Become a Patron!

Burning cotton

Dawg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im new to this vaping thing and I have heard stories about if you vape burnt cotton then you're vaping formaldehyde? Is this true?? If so how can I tell if my cotton is burnt or stop it from burning? I have a mech mod with a sub ohm tank and mutation v4 rda

Dawg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
On my tank I have a .2 ohm coil and my friend said im getting a throat hit because I need to break it in. Is this true?

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On my tank I have a .2 ohm coil and my friend said im getting a throat hit because I need to break it in. Is this true?
Not sure what you mean by that. I have a Smok GCT with 0.2 ohm coils. Haven't used it since I shifted to RTAs (I have a Lemo Drop, Aqua, Fogger, and Mini Big Buddha). I like to be able to look at my cotton and my build, not wonder if the cotton is plugged up.
If you're getting dry hits, your juice might be high VG. Or you're not priming your coil, or you're over vaping. Try different things to figure out the best way to operate the thing.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
throat hit will be affected by the watts you're vaping at, the nic level, the nic quality, the flavor

Dawg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its a herkales sub ohm tank on my mech mod and im using dr.fog max vg juice

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its a herkales sub ohm tank on my mech mod and im using dr.fog max vg juice
Yep, could be the max VG juice...but the juice holes on the Herakles coil looks large enough to accommodate max VG. Try the Herakles on a VW mod at 10 watts, work your way up and see how that works. And be sure to prime your coil before screwing it into the base.
herakles_coil4.jpg

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Honestly, there is no need to worry about getting formaldehyde from burnt cotton.
It's hardly as bad as the media would have you believe.

http://www.formaldehydefacts.org
All organic life forms--bacteria, plants, fish, animals and humans--make formaldehyde at various levels. Formaldehyde does not accumulate in the environment or within plants, animals or people, as metabolic processes quickly break it down in the body and the atmosphere.

American Cancer Society - http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/intheworkplace/formaldehyde
Formaldehyde is normally made in the body. Enzymes in the body break down formaldehyde into formate (formic acid), which can be further broken down into carbon dioxide. Most inhaled formaldehyde is broken down by the cells lining the mouth, nose, throat, and airways, so that less than a third is absorbed into the blood.

Lab Animal Studies:
Exposure to formaldehyde has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory test animals.
In rats, inhaled formaldehyde was linked to cancers of the nasal cavity and leukemia. In one study of rats given drinking water containing formaldehyde there was an increase in stomach tumors, while another showed no increase in any kind of tumor or cancer.

In mice, applying a 10% solution of formaldehyde to the skin was linked to quicker development of cancers caused by another chemical.

Studies in people:
In one study, inhaling formaldehyde at levels at a concentration of 1.9 parts per million (ppm) for 40 minutes did not increase blood levels of formaldehyde.

Several epidemiology studies of people exposed to formaldehyde in the workplace have reported a link between formaldehyde exposure and cancer of the nasopharynx (the uppermost part of the throat), but this outcome has not been observed in other studies. These studies looked at workers in occupational setting that use or make formaldehyde and formaldehyde resins, as well as at people who work as embalmers.

Studies of people exposed to formaldehyde in the workplace have also found a possible link to cancer of the nasal sinuses.

Several studies have found that embalmers and medical professionals that use formaldehyde have an increased risk of leukemia, particularly myeloid leukemia. Some studies of industrial workers exposed to formaldehyde have also found increased risks of leukemia, but not all studies have shown an increased risk.

Studies looking at the link between workplace exposure to formaldehyde and other types of cancer have not found a consistent link.

Dawg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yep, could be the max VG juice...but the juice holes on the Herakles coil looks large enough to accommodate max VG. Try the Herakles on a VW mod at 10 watts, work your way up and see how that works. And be sure to prime your coil before screwing it into the base.
View attachment 22743
How do I prime it before screwing it in??

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Honestly, there is no need to worry about getting formaldehyde from burnt cotton.
It's hardly as bad as the media would have you believe.

http://www.formaldehydefacts.org
All organic life forms--bacteria, plants, fish, animals and humans--make formaldehyde at various levels. Formaldehyde does not accumulate in the environment or within plants, animals or people, as metabolic processes quickly break it down in the body and the atmosphere.

American Cancer Society - http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/intheworkplace/formaldehyde
Formaldehyde is normally made in the body. Enzymes in the body break down formaldehyde into formate (formic acid), which can be further broken down into carbon dioxide. Most inhaled formaldehyde is broken down by the cells lining the mouth, nose, throat, and airways, so that less than a third is absorbed into the blood.

Lab Animal Studies:
Exposure to formaldehyde has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory test animals.
In rats, inhaled formaldehyde was linked to cancers of the nasal cavity and leukemia. In one study of rats given drinking water containing formaldehyde there was an increase in stomach tumors, while another showed no increase in any kind of tumor or cancer.

In mice, applying a 10% solution of formaldehyde to the skin was linked to quicker development of cancers caused by another chemical.

Studies in people:
In one study, inhaling formaldehyde at levels at a concentration of 1.9 parts per million (ppm) for 40 minutes did not increase blood levels of formaldehyde.

Several epidemiology studies of people exposed to formaldehyde in the workplace have reported a link between formaldehyde exposure and cancer of the nasopharynx (the uppermost part of the throat), but this outcome has not been observed in other studies. These studies looked at workers in occupational setting that use or make formaldehyde and formaldehyde resins, as well as at people who work as embalmers.

Studies of people exposed to formaldehyde in the workplace have also found a possible link to cancer of the nasal sinuses.

Several studies have found that embalmers and medical professionals that use formaldehyde have an increased risk of leukemia, particularly myeloid leukemia. Some studies of industrial workers exposed to formaldehyde have also found increased risks of leukemia, but not all studies have shown an increased risk.

Studies looking at the link between workplace exposure to formaldehyde and other types of cancer have not found a consistent link.

Awesome post full of good info...bookmarked for the "help" section to reference...Thank you for taking the time to right this all out :)

VU Sponsors