Become a Patron!

BTW!!

VapinSteveO

Member For 1 Year
Is all cotton organic? and when you first wick your coils does it all have a strange taste till its broke in.. an does the thickness of the cotton in the coil change how much flavor you get. I cant get my Vandy Vape Triple v2 to taste as good as my GF Smok Prince Stick TFV12. So figured Id ask.. Im using Demon Coils 8in1 temporary an till my package of AVS coils.. Also im using WiZaRD WiCKs.

-VapinSteveo-

yvaiwhy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is all cotton organic? and when you first wick your coils does it all have a strange taste till its broke in.. an does the thickness of the cotton in the coil change how much flavor you get. I cant get my Vandy Vape Triple v2 to taste as good as my GF Smok Prince Stick TFV12. So figured Id ask.. Im using Demon Coils 8in1 temporary an till my package of AVS coils.. Also im using WiZaRD WiCKs.

-VapinSteveo-

Maybe not all cotton are organic, some cottons are blends like one comes with cotton and hemp fibers. As far as the weird cotton taste, I use 100% Rayon and it’s a easier break in. Handles really high temps too. As for the thickness, it depends on how thick the juice is as well. The taste could vary depending on wire type, build, surface area and wattage combined with the amount of air flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Is all cotton organic?
No

and when you first wick your coils does it all have a strange taste till its broke in

Some do, some do not, some more than others. Its called break in. Cotton Bacon Prime breaks in fastest - like after the first draw

Some like cellulose/rayon - I can't stand it personally, but some love it

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, all cotton isn't organic. I honestly have my doubts that what type of fertilizer was used, or whether chemical pesticides were used during the growth stage of the plant or not are really going to be discernable to us when it comes to taste, but it may very well be best to go organic when possible.

With that in mind, wicking takes practice regardless and doing it suboptimally will most certainly have a negative impact on flavor, among other things.

Keep practicing. If cotton, be sure it's not too tight in the coil as it tends to swell once wet. Not too loose either though, as that will hinder it's ability to get juice to the coil. I suggest just twisting the end and pulling it through (instead if rolling it between your palms or anything) and make sure there is just a slight amount of friction between cotton and coil when doing so. Also, once you wick it and juice it, use a tool to make sure the tails aren't crowding the outside of the coil. You want that incoming airflow to flow around the exterior of the coil with ease.

Fwiw, Rayon tends to shrink when wet, so if you happen to give it a try, wick it it more tightly inside the coil for best results.

And don't forget to wash your hands before building and or wicking. Hand oils and dirt make for a gross vape.

Last edited:

VapinSteveO

Member For 1 Year
I have a VandyVape Triple v2 an Ijoy pd270 I have been using Demon killer coils. Usally clapton or fused clapton but tried them all. I usally run 2 coils around 50-60 watts.. i
I dont think my coils can handle high wattage..

-VapinSteveo-

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've always thought "organic" was one of those hype words fit only to induce people to shell out more bucks than anyone could find sensible. "Organic cotton" is an exception, strangely enough.

I didn't find anything actually unpleasant about regular cotton, such as what you find in plain old cotton balls. Then I got some organic cotton balls... and suddenly, I could actually taste my ejuice. I stuck with that for a while, perfectly happy, then someone PIFed me some japanese organic-cotton pads to try... KGD isn't bad, but Shiseido is MILES better. Very little break in time at all... and @UncleRJ shared a tip for getting past that in an amazingly short time -- after you first build your coil, or after you dry-burn it, give it a short pulse and drip some ejuice directly on the hot coil once or twice, THEN wick it, and prime the new wick with enough juice to really soak it... Naturally you start at much lower than normal wattage with a new wick, but by the time you take 1-3 hits, the [very mild] cotton taste is GONE.

The cotton pads are excellent because the cotton is combed until all the fibers are aligned -- which has a TREMENDOUSLY good effect on capillary ("wicking") action -- definitely a good thing for y'all using that horribly thick high-VG because that shit is hard to wick, it's so thick. I prefer Shiseido not just because it has a much shorter break-in than KGD, but because it's pure white with zero flecks, so you can easily tell when it's time to re-wick. With KGD, the color is beige, and there are a lot of black flecks in it, so it's hard to know if the wick needs replacing or it's just the natural coloration of the cotton when wet.

Andria

VapinSteveO

Member For 1 Year
The 2 coils are triple fused claptons 3id 7wraps I belive i got an says .17ohm with 2 in. I can tell a major differnce with flavor so far.. going to grab some differnt juice n a bit..

-VapinSteveo-

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not particularly familiar with that tank in particular, but if your wicking is on point I'd expect no problems vaping between 80-120 watts on those coils, assuming the airflow can keep up.

Not to say you HAVE to go that high. If you can get away with being content at a lower wattage all the better as it will mean just that much longer between battery recharges, but that build should be able to handle some wattage, no problem.

VapinSteveO

Member For 1 Year
Well im seeming to have better flavor havent turned it up past 50 or so yet. Im going to pick up some new cotton an differnt juice today. Also does those ceramic tweezers help for makin the coils heat up from the center. Ive been using metal needle nose..Im careful not hit the power button. I was going to grab a pair of those today if u think they help..

-VapinSteveo-

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on ceramic tweezers unless you get into non-regulated mechanical mods. (which frankly, you shouldn't unless you learn literally everything about battery safety, safe resistances, building practices, etc)

Everyone seems to break the tips, and they're just not necessary for building on a regulated mod in my opinion. I use metal tweezers with no issue. Even if you were to dead short the atomizer with them and press the button, the chipset inside will keep anything really bad from happening. Still best to try to avoid doing that, but it's not going to blow up in your face like a mech mod might.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a VandyVape Triple v2 an Ijoy pd270 I have been using Demon killer coils. Usally clapton or fused clapton but tried them all. I usally run 2 coils around 50-60 watts.. i
I dont think my coils can handle high wattage..

-VapinSteveo-
I've got 3 fused clapton in my triple v2 and run it at 93 watts

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on ceramic tweezers unless you get into non-regulated mechanical mods. (which frankly, you shouldn't unless you learn literally everything about battery safety, safe resistances, building practices, etc)

Everyone seems to break the tips, and they're just not necessary for building on a regulated mod in my opinion. I use metal tweezers with no issue. Even if you were to dead short the atomizer with them and press the button, the chipset inside will keep anything really bad from happening. Still best to try to avoid doing that, but it's not going to blow up in your face like a mech mod might.

Mine ARRIVED with one of the points broken! I used them once to compress a coil, then found that I really didn't like the concentrated heat of compressed coils, and once you compress it WHILE it's actually firing, they're fused, you'll never get the wraps separated again. They're been useful for this or that, but probably not the $13-worth I spent for them.

I really prefer a spaced-wrap coil; easier to see if there's a bunch of gunk in the wick inside the coil, and easier to get the gunk out when you dry-burn the coil... and they're not so damn hot!!! If I really wanted ignition temp, I could have just kept smoking. :facepalm:

Andria

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Well im seeming to have better flavor havent turned it up past 50 or so yet. Im going to pick up some new cotton an differnt juice today. Also does those ceramic tweezers help for makin the coils heat up from the center. Ive been using metal needle nose..Im careful not hit the power button. I was going to grab a pair of those today if u think they help..

-VapinSteveo-

I am a firm believer in ceramic tweezers. The white tipped ones typical of vaping are usually brittle garbage as others have mentioned. You can get these sets of 3 on Amazon for about $10. they are black and work pretty well. Also on Amazon is a brand called Drok and they make a high temp ceramic tweezers that works tremendously well. Links to Amazon dont work very well for me. Long link posted below.

VapinSteveO

Member For 1 Year
Does your triple v2 have good flavor an so on.. It seems to have different flavor then My gfs SMOk. going to have to buy a cloud king eventually or something similar, like the smok atomizers just not into payin for the coils all the time.. But havent tried one on a regulated mod to see if itll last longer. Some people I talk to aay theull last a month or so. I do like the SMOK flavor from them. Is most COiL setups like that have better flavor. Or is it just a trial an error for RTA?? thanks for all your help..

-VapinSteveo-

VapinSteveO

Member For 1 Year
Yeah I grabed some cermaic tweezers Ill play with them a little bit later. I thought possibly the genie chip thing would protect that woth the metal plyers but was also worried.. Ive read where the IJoy pd270 did blow up but the person said it was on the edge of is table by is night stand it randomly turned on an started heatin ul.. But havent had no problems like that from mine..hard saying what happend there.I havent put no upgrades on my ijoy not sure for reason I know theres an auto shut off after 5min which seems nice.

-VapinSteveo-

VapinSteveO

Member For 1 Year
So you can also run the coils slightly open a little on ech wrap? Ive been taking a little metal sissors an openin each little wrap puttin minor space then just move it a little togerher wiith needle nose plyers an squezze then together. Seem no one told me any of this. An I dont really hang out with other vapors or people for that matter..

-VapinSteveo-

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So you can also run the coils slightly open a little on ech wrap? Ive been taking a little metal sissors an openin each little wrap puttin minor space then just move it a little togerher wiith needle nose plyers an squezze then together. Seem no one told me any of this. An I dont really hang out with other vapors or people for that matter..

-VapinSteveo-

Why would you separate them... and then squeeze them back together??? That makes no sense at all.

A compressed coil used to be called a "microcoil" for some odd reason; then it got very anal and people were all "oh it can only be this large an inner-diameter for a micro-coil", blah blah blah. Now with coils that look like jewelry rather than a functional heating element, I'm not sure what the point of compressing them is, except maybe just to make them fit in the atomizer? Spaced wraps keep the vape a bit cooler, allow better airflow all thru the coil, allow you to see when gunk has built up in the wick inside the coil, and may have longer usable life due to distributing the heat more evenly across the coil rather than concentrating it right in one spot, tending to prevent hotspots. But the differences are pretty minor, to be honest. I prefer spaced wraps due to the extreme gunking of my ejuice, and because I prefer a cool vape. If you wanna feel like you're giving a satan a BJ, by all means, compress those puppies. :D

Andria

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And oh yeah, forgot to add, if you're using stainless wire, the spaced wraps are always recommended; apparently stainless is more prone to hotspots than kanthal is, and as mentioned, spaced wraps help to prevent that.

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I am a firm believer in ceramic tweezers. The white tipped ones typical of vaping are usually brittle garbage as others have mentioned. You can get these sets of 3 on Amazon for about $10. they are black and work pretty well. Also on Amazon is a brand called Drok and they make a high temp ceramic tweezers that works tremendously well. Links to Amazon dont work very well for me. Long link posted below.

I am too

I prefer a cool vape. If you wanna feel like you're giving a satan a BJ, by all means, compress those puppies.

:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I totally forgot about their helpfulness in making fused coils. I don't do them very often, but if it's your thing then I can see them as being helpful.

Good to know that the black tipped units are more durable as well. I was unaware, and had heard just a few too many stories about the other ones falling apart to want to suggest them to anyone.

Love the information in this place.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I totally forgot about their helpfulness in making fused coils. I don't do them very often, but if it's your thing then I can see them as being helpful.

Good to know that the black tipped units are more durable as well. I was unaware, and had heard just a few too many stories about the other ones falling apart to want to suggest them to anyone.

Love the information in this place.

Its really all in how you use them. Even the shitty white ones will last a long time if used for their intended purpose only. Its when they start getting used to push coils in place, bend cold coils into shape and so forth that they start to get broken. They are a high temp item, meant to be used while the coil is hot.

VU Sponsors