Become a Patron!

Burning through coils

Acvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got the eleaf istick 50w. Had the atlantis v1 with new .5 on it yesterday and day before running 35w-40w. Coil burnt in 2 days. Switched to my arctic tank with new .2 coil at 6pm today. Running 40-45w..4 hours later. Coils are burnt. What the hecks going on? I don't let it run low on juice at all and dont chain hit it. Could it be my 50w mod burning my coils? I bought it used from a guy like a wk ago and have been using 28 days vape or dead shriners e juice

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi, and welcome to VU. Are you priming your coils? Maybe start out at a lower wattage and work your way up to the "sweet spot".

Acvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi, and welcome to VU. Are you priming your coils? Maybe start out at a lower wattage and work your way up to the "sweet spot".

Yes i wet the coil and let it sit and prime for 30 minutes then start low wattage and work my way up

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have you vaped those juices before? There are some juices that will cause your coils to gunk up much faster than others. I'm not familiar with those so I can't say one way or the other but that might be a possibility.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Have you vaped those juices before? There are some juices that will cause your coils to gunk up much faster than others. I'm not familiar with those so I can't say one way or the other but that might be a possibility.
I was thinking the same.

Dark and sweet eJuice likes to gunk up coils rather quick.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes i wet the coil and let it sit and prime for 30 minutes then start low wattage and work my way up
Don't need to take 30 minutes to prime a coil. Toss the coil in, and just screw the base + coil (no tank) into the mod. Drip onto the juice holes and down the center, keep rotating until you see it not soaking in quickly. Then just click your fire button a few times, you don't want to actually fire it just very quick pulses, it'll heat the juice for better saturation without burning anything (might get a tiny bit of vapor). Add more juice until it's fully saturated. Then give it a couple seconds of firing while you blow the vapor away, repeat this last step once or twice, then put it back together and fill.

If you go overboard on the saturating you may have to clean out the airflow, but it should only take a minute or two to prime a coil... at least that's how I do it and I've never had issues outside of using max VG on the Atlantis coils, which they just simply couldn't handle it seemed.

Acvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Guess it could be my juices they're max/high vg juices

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Guess it could be my juices they're max/high vg juices
It shouldn't be the VG/PG ratio! I'm using DIY eJuice, that's anywhere between 80-90+ VG, without any problems in my tanks. However, although not familiar with the tanks you use, those tanks might need eJuice with a bit more PG.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Try sticking a needle into the coil at various locations, and fluff the cotton a little with a needle, so the cotton is sticking out of the metal housing ever so slightly. The old Atlantis tanks seemed to work best with 50-50 juice.

mrmoodz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Atlantis v1 and istick 50w was one of my first setups when I started vaping.

I recommend 50/50 to 70/30 vg/pg for it. I recommend 27 to 32 watts on the coils and to make sure you are taking hard pulls when vaping.

If the coils aren't getting enough air, you will get dry hits for sure.

Did you figure out what the problem was? I have an Eleaf 50w and a kangertech top fill, and burn out the coils every two days it seems. Usually I'm running a .5 coil (15-60W) at 20–29W. Right now I have a 1.2 10-26w coil in that I was running at 16W and it just blew. Juices i use are sometimes 50/50, but usually 70-30.

The iStick seems to misfire sometimes, or just randomly shut off mid drag. Is it possible, the battery is just frying the coils? I don't think Im doing anything otherwise to burn it out.

I've switched to the Joytech Cubis Pro and haven't had any problems since. The kanger tanks really suck and the bottom vents always end up leaking. Cubis tanks are top vented and have worked great for me so far.

Did you figure out what the problem was? I have an Eleaf 50w and a kangertech top fill, and burn out the coils every two days it seems. Usually I'm running a .5 coil (15-60W) at 20–29W. Right now I have a 1.2 10-26w coil in that I was running at 16W and it just blew. Juices i use are sometimes 50/50, but usually 70-30.

The iStick seems to misfire sometimes, or just randomly shut off mid drag. Is it possible, the battery is just frying the coils? I don't think Im doing anything otherwise to burn it out.
I would try a Joytech Cubis or Cubis Pro only about $20 and top vented.

VU Sponsors