Become a Patron!

Better flavor with lower resistance coil?

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I always vaped with the 0.4ohm coil. I recently changed to 0.15ohm and its as if the flavor is lighter and more noticeable. Is this possible? I though higher ohm coils were for flavor? In fact I returned back to 0.4ohm and it tasted almost slightly burned or like the coil wasn't saturated. Am I losing it?

When I say burned, I don't mean dry hit. I just mean burned tasting

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I guess what i mean is that the flavors are more easily distinguished. But with the 0.4ohm, its a very rich deep flavor. So it's a single taste rather than being able to notice each individual flavor

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Resistance doesn't really mean anything about flavour, it's airflow and coil types that being out flavour.
A clapton coil will give more flavour than regular kanthal but then there's also coil mass and surface area that play a part too.
A 0.15 fused clapton and a 0.4 fused clapton would give the same flavour if it's same ID and such but one of them will be a cooler vape and the other a warmer vape.
Resistance is just mainly a personal preference and there is more to it than that

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The 0.4 is a large single coil. The 0.15 is 4 smaller coils. Yes the low resistance is much cooler. Just confused why the flavor is different

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The 0.4 is a large single coil. The 0.15 is 4 smaller coils. Yes the low resistance is much cooler. Just confused why the flavor is different
The 0.15 coil would need more airflow and airflow cools down the tank but it also changes flavour but are they different coils or the same??
I think your thinking too much into it though, just vape at what resistance is better for you

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems like your using premade coils like the TFV8 BabyBeast Q2 vs T8.. it has to do with the amount of vapors produced vs the amount of airflow you allow which equals the density. The more dense the more flavor.

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah they're premade coils. It's the Vaporesso GT8 which is the 0.15ohm. So more density equals more flavor?

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I've found that higher temperatures in general, whether that is due to tighter airflow or what have you, affect certain flavors. So if you are vaping hotter, certain flavorings might stand out more while others are less prominent.

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah they're premade coils. It's the Vaporesso GT8 which is the 0.15ohm. So more density equals more flavor?
of course..

its like sugar in your coffee.. more sugar more dense makes your coffee more sweet.
however if you restrict the 4-coils 0.15 ohm coils too much or turn up the Wattage too much, it'll might get too hot which burns the coils faster.. I used the same coils (GT8 and GT2) in my NRG tank.. usually at around 25-30 Watts

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
For example, my Strawberry Cheesecake juice I make tastes totally different in my drippers with more heat / airflow than in my Kayfun 5 which is a tight draw and cooler vape. The Kayfun 5 accentuates the strawberry and brighter notes I have noticed while my drippers brings out the creamy body of the juice. But again, a lot of variables at play here and subjectivity.

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's weird. The 0.4 ohm coils has better overall flavor but the 0.15 ohm coil is better in terms of allowing me to taste each flavor independently

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
of course..

its like sugar in your coffee.. more sugar more dense makes your coffee more sweet.
however if you restrict the 4-coils 0.15 ohm coils too much or turn up the Wattage too much, it'll might get too hot which burns the coils faster.. I used the same coils (GT8 and GT2) in my NRG tank.. usually at around 25-30 Watts
None of the coils handle high wattage is what I found. Ratings of coils are overkill.
If a coil is rated up to 100 watts it usually only handles 80

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For example, my Strawberry Cheesecake juice I make tastes totally different in my drippers with more heat / airflow than in my Kayfun 5 which is a tight draw and cooler vape. The Kayfun 5 accentuates the strawberry and brighter notes I have noticed while my drippers brings out the creamy body of the juice. But again, a lot of variables at play here and subjectivity.
I find low wattage brings out notes in your juice that sub ohm can't but that sub ohm is more dense but I use 0.5 builds in my MTL tanks and think the thing of MTL being 1.0 ohm and above is a myth. MTL is down to airflow and chamber

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I find low wattage brings out notes in your juice that sub ohm can't but that sub ohm is more dense but I use 0.5 builds in my MTL tanks and think the thing of MTL being 1.0 ohm and above is a myth. MTL is down to airflow and chamber
Yeah same here, 0.5 in my Kayfun and I don't MTL on it, just a nice restricted lung hit.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah same here, 0.5 in my Kayfun and I don't MTL on it, just a nice restricted lung hit.
Yeah when I vape at low wattage it's probably closer to restricted lung.
I use the Merlin Mini with the biggest air reducer at 30 watts so it's not really pure MTL. I like the Siren V2 as it's a loose MTL you can push the wattage a bit.
The Berserker as too much of a tight draw for me. It was even too tight of a draw for psubardo and all he does is MTL!!

Real Extract in Seattle

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nobody has mentioned Ohms law which defines the relationship between voltage, resistance and power output. You can get to the same result with your vape theoretically with low ohms/low voltage or high ohms/high voltage. Real Extracts do best at low power ratings (12 watts, single coil, 1.0+ ohms) as a rule.
1826-ohms-law_001.jpg

V is voltage measured in volts (the size of the water tank),

I
is current measured in amperes (related to the pressure (Voltage) of water thru the pipes and faucet) and

R is resistance measured in ohms as related to the size of the pipes and faucet:

V = I x R (Voltage = Current multiplied by Resistance)

R = V / I (Resistance = Voltage divided by Current)

I = V / R (Current = Voltage Divided by Resistance)

Knowing any two of the values of a circuit, one can determine (calculate) the third, using Ohm's Law.

Last edited:

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nobody has mentioned Ohns law which defines the relationship between voltage, resistance and power output. You can get to the same result theoretically with low ohms/low voltage or high ohms/high voltage. Real Extracts do better at low power ratings (12 watts, single coil, 1.0+ ohms).
  • Voltage is the difference in charge between two points.
  • Current is the rate at which charge is flowing.
  • Resistance is a material’s tendency to resist the flow of charge (current).

Where

• V = Voltage in volts
  • I = Current in amps
  • R = Resistance in ohms
Because ohms law doesn't matter, he's using a factory coil tank and it doesn't apply to flavor either.
If he was using an RDA/RTA it would apply cos you'd need to build to right resistance and use the right batteries but factory coils never go below 0.12

Real Extract in Seattle

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The amount of heat applied does affect flavorings. Ohms law, if understood, allows you to choose the right coil, adjust your voltage or wrap the coil you need. Of course, you have to be willing to figure it out to get there...

VU Sponsors