Become a Patron!

Broken Spring On Rig Mod Clone

Hunter Mason

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi guys. I have a ss rig mod clone and i have been running 20 gauge and it has been getting my mod very hot. So hot in fact that it warped my spring and then when i tried to fix it the spring broke in half. Do any of you guys know where i can get a new spring for it? I live around a lot of vape shops and no one seems to have the spring that I need. Any advice would be highly appreciated :)

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
ALso if your mod was getting hot enough to warp your spring you are pushing shortsville land.
Up the ohm a bit and tear down the mod and reclean it.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
you can also use copper wire to make your own spring. If your spring is to small, thin (which happens in clones), it can lead to conductivity problems. One of my mods would get hot when I used it, once I built a better spring the problem was solved. I used the center wire from an old coaxial cable to build mine.
Here is another video of a guy building a spring with wire from electrical wire.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
you can also use copper wire to make your own spring. If your spring is to small, thin (which happens in clones), it can lead to conductivity problems. One of my mods would get hot when I used it, once I built a better spring the problem was solved. I used the center wire from an old coaxial cable to build mine.
Here is another video of a guy building a spring with wire from electrical wire.

I tried doing that with the copper center wire from a regular coaxial cable. Made a spring no problem, but the wire was too thin to hold any weight.

Copper isn't very 'springy'. Brass is, but they don't use that in cables.

Hunter Mason

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
ALso if your mod was getting hot enough to warp your spring you are pushing shortsville land.
Up the ohm a bit and tear down the mod and reclean it.

Im kinda new to vaping and I am not sure what using the ohm means. Can you please explain?

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I tried doing that with the copper center wire from a regular coaxial cable. Made a spring no problem, but the wire was too thin to hold any weight.

Copper isn't very 'springy'. Brass is, but they don't use that in cables.
i had to make it a tall spring and push it together to shorten it, then it had more spring to it. Ide like to try some brass too.
I been tossing the idea of getting some of these to try out.
http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=brass+rod

Hunter Mason

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for all the help so far though guys, I appreciate it.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i had to make it a tall spring and push it together to shorten it, then it had more spring to it. Ide like to try some brass too.
I been tossing the idea of getting some of these to try out.
http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=brass rod

Nice.

I saw a nice brass one over at BBM, kinda pricey though.

http://www.bearbrassmods.com/BBM-SteamPunk-Custom-Switch-Spring_p_59.html

Then there is this: http://www.amazonsupply.com/dp/B000FNKL0Q

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
without an ohm reader you have zero idea if there is a short, what the resistance is and when sub ohming that could be the difference between a serious battery venting kaboom or enjoying a cloud.

Actually your spring melting was the indicator of a short.

Last edited:

Hunter Mason

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
without an ohm reader you have zero idea if there is a short, what the resistance is and when sub ohming that could be the difference between a serious battery venting kaboom or enjoying a cloud.

Actually your spring melting was the indicator of a short.

A short in the battery or the mod? It did not used to get hot before i did a 20 gauge build btw. Oh and I made the spring from a copper wire in a coaxial cable, work great but still gets hot after vaping like 5 hits.

Hunter Mason

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the videos on how to do it guys, it really helped me a lot, i couldn't find anywhere to buy a spring. I don't want to think the hotness is from what I think it might be from, which is- I went to go get my atty rebuild at a vape shop at the mall and he did a 20 gauge build for me and he gave me one of his personal batteries for free because i guess he has like 30 batteries, anyways, my mod started getting hot after the rebuild. I hope he didn't give me a fucked up battery that then fucked up my mod. Even when I use my MXJO high drains it gets hot after about 5 hits though. And also, are you supposed to fully drain your batteries until they are completely dead before recharging them? Thats what a guy told me at a vape shop. Thanks for any feedback on this.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Either or both.
The battery could be arcing, you are dumping voltage to the mod due to a defect or there is a short in the atty.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
not to mention....20g wire gets hot....thats a lot of surface area you are heating up. I would assume the top to get hot before the bottom, but if this is not the case, you might be pulling more amps than your battery can handle. Also, NO, do not fully drain your batteries. I would recomend rebuilding some coils with 26 gauge wire and seeing if your mod still handles the same. If it improves, you can lower the gauge step by step and or drop the ohms step by step to see where your mods comfort level is.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the videos on how to do it guys, it really helped me a lot, i couldn't find anywhere to buy a spring. I don't want to think the hotness is from what I think it might be from, which is- I went to go get my atty rebuild at a vape shop at the mall and he did a 20 gauge build for me and he gave me one of his personal batteries for free because i guess he has like 30 batteries, anyways, my mod started getting hot after the rebuild. I hope he didn't give me a fucked up battery that then fucked up my mod. Even when I use my MXJO high drains it gets hot after about 5 hits though. And also, are you supposed to fully drain your batteries until they are completely dead before recharging them? Thats what a guy told me at a vape shop. Thanks for any feedback on this.

Something is very wrong there.

1. "I went to go get my atty rebuild at a vape shop at the mall" is not a good sign.

2. No, you should never discharge a Li-Ion battery all of the way, it will kill it. Around 3.6v is a storage voltage and pretty safe. Over-discharging will greatly diminish your battery's health and lifespan as well.

3. IMHO, a newbie vaper should NEVER be given a pipe bomb like that. Learn to build, learn about mods and batteries and Ohm's Law. THEN, do the sub-ohm if you wish.

What battery is that you have? Very few batts can safely handle a build as low as what you describe.
Don't believe everything you hear at a vape shop. People lie about battery ratings, don't know or just don't care and want to sell shit. ;-)

Just because a battery label says XYZ, doesn't make it true either. The Chinese don't give fuck-all if we die. They will re-label battery pulls from old laptops, pop a shrink wrap on 'em and sell as new...

We aren't trying to sell you anything, except safe vaping habits. :)

Last edited:

Hunter Mason

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Something is very wrong there.

1. "I went to go get my atty rebuild at a vape shop at the mall" is not a good sign.

2. No, you should never discharge a Li-Ion battery all of the way, it will kill it. Around 3.6v is a storage voltage and pretty safe. Over-discharging will greatly diminish your battery's health and lifespan as well.

3. IMHO, a newbie vaper should NEVER be given a pipe bomb like that. Learn to build, learn about mods and batteries and Ohm's Law. THEN, do the sub-ohm if you wish.

What battery is that you have? Very few batts can safely handle a build as low as what you describe.
Don't believe everything you hear at a vape shop. People lie about battery ratings, don't know or just don't care and want to sell shit. ;-)

Just because a battery label says XYZ, doesn't make it true either. The Chinese don't give fuck-all if we die. They will re-label battery pulls from old laptops, pop a shrink wrap on 'em and sell as new...

We aren't trying to sell you anything, except safe vaping habits. :)

Thanks for the feed back. I am going to get it rebuilt in a hour or so and see if it doesn't get hot anymore. Btw, this is a very well known vape shop that I go to at the mall, there are 3 of them in San Diego (which is where I live) and they are the highest rated vape shop in all of SD. Ill let you guys know what happens after I get the rebuild. And again, thanks for all the feedback guys, my noobie ass appreciates it a lot.

Hunter Mason

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When I said there are 3 of them I meant there are 3 "vape kingz" locations in SD btw.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hunter seriously, steer clear of those fuckers for you own sanity and safety.
1. who rated these fucking waddling future darwin award winners?
2. set you up to fail
3. not worth a squirt of piss if they set themselves on fire from a retard of a mod and battery.

Seriously you should be hulk smash angry that they set you up for not just a fail but a FUCKING FAIL with an acid chaser.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wow first off.. anyone who uses z instead of an s in a company name and in malls is a sure fire promise they are fucktarded and don't know shit.

Hunter Mason

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You mean the ones that sell a $20 Nemmy clone for $70?

http://www.vapekingz.com/devices/clones/nemesis-mechanical-mod.html

Dat gansta...

That's them. They have alot more stuff at their stores including authentics. They have a "ragnarock" I believe it's called for 130$ and it is an authentic. But I'm now realizing that I paid 80$ for a rig clone that I could have got online for 30$. There just are not enough solid vape shops in SD I guess. I got a 22 gauge 5 wrap build from them today and it doesn't get hot anymore but it is not that milky. I'm going back there today and telling them that I want them to do a proper build for me for free or else me and my buddies will start spending our hard earned money elsewhere. Me and my friends have spent way too much cash there to continue going there for half ass work.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Dude learn to roll your own, serious they do not build for fucking SHIT.
24 is the max thickness ga you want period on that mech, it takes for fucking EVER to heat up.
6 wrap 24 and duals and you should be around .22 fogging your fucking face off.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's them. They have alot more stuff at their stores including authentics. They have a "ragnarock" I believe it's called for 130$ and it is an authentic. But I'm now realizing that I paid 80$ for a rig clone that I could have got online for 30$. There just are not enough solid vape shops in SD I guess. I got a 22 gauge 5 wrap build from them today and it doesn't get hot anymore but it is not that milky. I'm going back there today and telling them that I want them to do a proper build for me for free or else me and my buddies will start spending our hard earned money elsewhere. Me and my friends have spent way too much cash there to continue going there for half ass work.

Skol man...sorry if we seem harsh, but we rly do want the best for ya.

I don't think anyone is angry at YOU, we're pissed because of people taking advantage of new vapers.

You can't blame someone for things they don't know, but when someone who should know, like a vendor, teaches the wrong thing..that is shitty.

My first kit was $70 and was a 14650 E-power kit a long time ago. It was a good deal at the time and got me off cigs.

I was lucky, I hit the 'net first and researched, asked people I trusted stuff before I ever bought anything.
There were no vape stores here then..heh.

Glad ya found us. The future is gonna be Vape...:)

Last edited:

Hunter Mason

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got back home a hour ago or so with a new build. I got 22 gauge 6 wraps and I couldn't be happier. It does not get hot at all and milks like a mofo. The guy who did it is one out of the 7 guys who actually knows his shit and has won a few cloud comps and frequents vape cons. I appreciate all the advice, and I know you guys are not pissed at me haha. I totally agree about how they should have never done a 20 gauge build for me. Out of the 7 guys who work there, only 1 of the guys are very sophisticated when it comes to vaping, and i just so happened to go there tonight when one of them were there. He straight up told me that the other guys don't know their shit and gave me a free rebuild and a free juice tonight. I just gotta go there when Jose is working.

Hunter Mason

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Honestly you are damned lucky the battery did not go into thermal run away and vent/kaboom on you.

Thank god. I finally got my teeth straight too. Last thing I want right now is dentures and a fake jaw lol.

Hunter Mason

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just turned 18 too. That would of ended vaping for me forsure. Does that really happen to people? And if so, what is the damage?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just turned 18 too. That would of ended vaping for me forsure. Does that really happen to people? And if so, what is the damage?

Well...

That is a laptop, but you get the idea...same sorts of 18650 cells are in that laptop as your PV.

Not very controlled 18650:

I've never had a batt fully vent, but I have a mech mod auto-fire due to weak magnets, bad springs, etc. It'll fire until the battery dies or something makes it die, like a fire.

Luckily, I had a solid copper mod that absorbed/vented most of the heat away from the battery and I was using VTC3 and Samsung 25R batteries.

The mod got too hot to pick up, juice boiled, I had to use a cloth to quickly undo the cap and pitch the battery far away from me. The only good way to contain a Li-Ion fire is a bucket of sand.

Last edited:

Hunter Mason

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well...

That is a laptop, but you get the idea...same sorts of 18650 cells are in that laptop as your PV.

Not very controlled 18650:

I've never had a batt fully vent, but I have a mech mod auto-fire due to weak magnets, bad springs, etc. It'll fire until the battery dies or something makes it die, like a fire.

Luckily, I had a solid copper mod that absorbed/vented most of the heat away from the battery and I was using VTC3 and Samsung 25R batteries.

The mod got too hot to pick up, juice boiled, I had to use a cloth to quickly undo the cap and pitch the battery far away from me. The only good way to contain a Li-Ion fire is a bucket of sand.

But basically it won't just blow up in my face with no warning right? It would start making a sound first and leak fluid? Your scaring me haha.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
But basically it won't just blow up in my face with no warning right? It would start making a sound first and leak fluid? Your scaring me haha.

Not normally, no. Old batts from before the IMR/INR 'safe chemistry' era like ICR's, yeah they could.

You should have a healthy respect for electric power. Not fear, but always respect it. :)

That is why we were concerned about the getting hot stuff...it is a sign of problems that could lead to a thermal runaway. That heat comes from somewhere....if not the atty....

Sure, mods and atties can get warm with use, but HOT...no.

No battery can withstand a dead short, and with super-low sub-ohms, yer pushing that envelope.

Last edited:

Hunter Mason

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not normally, no. Old batts from before the IMR/INR 'safe chemistry' era like ICR's, yeah they could.

You should have a healthy respect for electric power. Not fear, but always respect it. :)

That is why we were concerned about the getting hot stuff...it is a sign of problems that could lead to a thermal runaway. That heat comes from somewhere....if not the atty....

No battery can withstand a dead short, and with super-low sub-ohms, yer pushing that envelope.

Thanks man, and... GO HAWKS!

Hunter Mason

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You get a hot mod leaking like that most people will throw water on it.. it would be ultra BAD.

If that ever happens to me I'm chucking that shit off the balcony lol

Hunter Mason

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I have been trying to upload a pic of the Seahawks tattoo I just got but it says file size is too large :/ ...

Hi guys. I have a ss rig mod clone and i have been running 20 gauge and it has been getting my mod very hot. So hot in fact that it warped my spring and then when i tried to fix it the spring broke in half. Do any of you guys know where i can get a new spring for it? I live around a lot of vape shops and no one seems to have the spring that I need. Any advice would be highly appreciated :)
I'm guessing you've already figured this out, but your mod is arching. Tiny differences in your uneven threading on that clone of yours is causing electricity to gap a small distance and thus heat up. There's videos on YouTube to fix this, but consider using 24g. I run a 24g parallel 4 wrap as my every day build.. It chucks clouds and does not get hot from chain vaping. Does run your battery quick though. Have a nice day!

VU Sponsors