVape likes this.
  22. SkoldVape

Blog Posts:
    Which tank you on about??

23. Tr0ll

Tr0ll New Member

Blog Posts:
    SkoldVape likes this.
  24. SkoldVape

Blog Posts:
  25. Tr0ll

Tr0ll New Member

Blog Posts:
    Eh I couldn't wait sadly. I had to buy a tank tonight. Tired of Smok's coils lasting a week or a day. I only had the one mod and tank and got caught out of the house with a bad coil and no back up.

I picked up a super tank mini and a sense blazer pro. Hopefully I'll be happy with one of these.