Become a Patron!

Bitching about the media!!

Karebear

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With all the bad things going on in this fucked up world, the media loves to focus on them! Why can't they focus on the good stuff and leave the bad out in the cold. I think with them focusing on the shootings and killings is just wrong.. I think it just brings the other nuts out thinking "oh cool I can do this, look at all the death". I am so glad I don't watch t.v.. What are your thoughts?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It is all about the feels.

Reporters in the field should be fired on the spot asking victims how they feel... Just give me the facts not the trailer park denizen feels.

Karebear

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think they should just stop reporting on the bad stuff, only do good for awhile.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
but the sheeple zombie phone drones with the attention span of fucking gnats on speed will not watch.

Karebear

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
but the sheeple zombie phone drones with the attention span of fucking gnats on speed will not watch.
You are awesome!! And Butters is my favorite!!
So true.. And the T.V companies have to keep their numbers up!

Karebear

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am pro guns, and I don't own one..
I am pro smoking, but I do not smoke..
I am pro drugs, but do not use them..
I am pro prostitution, but I have never done that..
Quoting my hubby "how we feel about vices we don't have reflects our stance on liberty"
I agree totally with that quote!

Karebear

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Honestly I am more tired of constant talentless lard asses.. I mean kardashians.... and that thing they used to call Bruce.
Well, I see them all as attention whores. Bruce??? What happened to him, he was like the greatest athlete ever..

Last edited:

Karebear

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
"The most important thing we've learned,
So far as children are concerned,
Is never, NEVER, NEVER let
Them near your television set–
Or better still, just don't install
The idiotic thing at all.
In almost every house we've been,
We've watched them gaping at the screen.
They loll and slop and lounge about,
And stare until their eyes pop out.
(Last week in someone's place we saw
A dozen eyeballs on the floor.)
They sit and stare and stare and sit
Until they're hypnotised by it,
Until they're absolutely drunk
With all the shocking ghastly junk.
Oh yes, we know it keeps them still,
They don't climb out the window sill,
They never fight or kick or punch,
They leave you free to cook the lunch
And wash the dishes in the sink–
But did you ever stop to think,
To wonder just exactly what
This does to your beloved tot?
IT ROTS THE SENSES IN THE HEAD!
IT KILLS IMAGINATION DEAD!
IT CLOGS AND CLUTTERS UP THE MIND!
IT MAKES A CHILD SO DULL AND BLIND
HE CAN NO LONGER UNDERSTAND
A FANTASY, A FAIRYLAND!
HIS BRAIN BECOMES AS SOFT AS CHEESE!
HIS POWERS OF THINKING RUST AND FREEZE!
HE CANNOT THINK–HE ONLY SEES!
'All right!' you'll cry. 'All right!' you'll say,
'But if we take the set away,
What shall we do to entertain
Our darling children? Please explain!'
We'll answer this by asking you,
'What used the darling ones to do?
'How used they keep themselves contented
Before this monster was invented?'
Have you forgotten? Don't you know?
We'll say it very loud and slow:
THEY...USED...TO...READ! They'd READ and READ,
AND READ and READ, and then proceed
To READ some more. Great Scott! Gadzooks!
One half their lives was reading books!
The nursery shelves held books galore!
Books cluttered up the nursery floor!
And in the bedroom, by the bed,
More books were waiting to be read!
Such wondrous, fine, fantastic takes
Of dragons, gypsies, queens, and whales
And treasure isles, and distant shores
Where smugglers rowed with muffled oars,
And pirates wearing purple pants,
And sailing ships and elephants,
And cannibals crouching 'round the pot,
Stirring away at something hot.
(It smells so good, what can it be?
Good gracious, it's Penelope.)
The younger ones had Beatrix Potter
With Mr. Tod, the dirty rotter,
And Squirrel Nutkin, Pigling Bland,
And Mrs. Tiggy–Winkle and–
Just How The Camel Got His Hump,
And How The Monkey Lost His Rump,
And Mr. Toad, and bless my soul,
There's Mr. Rat and Mr. Mole–
Oh, books, what books they used to know,
Those children living long ago!
So please, oh please, we beg, we pray,
Go throw your TV set away,
And in its place you can install
A lovely bookshelf on the wall.
Then fill the shelves with lots of books,
Ignoring all the dirty looks,
The screams and yells, the bites and kicks,
And children hitting you with sticks–
Fear not, because we promise you
That, in about a week or two
Of having nothing else to do,
They'll now begin to feel the need
Of having something good to read.
And once they start–oh boy, oh boy!
You watch the slowly growing joy
That fills their hears. They'll grow so keen
They'll wonder what they'd ever seen
In that ridiculous machine,
That nauseating, foul, unclean,
Repulsive television screen!
And later, each and every kid
Will love you more for what you did.
P.S. Regarding Mike Teavee,
We very much regret that we
Shall simply have to wait and see
If we can get him back his height.
But if we can't–it serves him right."

- Roald Dahl, Chalie and the Chocolate Factory

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, if the world is indeed a terrible place, then I say let the news reflect that.

The issue I have is with the lack of balance. I you watch the news too much, you're liable to think that the world is a worse place than it really is, when truly, in many regards, it's much, much better than its ever been. People don't realize just how good they have it... ...how easy it is to actually live a happy life. There is a point where allowing the news to inform your views on people serves as a detriment to not only your well being, but the sorts of interactions we have as a society. Groupthink is scary stuff, man. Confirmation bias is a bitch. A large group of people with the wrong ideas in their heads is a dangerous thing.

It becomes problematic when you start thinking of people and circumstances as caricatures. It's all too easy to confuse the presentation with the content. TV and the news in particular can elicit a rather strange form of dissociation. You see more of things, but touch less of it - more reach for less grasp.

Rather than being a way to stay informed, it becomes a form of escapism. It has a way of coaxing you into a bubble wherein you think everything is more significant than it really is. The world is more important. What you think and say about things happening in the next town over are important. What you do in your own life is not important. The state of your backyard is trifle compared to other things happening elsewhere.

Watching the news is like looking at the world through a telescope. Get to be too reliant upon the media for opinions and information and you will fail to see what's next to you. It gets hard to see the forest for the trees. You start mistaking a leaf for a patch of shrubs and rivers.

I find that when I stop checking the news for a while, I see a much humbler world. People are more honest and approachable. Conversations are more genuine and visceral. And then I'll come back to the news and find that I haven't really missed much. Meanwhile, so much that really matters to me has happened in my own life across that gap. *shrugs*

I dunno, I don't watch TV anymore, either. Haven't had a real viewing session in years. Now, every time that I catch some in passing, I wonder how I tolerated it. You start looking at the way everything is framed and there's this uncanny sense that something is somehow off. There's an unsettling sort of unreality to it. It's some twilight zone shit. It makes me feel like I'm watching an alternate reality unfold before my eyes.

I feel like I've fundamentally changed as person because of it, though I may be confusing cause and effect, here. I'm less interested in what people around me are thinking/doing and more focused on what I think and do. I have noticed that I'm more into my hobbies. I don't find myself longing to stay still and turn off for my escapism anymore. When you stop watching TV, I think it's only natural that you will seek out information, ideas and entertainment on your own.

What constitutes worthwhile downtime changes. Your time becomes more valuable to you when you have to make things happen for yourself... ...when you actually have to seek in order to find. Personally, I find that route much more fulfilling. But that is to say that it is merely a preference. It's neither here nor there. Life is challenging, emotionally and intellectually. People are busy.

To each their own. Sometimes its equally as important to be in the loop in a way that only TV can put you. It's a huge piece of our culture. Watching TV has its benefits. You just have to remember that the dose makes the poison.

I don't even know what I'm rambling about at this point. I just want to make it clear that I'm speaking of my own experiences. I do not want this to be about people who watch the news vs people who don't. In all honesty, I'm not all that invested in these opinions of mine. I don't think it's healthy to get too attached to any particular viewpoint, especially on matters such as these.

The way that we gather and consume information is in a constant state of flux. It's always going to be an equivalent exchange. There will likely always be pros and cons to our means of acquiring secondhand information. I think awareness of this is the key to making more effective use of them. To say that one is better than the other is meaningless to me. So long as one recognizes the pitfalls of using a form of media as a platform for acquiring and dispensing information, it can be advantageous.

Last edited:

Karebear

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, if the world is indeed a terrible place, then I say let the news reflect that.

The issue I have is with the lack of balance. I you watch the news too much, you're liable to think that the world is a worse place than it really is, when truly, in many regards, it's much, much better than its ever been. People don't realize just how good they have it... ...how easy it is to actually live a happy life. There is a point where allowing the news to inform your views on people serves as a detriment to not only your well being, but the sorts of interactions we have as a society. Groupthink is scary stuff, man. Confirmation bias is a bitch. A large group of people with the wrong ideas in their heads is a dangerous thing.

It becomes problematic when you start thinking of people and circumstances as caricatures. It's all too easy to confuse the presentation with the content. TV and the news in particular can elicit a rather strange form of dissociation. You see more of things, but touch less of it - more reach for less grasp.

Rather than being a way to stay informed, it becomes a form of escapism. It has a way of coaxing you into a bubble wherein you think everything is more significant than it really is. The world is more important. What you think and say about things happening in the next town over are important. What you do in your own life is not important. The state of your backyard is trifle compared to other things happening elsewhere.

Watching the news is like looking at the world through a telescope. Get to be too reliant upon the media for opinions and information and you will you fail to see what's next to you. It gets hard to see the forest for the trees. You start mistaking a leaf for a patch of shrubs and rivers.

I find that when I stop checking the news for a while, I see a much humbler world. People are more honest and approachable. Conversations are more genuine and visceral. And then I'll come back to the news and find that I haven't really missed much. *shrugs*

I dunno, I don't watch TV anymore, either. Haven't had a real viewing session in years. Now, every time that I catch some in passing, I wonder how I tolerated it. You start looking at the way everything is framed and there's this uncanny sense that something is somehow off. There's an unsettling sort of unreality to it. It's some twilight zone shit. It makes me feel like I'm watching an alternate reality unfold before my eyes.

I feel like I've fundamentally changed as person because of it, though I may be confusing cause and effect, here. I'm less interested in what people around me are thinking/doing and more focused on what I think and do. I have noticed that I'm more into my hobbies. I don't find myself longing to stay still and turn off for my escapism anymore. When you stop watching TV, I think it's only natural that you will seek out information, ideas and entertainment on your own.

What constitutes worthwhile downtime changes. Your time becomes more valuable to you when you have to make things happen for yourself... ...when you actually have to seek in order to find. Personally, I find that route much more fulfilling. But that is to say that it is merely a preference. It's neither here nor there. Life is challenging, emotionally and intellectually. People are busy.

To each their own. Sometimes its equally as important to be in the loop in a way that only TV can put you. Watching TV has its benefits. You just have to remember that the dose makes the poison.

I don't even know what I'm rambling about at this point. I just want to make it clear that I'm speaking of my own experiences. I do not want this to be about people who watch the news vs people who don't. In all honesty, I'm not all that invested in these opinions of mine. I don't think it's healthy to get too attached to any particular viewpoint, especially on matters such as these.

The way that we gather and consume information is in a constant state of flux. It's always going to be an equivalent exchange. There will likely always be pros and cons to our means of acquiring secondhand information. I think awareness of this is the key to making more effective use of them. To say that one is better than the other is meaningless to me. So long as one recognizes the pitfalls of using a form of media as a platform for acquiring and dispensing information, it can be advantageous.
You are one smart kid! I hear about what is happening on the news from my mother-in-law and from my family (they are t.v. addicts). Watch this
It is from a movie called Network.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are one smart kid!
Hey, thanks! I don't think I'm all that intelligent, though. I take simple observations and phrase them in complex terms. I'm wired to overthink things. Trust me on this one - my thoughts are very much quantity over quality, as is my way of expressing them.

I hear about what is happening on the news from my mother-in-law and from my family (they are t.v. addicts).
Yeah, my parents are like this too. Every time I go visit them, my mom has fox news on in the background. She literally keeps it on all day. I don't know how it doesn't get to her.

I mostly hear about stuff through friends and co-workers. If it interests me, I'll look into it myself. I do check the news online occasionally, too. I just try not to do that too often because it distracts me from my day. Perhaps it's childish of me, but if I'm going to sit and read something, I want it to be something that I can actually take and use for something other than a centerpiece for idle conversation. If not that, then it should at least captivate me enough for me to deem it worth my time.

I've never understood where that sense of duty to follow the news comes from. All that the news gives me is apathy and disillusionment. Sometimes, I think that the bombardment of information actually makes it harder to discern facts. They hit you with so much information that may or may not be relevant in a sort of all-or-nothing, this-or-that manner that it's impossible to separate truth from fiction.

Right now, I bet they're still speculating on the unknowns behind this latest mass murder. People want to know more, but instead of investigating, they'll spend days regurgitating speculation sprinkled with the same meager facts and dire urgency... ...as though things in your life would be different if you didn't have that, when what they're actually doing is closer to extracting a novella from an inventory list...

...and now that I think about it, I'd rather read a short story about eleven cases of bleach and an old forklift. Meh. It'd probably be as worthless a piece of art as it would be useless for tracking on-hand quantities.

But I digress. To me, that's not a meaningful conversation to have. It's just hollow titillation that only serves to confuse. Fluff. Tripe. What would be and could be isn't news. Truth is very cut-and-dry. Is it this or is it that? I don't know, you're the journalist. If you have to ask whether or not something you have is the truth, then it probably isn't. Don't waste my time talking in circles if you don't actually have the Twinkies you appear to be dangling. The lack of integrity in reporting wears my patience oh so thin.

Watch this
It is from a movie called Network.
That was amazing. I'm gonna have to check that movie out. I know what he's talking about is as old as human communication itself is, but just how true that rings to this day still surprises me.

Karebear

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey, thanks! I don't think I'm all that intelligent, though. I take simple observations and phrase them in complex terms. I'm wired to overthink things. Trust me on this one - my thoughts are very much quantity over quality, as is my way of expressing them.

Yeah, my parents are like this too. Every time I go visit them, my mom has fox news on in the background. She literally keeps it on all day. I don't know how it doesn't get to her.

I mostly hear about stuff through friends and co-workers. If it interests me, I'll look into it myself. I do check the news online occasionally, too. I just try not to do that too often because it distracts me from my day. Perhaps it's childish of me, but if I'm going to sit and read something, I want it to be something that I can actually take and use for something other than a centerpiece for idle conversation. If not that, then it should at least captivate me enough for me to deem it worth my time.

I've never understood where that sense of duty to follow the news comes from. All that the news gives me is apathy and disillusionment. Sometimes, I think that the bombardment of information actually makes it harder to discern facts. They hit you with so much information that may or may not be relevant in a sort of all-or-nothing, this-or-that manner that it's impossible to separate truth from fiction.

Right now, I bet they're still speculating on the unknowns behind this latest mass murder. People want to know more, but instead of investigating, they'll spend days regurgitating speculation sprinkled with the same meager facts and dire urgency... ...as though things in your life would be different if you didn't have that, when what they're actually doing is closer to extracting a novella from an inventory list...

...and now that I think about it, I'd rather read a short story about eleven cases of bleach and an old forklift. Meh. It'd probably be as worthless a piece of art as it would be useless for tracking on-hand quantities.

But I digress. To me, that's not a meaningful conversation to have. It's just hollow titillation that only serves to confuse. Fluff. Tripe. What would be and could be isn't news. Truth is very cut-and-dry. Is it this or is it that? I don't know, you're the journalist. If you have to ask whether or not something you have is the truth, then it probably isn't. Don't waste my time talking in circles if you don't actually have the Twinkies you appear to be dangling. The lack of integrity in reporting wears my patience oh so thin.

That was amazing. I'm gonna have to check that movie out. I know what he's talking about is as old as human communication itself is, but just how true that rings to this day still surprises me.

This is what I hear from the news " Don't go outside! The weather will get you, or the stranger walking his dog is actually a killer waiting to kill you, or don't open your door to the girl scouts, cause they are actually thieves waiting to steal everything you have" and so on.... Half the time the news is nothing but scare tactics. Or like you said it's a bunch of fluff... Network is a good movie, I think you'll like it

Last edited:

misterJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll listen to world news on the radio, but American news is a joke.
It's sad that anchors could be called journalists.

erika jean

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The news takes snipits of information that can keep adding fuel to the fire. That fuel is fear. The news wants you to be fearful because the government wants you to be fearful. They want people to believe the world is a bad place. Buy a gun to be safe. Buy 50 gallons of water in case of some crazy doomsday scenario. The consumer consumes the media and in turn consumes the goods that help our great American economy. Reality TV crap is made for the average American. Dumber than the last decade yet smarter with technology. (TV tablets smartphones) The average American that likes to sit and binge on fatty foods and TV. Let's get fat and stupid and make sure to watch the news cuz they're always right. And watch Reality TV cuz it's cool and entertaining... Come the fuck on. Yeah those fame whore Kardashian's someone else already mentioned. That's how life is. That's how I want my life to be. They are so cool. I want to be so like them...? WTF people nowadays not even smart enough to think for themselves. To be themselves instead of how TV shows how it is. Anything considered Real on television is really just a sham they put up to keep us from thinking for ourselves and become zombies drones. To condone with America's way. Roll over and play their game but in the end they'll always win. We in this thread are the minority. Don't feed into the government's hands and let them take you from yourself. You should be the one to decide your own fate. Alright I'm all ranted out for the night...

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The news takes snipits of information that can keep adding fuel to the fire. That fuel is fear. The news wants you to be fearful because the government wants you to be fearful. They want people to believe the world is a bad place. Buy a gun to be safe. Buy 50 gallons of water in case of some crazy doomsday scenario. The consumer consumes the media and in turn consumes the goods that help our great American economy. Reality TV crap is made for the average American. Dumber than the last decade yet smarter with technology. (TV tablets smartphones) The average American that likes to sit and binge on fatty foods and TV. Let's get fat and stupid and make sure to watch the news cuz they're always right. And watch Reality TV cuz it's cool and entertaining... Come the fuck on. Yeah those fame whore Kardashian's someone else already mentioned. That's how life is. That's how I want my life to be. They are so cool. I want to be so like them...? WTF people nowadays not even smart enough to think for themselves. To be themselves instead of how TV shows how it is. Anything considered Real on television is really just a sham they put up to keep us from thinking for ourselves and become zombies drones. To condone with America's way. Roll over and play their game but in the end they'll always win. We in this thread are the minority. Don't feed into the government's hands and let them take you from yourself. You should be the one to decide your own fate. Alright I'm all ranted out for the night...

Good rant. I quit watching the news and TV years ago. Just too full of obvious propaganda by those who want power, and to keep that power.

vape me

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Bad news gets attention. They do have feel-good stories, but it's usually some bullshit.

erika jean

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good rant. I quit watching the news and TV years ago. Just too full of obvious propaganda by those who want power, and to keep that power.
I do love watching good documentaries of like the one percenters of America or healthcare or public education (to name a few) and how this country really works. The things most people don't know. Things that everyone SHOULD know. People are too dumb to care or too ignorant to realize what lies behind the lies. The word needs to get out. It'd be total anarchy if they knew and cared enough. I'm sure the majority wouldn't even believe it since they've been in the dark for far too long.
I understand all this cop vs poor African American urban areas ordeal. And it is real. I can understand it from The People's eyes but the whole "hands up don't shoot" thing is all media based. The facts are never clearly stated. As much as they'll "try" to solve the problem at hand it'll never end. Slavery and segregation ended a long time ago yet while people may think they aren't racist their subconscious thinks otherwise. 'Shady looking black guy walks thru the parking lot towards your general direction lock the door.' Full story: it's cold out so he has his hood up walking fast because he needed to get cold medicine for his baby. People are automatically generalized based on race. The media does that too. You'll see more news coverage on a little white girl who goes missing than a little African American girl. It's a shame on the media's fault if you do feel that way.
What a sad motherfucking world we live in...

vape me

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I understand all this cop vs poor African American urban areas ordeal. And it is real. I can understand it from The People's eyes but the whole "hands up don't shoot" thing is all media based. The facts are never clearly stated. As much as they'll "try" to solve the problem at hand it'll never end. Slavery and segregation ended a long time ago yet while people may think they aren't racist their subconscious thinks otherwise. 'Shady looking black guy walks thru the parking lot towards your general direction lock the door.' Full story: it's cold out so he has his hood up walking fast because he needed to get cold medicine for his baby. People are automatically generalized based on race. The media does that too. You'll see more news coverage on a little white girl who goes missing than a little African American girl. It's a shame on the media's fault if you do feel that way.
What a sad motherfucking world we live in...

I agree. I am glad that you admit it because so many people online deny this. It might be innate, influenced by society or experience, or some combination of these factors, but this is the way things are. I doubt that race will ever not be an issue, for better or for worse.

erika jean

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree. I am glad that you admit it because so many people online deny this. It might be innate, influenced by society or experience, or some combination of these factors, but this is the way things are. I doubt that race will ever not be an issue, for better or for worse.
Coming from the 6th largest city in the US you tend to be cautious of everyone though..

vape me

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Coming from the 6th largest city in the US you tend to be cautious of everyone though..

I wouldn't blame you at all. Everyone's priority is to look after their own well-being.

VU Sponsors