Become a Patron!

Brand New And Need Help

Hello,

I am just getting started and getting ready to pull the trigger on my first setup. I am thinking about going with the istick 30w and the Aspire Nautilus mini or the Kanger Subtank Nano. I keep reading this is a good setup for a beginer so that is why I was leaning in this direction.

I am not looking for crazy clouds or anything. I currently smoke about a pack a day and I am ready to cut back and quit. With the setup above what nic level for the juice do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
what brand of smokes?

Normally 24 mg for Marlboro Reds and equivalent, 18mg for full flavor ones, 12mg-15mg for lights, 9mg for ultra lights.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you're going to be using that subtank I wouldn't go to high on nic. I would do 6mg. You may want to start with 8mg and see how that suits you. With the nautilus the nic is whatever. Most people start with 24mg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

hazozita

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello,

I am just getting started and getting ready to pull the trigger on my first setup. I am thinking about going with the istick 30w and the Aspire Nautilus mini or the Kanger Subtank Nano. I keep reading this is a good setup for a beginer so that is why I was leaning in this direction.

I am not looking for crazy clouds or anything. I currently smoke about a pack a day and I am ready to cut back and quit. With the setup above what nic level for the juice do you recommend?

Congrat's on taking the first step! You're not going to believe how much better you're going to feel once you switch to vaping.

The setups you listed are good choices. Others you may want to take a look at are the Kanger Subox (it includes a Subtank plus the device, but you will need to get a battery and charger), the Innokin MVP v3 or the Innokin Coolfire v4. The latter two have internal batteries (like the iStick) so you don't need to buy any batteries.

In terms of nic level, you'll want to stay on the low end with tanks such as the Subtank since it produces a greater volume of vapor. Perhaps get a few small bottles at various nic levels (6, 8 and perhaps 12) so you can see for yourself what works best for your needs. Tanks such as the Nautilus produce a lower volume of vapor, so higher nic levels (12 or 18) are good for them when you first start.

Hope this helps, and congrat's again for taking the first step!

Last edited:
I smoked a pack a day for 23 years. I tried the pen mods and wasnt getting enough. So i went to my local vape shop and got an istick 50 watt and a dripper rda. I havent turned back to smoking. I currently vape at 3mg to 6mg. I now have a Sigelei 150 with an Atlantis V2 running 65 watts on a consistant basis. Just do your research and talk to one of the local vape shops in your area.

www.sendmyeliquid.com

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A 30 watt Istick and Nautilus is a great set-up for a beginner. The Nautilus has a tighter draw like a cigarette, you might find that more comfortable and satisfying than the Subtank Mini when you start vaping. The Subtank has an airier draw and produces LOTS of vapor. It might be too much vapor for you when you get started.

If you go with the Nautilus I would suggest you start around 18mg. If you go with the Subtank I would suggest you start with 12mg if you use the 1.2ohm coil, and 6mg if you use the 0.5 ohm coil. Good Luck.

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A 30 watt istick and nautilus mini is exactly what I used to ween myself off of cigs. I was also a pack a day Marlboro light smoker of 25 years. I vaped at 12mg and smoked for about 4 months. Immediatly cutting down to 1/2 pack a day when I bought the vaporizer, then over that 4 months cut down to none.

I found the morning, commute, after meal, and before bed smokes the hardest to put down. At the 4 month mark I walked into my local shop to get more liquid, dropped 3/4 of a pack into their last pack container, and have been cig free for 101 days now, with absolutely no desire for one.

My wife who was not a smoker now uses my istick and nautilus mini at zero nic because she loves the smells and flavors. I have moved up to sub tanks and rda's at 3mg.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello,

Great first setup choices - I was a bit less than a pack a day on Marlboro Light 100s, it took 18 mg on an old ego/protank style setup to get me to quit, though I quickly backed off to 12 mg. I'd suggest the same nic for a Nautilus, but maybe stepping it down to 6 or so if you go with the Subtank. Also be prepared to use a lot more liquid if you go for the Sub.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A 30 watt istick and nautilus mini is exactly what I used to ween myself off of cigs. I was also a pack a day Marlboro light smoker of 25 years. I vaped at 12mg and smoked for about 4 months. Immediatly cutting down to 1/2 pack a day when I bought the vaporizer, then over that 4 months cut down to none.

I found the morning, commute, after meal, and before bed smokes the hardest to put down. At the 4 month mark I walked into my local shop to get more liquid, dropped 3/4 of a pack into their last pack container, and have been cig free for 101 days now, with absolutely no desire for one.

My wife who was not a smoker now uses my istick and nautilus mini at zero nic because she loves the smells and flavors. I have moved up to sub tanks and rda's at 3mg.
I am less fortunate. 43 years I sucked on those things. 2, 3 packs a day. Washed my hair really long hair, & got a lung infection. Was an hour from death when I got to a Doctor. He said, Stop smoking, or in six weeks you'll be dead. Woke me up. Found vaping online. Saved my life. :cool:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Awesome choice on mod and tank! Congrats on making that first step to a healthier lifestyle!!
ChampagneToast.gif

I started with a similar tank to the nautilus and 18mg nic. If you go subtank you may wanna try 12mg or 8mg because its gonna deliver more vapor hence more nicotine. I'll say like some of the others did. That nautilus will have a much more tighter draw, something closer to what you're used to with the cigs, it will also be easier on the throat hit like a cigs. The subtank will be remarkably looser draw and totally different type of throat hit with higher nic.
If you're looking to switch I would think the nautilus will give you something closer to what you're looking for and you can always loom into a subtank after you've migrated to just vaping.

Don't forget you always have we fun and dandy wierdos to help you make questionable decisions!
Congrats again!!!!!

Rekonball

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Personally I had to use a pretty strong flavor to keep me from smoking again. I found I really enjoyed the coffee flavors Carmel Macchio from EC blend is excellent.

Vapingbeauty

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello,

I suggest the kanger subbox mini kit ....kanger suntan mini and Knox mini.....I quit on the Alantis v1 with the Alantis cf subohm battery and it worked like a charm it was my first setup and I quit within 3 weeks @ 24nic ....now for most sub ohm users that's a lot I guess because every time I went to buy juice the ppl at the shops looked at me like u had 10 head once seeing what I was using .....buy whatever gets you to not smoke

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Vapingbeauty

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sugardonut

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just keep in mind if you sub ohm your Nic levels will feel like it's doubles. So with that in mind lessen the Nic levels. If you go above 1ohm try 12-18 mg. you don't want to go too high or you will get nausea. If for some reason you get dizzy and have a head rush just lower the Nic level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StyleunoLiquid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I wouldn't start off with anything higher than 16mg I know a lot of people who smoked two packs a day and 16mg was what they started at and quickly worked down.

HVPGH

Member For 4 Years
Interesting comments, I had been smoking cigarettes for some 45 years and was consistently at about 25 Pall Mall red 100's a day. During the course of all those health damaging years for a period of time ran a couple of tobacco shops and mixed in a pipe and cigars. About a month and a half ago a good buddy online recommended that I try a Kanger Evod, my son had previously had me try one of those awful gas-station disposables and I thought wat vaping was all about. The Evod was pretty good and I immediately made the decision that I was forever done with analogs. I went into a local vape shop for the first time that weekend after receiving my Kanger kit in the mail and everyone there was so nice. I sat at the counter bar and tried about 50 e-liquids until I found a couple I liked. I settled in on 18mg's based on the discussion regarding my daily cigarette consumption. After a day or so of pretty heavy vaping (as heavy as possible for a e-go setup) I was sure that 18mg/ml was to strong and went to 12. Then on my next outing to the vape shop the owner had me try a Kanger Subox Mini set up and also let me take a "drag" on his dripper. Wow, I immediately knew that the Evod was not going to be able to ever satisfy me...so...ended up picking up an IStick50 and a Sub Pro Mini tank. All was great except that 12mg's is way too strong. I tried 6 and immediately went to 3 in less than a couple of days. So here I am about 60 or so days from lighting the last one and I am completely satistied (nicotine wise) with 3mgs. I am still wanting more devices and supplies as I have since started to build my own coils and make my own e-liquid. This is definitely a lot of fun, the people are great, it is much better for my health, though *not necessarily less money than smoking those death sticks - It's all good! Lastly, I feel a whole lot better and can breathe in the morning without coughing and my wheeze of the last 20 years has vanished!

Last edited:

VU Sponsors