Become a Patron!

Burning coils faster than cigs

I have a 200s and use the q4. I prime for a couple hours and slow jump it throughout the day to about 65w. By night fall I have a burnt coil. I only vape 2-3 puffs in a twenty minute period. I am spending more money now then I did when I smoked. So irritated. Please help!

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Open the air flow more or reduce the wattage. If you are getting burnt coils at 65W you either dont have enough air cooling the coil or to much power going to the coil for the amount of air you are vaping to cool them.

Also, if this didnt help, can you post a photo showing your coil and wick if possible. It's hard to tell from the vendor sites.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not giving us much info but if your talking about the Smok Q4 for the baby beast I find 40 watts right and 65 would burn them.

Airflow is open all the way and the coil rating is 40-140w .15 ohm. I did notice the 510 gets really hot. Maybe that's the issue.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
SMOK BB would be Q2 @0.4ohms, or X4 @ 0.15ohms. I've found 65w to be the upper limit for both. 50-60w works best for me.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
None of the Baby Beast coils are rated to 140w. And the Q4 Cloud Beast coils are rated 50-180w, best 90-150w. So I don't know what coil you're using.

crazy nick

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I ran into the same problem with g-priv/baby beast. I came to the conclusion that i was burning too long and not pulling hard enough. I essentually was over heating them. Running t8 @60w. Now i have airflow open and only burn for 2 sec. They last a week now instead of a day lol

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
All in, I would agree on reducing (P) watts, swapping out to higher (R) oHm coil/s. Yes sub ohm -ing is a wonderful and great thing to enjoy. Still, as with all good things, there exists a point where too much is too much.

Try looking for coils that get you around 0.40 (R) oHm or above. That's the "safe" mark I aim for in building my own coils. Yes, I might be able to theoretically go down to a 0.20 (R) oHm coil set up but I don't enjoy making my batteries into toast, nor do I enjoy that much risk in sucking on a possible pipe bomb using a mech.

Apologies if i come over as being a bit insulting or demeaning of you, your intellect. That is not my intention, rather, I'm trying to offer you sane advice which might save your life or the life/lives of others around you. I note also you're using a regulated mod, that also defrays my advice a bit. You can do a lower (R) oHm rating possibly and get by doing so. Still, ... I would be real cautious & possibly heed some advice from experience.

Many of us here on this forum and other vaping forums have seen far too much, well, stupidity to blame over actual mechanical flaw to blame for some nasty accidents / tragedies. That does not deny that gear can be flawed. Yes it can be. Why then tempt further danger being possible by acting irresponsibly, dumb? That's my point of view, a humble opinion, ask others. Think you'll find enough to agree with my view.

SMOK BB would be Q2 @0.4ohms, or X4 @ 0.15ohms.

*nods* Gotcha. :) Possibly a misunderstanding in the reading, one end or another. If I misread, it's mere words I eat and an apology offered. Rather that over someone going boom.

What juice you running? Some juice has a pile of sweeteners in it that will destroy coils...

Yep, there is that for considering too. Also what's the PG/VG ratio of the juice, the season, the phase of the moon, barometric pressure, color of his shirt, the price of a good black tea in China, which night of Calvin Ball it is .... :)

I ran into the same problem with g-priv/baby beast. I came to the conclusion that i was burning too long and not pulling hard enough. I essentually was over heating them. Running t8 @60w. Now i have airflow open and only burn for 2 sec. They last a week now instead of a day lol

Naaaaah, it's never, ever, ever the user's fault. ;) :p

Why just this evening I had the cursed Rayon wick in my Narda burn up on my squonker. That stuff is so blasted cheap, always burning right up, every time I use it. *chuckles* Not. I had forgotten to squonk and give the wick enough juice to not burn up. Been squonking long enough now, I ought to know better. I'll blame the axiom, "poop happens", or the early onset of "Old Timer's" disease. *grin* Both are just as likely in my case. *nods*

Last edited:

VU Sponsors