Become a Patron!

Brand new to vaping.. how does my first set up sound?

Hello everyone, and thanks for reading my first ever post and thread. I have done a fair amount of research over the past week and still find myself confused over the different types of mods and tanks and everything else that has to do with the hobby! Basically, I made my first purchases and went ahead with the following:

Sigelei 150W Box Mod: $92.99
Kanger Aerotank Mega 2.0 ohm 3.8ml: $22.49
Four Samsung 25R batteries: $7/each @ $28 total
Nitecore Intellicharger: $16.19
Cosmic Fog Kryptonite E-Juice: $10.79
Total spent: $170.46

Basically, I have three questions:
1) Does that set up sound proper? As in, does that mod and tank sound good and work well together?
2) Do I have everything I need? Obviously going to buy more juice soon, but is there anything else equipment wise that I need?
3) How do those prices sound? I did a lot of research and found those to be the best deals on the various items. They were all purchased on various websites which I'll be happy to share with anyone wanting to know about a specific model.

Thank you all for any replies. :)

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds good. Just don't over power your tank. Start at about 10 watts and slowly adjust up or down until you get the flavor that satisfies you. A 2 ohm Atty does not need a lot of power to heat up. I have the 100+ and my dual coil tank is .8 ohms. I set it to only 23 watts.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup. It's solid gear- better than most start with.
@Kevin2112 hit the nail on the head. That's a LOT of power. Start low and work your way up. More isn't necessarily better and vaping (to me) is about finding a balance between performance and flavor.
Welcome!

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yup. It's solid gear- better than most start with.
@Kevin2112 hit the nail on the head. That's a LOT of power. Start low and work your way up. More isn't necessarily better and vaping (to me) is about finding a balance between performance and flavor.
Welcome!

Exactly - and those kanger dual coil heads tend to burn out very easily.. the new OCC heads are better than I could have imagined - can take a beating.

Thanks guys! I feel a lot better about shelling out nearly $200 for my first set up, but I also didn't want to half ass anything. Glad to know I made good buys, and I will definitely keep in mind to start low and slowly adjust up. Thanks much for the beginning advice.

Oh yeah, heads, heads and more heads
Heads are tanks? Should I have more than one tank? Sorry, I really do need to do more research. lol

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys! I feel a lot better about shelling out nearly $200 for my first set up, but I also didn't want to half ass anything. Glad to know I made good buys, and I will definitely keep in mind to start low and slowly adjust up. Thanks much for the beginning advice.

Heads are tanks? Should I have more than one tank? Sorry, I really do need to do more research. lol
The heads are the replaceable coils that go into the tank. You'll definitely need more of those but shop around for them, some places charge triple what other places charge for them. In Chicago $200 will barely get you two cartons of cigarettes so think of it as a wise investment on stuff you'll have for a long, long time.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Beats the living daylight out of what I first started with!

Get more heads and more E-Liquid, keep your batteries charged and matched and you are good to go:D

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The heads are the replaceable coils that go into the tank. You'll definitely need more of those but shop around for them, some places charge triple what other places charge for them. In Chicago $200 will barely get you two cartons of cigarettes so think of it as a wise investment on stuff you'll have for a long, long time.
I have several Aerotank Mega tanks and switch between them frequently. The coil heads tend to last me about 10 days or so. Having only one tank, expect to change coils at least once a week.
You'll know when- it will taste like crap, vapor will drop considerably, or it will begin leaking, spitting or gurgling.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have several Aerotank Mega tanks and switch between them frequently. The coil heads tend to last me about 10 days or so. Having only one tank, expect to change coils at least once a week.
You'll know when- it will taste like crap, vapor will drop considerably, or it will begin leaking, spitting or gurgling.

LOL i'm lucky to get 3-4 days out of them.. but i also use custards and darker juices..

So the only way to know if I need a knew coil head is to get that nasty burnt taste? :/

And thanks again fellas. I went with the tank I bought because I thought it was a good tank for my mod, but if there are better options I'd really like to know. I can't seem to understand the whole idea of the different tanks and rebuildables and non rebuildables or whatever they're called, but I do now know I need to stock up on them coils! Are there coils that are better than others, or are they all pretty standard?

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So the only way to know if I need a knew coil head is to get that nasty burnt taste? :/

And thanks again fellas. I went with the tank I bought because I thought it was a good tank for my mod, but if there are better options I'd really like to know. I can't seem to understand the whole idea of the different tanks and rebuildables and non rebuildables or whatever they're called, but I do now know I need to stock up on them coils! Are there coils that are better than others, or are they all pretty standard?
Your tank is only going to fit one coil, the coil that is made for it.

Yo thanks bro! That helps tremendously. So I guess I will pretty much order more juices, a variety of different brands and flavors, and keep stocked on proper coils. Also keep my batteries always charged and I have four so it should be more convenient. I definitely feel like I learned a thing or two in this thread. Thanks to all.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Stick with the Kanger dual coil heads for now.
The Mega is a great starter tank and a good utility tank for more experienced vapers. Easy to use. Easy to maintain. Just fill and go.
You chose a great set of gear to get your feet wet- heck, you may NEVER outgrow it.
Rebuilding has a pretty hefty learning curve- wait til you get more experience under your belt. It's easy to build coils that work- but it's the tiniest things that will trip you up

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Stick with the Kanger dual coil heads for now.
The Mega is a great starter tank and a good utility tank for more experienced vapers. Easy to use. Easy to maintain. Just fill and go.
You chose a great set of gear to get your feet wet- heck, you may NEVER outgrow it.
Rebuilding has a pretty hefty learning curve- wait til you get more experience under your belt. It's easy to build coils that work- but it's the tiniest things that will trip you up
So I take it that's a confirmation that the link I gave was to the right heads. That's not a bad price either, you may even find a better price but I think most agree you can trust 101Vape as a vendor.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I take it that's a confirmation that the link I gave was to the right heads. That's not a bad price either, you may even find a better price but I think most agree you can trust 101Vape as a vendor.
Yup. They are one of my go-to vendors

And yes, those are the right ones.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're never going to need another mod when you get into RDAs lol

That mod kicks the crap out of my FUhattan mech mod, but that's alright. I like mechs.:D

Anyway, your Sigelei is a regulated mod. It's quite a bit safer than mechs. It's also able to kick out more power than most mechs. This is a great setup and will serve you well as you get into vaping.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As mentioned above pair The batteries together and keep them together . I would use a marker and put A on two of them and B on the other two. This way you won't accidentally mix them up. Put in two fully charged batteries and use them until the low battery warning appears. Batteries have a limited number of charge cycles. With a 2 ohm Atty your batteries should last a long time.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, your mod won't need replaced any time soon. Use what you have for awhile. If and when you desire more from the tank, let us know what aspect of it's performance you want to improve on and we can help you figure out which direction to head in. For now, use identical matched batteries and experiment with flavors, pg/vg ratios and nic strengths of juices. You'll figure out what you do or don't like about the tank in time. Nice first setup.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
"Thanks guys! I feel a lot better about shelling out nearly $200 for my first set up, but I also didn't want to half ass anything."

Just a thought but, the amount you spend on gear doesnt necessarily reflect rather or not you half assed something...You may never use more than 10 watts on a basic simple tank..That being said, you could spend 30 dollars for a 10 or 15w device and still get the same quality vape experience you did having spent 100 dollars or more for a device....Should low gauge coils and sub ohm become your thing then you have power to do it with,which im now starting to understand, but its a very low percentage of vapers needing more than 30 watts.

Last edited:

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well when he upgrades he'll already been set. Why not?
Well because it's more expensive, bigger and heavier.
If he doesn't intend to use it's potential why bother and if he does why not buy a proper atomizer.

Lil T Flex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't particularly like the tank you chose, but it'll work until you get into rebuildables. I have the Sigelei 100+ and I hardly ever go over 85w so I personally think the 150's are a little overkill, but they have a good following already so have fun with it. Happy cloud chasing

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I wish I had started with a setup like that rather than wasting at least that much on poorly made e-go batteries that usually shit the bed after a couple weeks! I still have my aerotanks, they're a solid tank and my go to backups now.

I know it's been mentioned already but a subtank would work great on the 150W. The 0.5 ohm coils put out a really awesome vape and it's got the optional RBA deck for when you decide you're ready to try that out!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think it's an awesome first box. He won't have to upgrade for more power which means not spending more money and even if he never uses the power it still has two batteries which means great runtime. Especially at low power. How many people end up buying all kinds of stuff before finally getting something like that? I think he just saved himself a bunch of time researching 'what next' and in the end also saved money.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would also suggest the subtank over the aerotank. It would let you take advantage of some of that power a little more. also it comes with the rebuildable deck.

ETA: I have a sigelei 150 and am very happy with it!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You guys make good points about the tank recommendations, but since he just got his aerotank I think he'd be better off not getting anything else at the moment. It may do all he needs, he might decide after using it for awhile he wants to go straight to a proper rebuildable instead of getting a half breed, he might try a friends rda and decide to bail on tanks altogether, etc. I say use what you have for awhile before considering anything else. Making another atomizer purchase right now could very well result in ending up with two devices that just sit on the shelf.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's something to consider OP. I previously used an evod2 tank. It uses the same kanger bdc coil heads as the aerotank mega. I had the old style heads that were easily rebuilt. My son (he's of age btw) got my old mvp2 and recently purchased an aerotank mega. He came home from college one weekend and I got out my evod2 heads. We built them with a single 28g coil with a cotton wick and a cotton flavor wick on top of the coil. The way that custom coil head performs in the aerotank mega is freaking ridiculous. The vapor production and flavor is better than you would ever think was possible in that tank. Getting a couple old style heads and custom building them would maximize the performance of the tank you already have. It's also a good way to learn how to build coils before getting an atomizer that requires custom building. Due to the coil head design and the bottom coil configuration, getting it built and installed as well as wicking and performing properly is easier than it is with an actual rebuildable tank. That's how I transitioned into rebuilding and since you have a tank that takes the same coil heads I would highly recommend considering it. If you're interested I can provide more details.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Here's something to consider OP. I previously used an evod2 tank. It uses the same kanger bdc coil heads as the aerotank mega. I had the old style heads that were easily rebuilt. My son (he's of age btw) got my old mvp2 and recently purchased an aerotank mega. He came home from college one weekend and I got out my evod2 heads. We built them with a single 28g coil with a cotton wick and a cotton flavor wick on top of the coil. The way that custom coil head performs in the aerotank mega is freaking ridiculous. The vapor production and flavor is better than you would ever think was possible in that tank. Getting a couple old style heads and custom building them would maximize the performance of the tank you already have. It's also a good way to learn how to build coils before getting an atomizer that requires custom building. Due to the coil head design and the bottom coil configuration, getting it built and installed as well as wicking and performing properly is easier than it is with an actual rebuildable tank. That's how I transitioned into rebuilding and since you have a tank that takes the same coil heads I would highly recommend considering it. If you're interested I can provide more details.

Spot on...custom coil in a kanger anything pretty much wakes it up flavor and vapor wise...Evod is still my favorite tank at 1.8 ohm (microcoil) and 8 or 9 watts of power...works great on anything pretty much.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, it's a shame the greedy little assholes at kanger changed the coil head design. Can't have people rebuilding them. Oh no. Gotta make sure they're disposable so they keep buying more. I bought a few extra old ones when I found out they did that. Couple vendors still have the old style though.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Which coil heads arent rebuildable.?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The one on the left is the old style (v1) and are very easy to rebuild. The one on the right is the new style (v2). I've heard a few people say they rebuilt them, but it's a pain in the ass and doesn't perform near as well as a custom v1. I won't even screw with them.
uO9zPLu.jpg

jlruiz2k

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OP
I started with this about 6 months ago and started with the eGo battery and some generic tank then I got a vamo v5 then the iTaste SVD then I went for the vamo v9 (junk) also tanks, protank 3, iClear 30 and now I finally ordered (and should be home waiting for me) the Sigelei 150W, I got the Sub tank two weeks ago and love that thing. My point, with your setup you saved yourself a bunch of steps and money, you are set for the upgrade possibilities and you don't have to think about another mod for a long time. You did really good, it took me 6 months to get to where you are, Congrats!!

The way I justify the expense is that it was still allot cheaper than smoking :):D:cool:

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The way I justify the expense is that it was still allot cheaper than smoking :):D:cool:

This. Depending on how much you smoked. For me, at two packs of $5 Marlboros a day, that mod is less than I would spend on two weeks of cigarettes. Damn. I remember when I had three packs of cigarettes in my car at all times and got nervous and antsy when I had less than two packs on me at any one time.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been rebuilding kangers since PT1.
I don't use any of their products anymore, but i still remember it as a great improvement to the stock.

VU Sponsors