Become a Patron!

Best fit and finish dna mod ??

Looking at acquiring my first dna mod but I really haven't seen any with the same build quality as my sx mini q class. I understand the chips are different but I don't want it to feel cheap in my hand either. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Maybe a Boxer? Like with YiHi mods, it really comes down to what kind of $ you've got to spend and if you want a 75, 166 or a 250.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I only have the Think Vape Finder 167 and Lost Vape Triade DNA250.

The Finder still looks like new and I have had it longer. The Triade already has paint coming off the bottom.

I have the new Q Mini as well, I think the Finder is just as good quality wise.

The Therion 167 looks really nice as well but don't have one yet.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a Therion DNA75 and it's quite nice, and seems well made, other than the batteries can be a pain to take out. Particularly the inside position, but once you get a feel for it you can get it right out. I opted for the black patterned leather door on mine but some of the others are pretty slick as well.

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Out of all my DNA mods, the Therion is the one I reach for first. Nicely made and terrific looker, well priced (for a DNA) to boot. If you want something specialty that includes a DNA board there are lots of smaller custom builders out there who do amazing work, both with metals and stabilized woods.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have several DNA mods
2 vaporshark 250s, 2 vaporflask167s, 2 triade 250s, a therion 167, hcigar 133, halcyon 250, sdna75.
Out of those, the lost vape and the vaporsharks have the best overall fit and finish in my opinion.
But, the sharks (and flask) eek out ahead for a few reasons.
While they are black rubberized finish, the finish seems to hold up to day to day use a little better than the lost vape, which show average wear a little more readily. The lost vape have a somewhat more elegant finish with the leather and metal; however, it has been my experience and the black rubberized coating is more resistant to scratching than the painted metal of the lost vape.
Also, vaporshark tends to offer a more accessible customer service than lostvape.
I had dropped one of my DNA 200s and rolled over it in my wheelchair, breaking the button. They took it in, repaired it and had it back to me with a 5 day turnaround- and they didn't charge anything.

Granted, lost vape does make some gorgeous mods; but, when I want a regulated mod that will look nice, I grab either the flask167 with a petri or the shark250 with a single singlle coil RDA or tank.

edit to add.... there are also several custom modders out there that make some gorgeous pieces.
the axis m17 and boss3000 come to mind; but, there are others out there.
a nice thing about dna mods, is you can spend either 90-100$ or 1000$ and get a board that operates and vapes almost identical.
Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tom_Pulliam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I really enjoy my vaporshark 200 it looks great and works great as well finish is holding up better than my sxmini did as well

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Looking at acquiring my first dna mod but I really haven't seen any with the same build quality as my sx mini q class. I understand the chips are different but I don't want it to feel cheap in my hand either. Any suggestions?

Totally agree, kind of tough to beat Yihi’s fit and finish. I have the new G Class and I can honestly say fit and finish wise it's the best mass produced mod I own. Lost Vape does a great job with the DNA'S but IMO Yihi just edges them out in the build quality department.

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all its flavour.

-William Cowper

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have quite a few DNA mods and my favorite is the Lost Vape Therion 166. It's the closest thing to a custom mod that is off the shelf imo. It comes in both Black or Silver , Wood or Carbon Fiber inserts, and a variety of battery cover choices (Leather, Ostrich, Carbon Fiber, and my favorite Snakeskin). It feels great in hand, works great, theyjust feels like a quality piece of gear.

Snakeskin Covers (my favorite and most used mods)
IMG_20170319_120848_zpsizrliqlr.jpg

Smokey Brown Leather Cover
IMG_20161230_123301_zpsajbldxx1.jpg
IMG_20161230_123015_zpsv9ts9zxn.jpg

Red Ostrich next to a Vapor Shark Vapor Flask 133
IMG_20170119_204746_zpshqnz7yi0.jpg
IMG_20170119_204726_zpsaagdujnh.jpg

Carbon Fiber
IMG_20170125_143205_zpsaznnmk0r.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love my Think Vape Finder DNA167 which is the same form factor as the Therion. Really was tempted to get the Therion 166 with the snakeskin.
Now that I got the Yihi G Class I have to admit that the quality so far lives up to the higher price tag.

Here is the Finder and G Class

8196736618d5cdd3c41c67f6cc80286f.jpg
80d1c07f97f40c659a6d64314e9a984c.jpg
516376b3660f01f142a4cd226c429383.jpg

Nobody beats the screen on the new G class except other mods that use the SX550 chip. Look at how small it is as well but holds up to 31mm tanks. The battery door on the G Class makes swapping them out crazy easy too.

I almost didn't buy the G Class because I had a hard time justifying the price. Now that I have it I am impressed and feel like I got a value.

I do worry about the paint on Lost Vape mods, my Triade DNA250 already has paint rubbing off the bottom and it has never left the house. I still may get a Therion 166 with the snake skin but if I had to choose one just based on quality it would be the G Class everytime.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I love my Think Vape Finder DNA167 which is the same form factor as the Therion. Really was tempted to get the Therion 166 with the snakeskin.
Now that I got the Yihi G Class I have to admit that the quality so far lives up to the higher price tag.

Nobody beats the screen on the new G class except other mods that use the SX550 chip. Look at how small it is as well but holds up to 31mm tanks. The battery door on the G Class makes swapping them out crazy easy too.

I almost didn't buy the G Class because I had a hard time justifying the price. Now that I have it I am impressed and feel like I got a value.

I do worry about the paint on Lost Vape mods, my Triade DNA250 already has paint rubbing off the bottom and it has never left the house. I still may get a Therion 166 with the snake skin but if I had to choose one just based on quality it would be the G Class everytime.

Exactly right, while I love the look of the Lost Vape mods their build quality is not quite up to par with Yihi. The Q Class is definitely worth the price of admission. Now if someone could just tell the owner of Yihi that no one wants to see his name on a plate bolted to a mod his customers paid $225 for, created specifically to feed his massive ego I'd truly be happy. Guy can't put his name on the bottom of the mod like everyone else? Smfh!

-William Cowper

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have both the Finder 167 and the Therion 166. To me there are some real pros to the Therion over the Finder.

Pros of the Therion:
You can get access to the board without have to remove the top and bottom glass. The Finder is a fingerprint magnet (some might not care), the top glass also shows any condensation (I find myself constantly wiping it off). The outside battery has support so it never flies out of the mod while removing the battery cover (it's happened to me on the Finder more than once). I like the wood/carbon fiber inserts (personal preference). The Finders a tad lighter so the Therion feels like a more solid device to me (some would prefer lighter). The Therion to me is the original, the Finder a copy (it won't ,natter to most, but I find the original usually has some of the little things a copy doesn't). More choices when it comes to battery covers (Leather, Ostrich, Carbon Fiber, Snakeskin)

Pros of the Finder:
I like the Abalone fire button. The more centered 510 is nice but because of the depth of both mods you really can't fit a bigger atty without side overhang.

Notes The previous is just my opinion (a lot is personal preference). YMMV. One other thing, my paint os perfect on all 3 of my Therions. I don't recall reading people complaining about the Therion paint. Lastly I like them both, but just hope you don't need to gain access to the board of the Finder - that's the main con to me.

Side by side comparison picture
IMG_20170305_162344_zpsu9ukyssm.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

BTW bro, that Aromamizer looks like it was made for the G Class. That's some sick matchy matchy right there. Absolutely gorgeous!

-William Cowper

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
BTW bro, that Aromamizer looks like it was made for the G Class. That's some sick matchy matchy right there. Absolutely gorgeous!

-William Cowper

Thanks bro! Great vape too, love the combo big time

VU Sponsors