Become a Patron!

Burnt Coils/ Chemical Taste

Hi Everyone!

I'm fairly new to vaping, ~2 months, and it has help me quit smoking completely! I purchased a Sigelei 90W Spark starter kit at my local vape shop. It came with the mod, tank, Kanthal coil and nickel coil. Those coils lasted about 3 weeks each. When the nickel coil started tasting burnt I switched back to Kanthal because I preferred to control the power rather than the temp. I found it taste better. I purchased a box of 5 replacement coils, kanthal 0.5ohm.

I'm still fairly new, but I feel confident that I can prime the coils properly. I removed the old coil and put in the new. Then I soak the cotton at the top and the cotton on sides. Next I fill the tank about 7/8 of the way full and put it back on and let the whole thing rest for about 15 minutes. After that I take some dry pulls before starting it off low, around 10w. After a few pulls, I'll bump it up to 15w and then 20w etc until I get to the power I like for whatever juice I'm vaping. Some juices I like around 30w others taste best around 55w. I've never vaped it higher than that.

My question is with this new box of coils, each one is lasting less and less. The first coil was fine for about 4 days. Then I started getting a burnt/chemical taste that wouldn't go away. I switched to a new coil, drained and cleaned the tank, and primed it like I always have using a different juice. It started out just fine, but after 2 days, I got the harsh chemical/burnt taste again. The next two coils lasted about a day. Finally, I took my rig back to the vape shop with the final coil and told them what was going on. They said I wasn't priming it properly and using too thin of a juice (65/35). I had the guy there prime it with my last coil and a 20/80 I have from Mt. Baker Vapor (Beast Treats). He primed it exactly like I did and told me it should be fine. I vaped it in the shop for about 15 minutes and all was well.

About an hour later I got the same thing, it was harsh and tasted like burnt chemicals. Now the vape shop is closed and I can't show it to them. The liquid I used is a light yellow, but the cotton around the coil is black. It's still saturated. The cotton around the sides is well saturated and still white/yellow. I can't figure out what is going on

I love vaping, but at this rate I went through $20 worth of coils and a decent amount of juice in a roughly a week and didn't get much out of it except frustration. Any help would be much appreciated!! (and yes, I did change my rig back to power setting when using the kanthal coils. I double and triple checked it!)

I should mention that on this last coil, I never fired it higher than 30w. If I let it sit for about 15 minutes I can get one good pull on it that tastes like it should before it goes back to the burnt taste.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you might have a mild case of vapors tongue. either diy some strong spearmint/peppermint juice or buy some. mints tend to clear me up real fast. i also do a blend of stevia english toffee with VG & nic.. (i actually like it quite a bit,, even without VT)..

can you scrape clean your coils? or burn them clean? is your cotton too tight? maybe you need fresh cotton more often,, just throwing out some of the issues i ran into

best of luck to you

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think it's vapor's tongue simply because the vapor itself (i don't have a better way to describe this) tastes like fire and literally hurts to be in my mouth even though the vapor is cold. I've tried switching up juices to change flavor and its the same.

I don't think there's any way I can clean it. They're premade Sigelei brand coils. I asked at the vape shop about that, and they said they aren't cleanable, just put in a new one when one goes bad.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think it's vapor's tongue simply because the vapor itself (i don't have a better way to describe this) tastes like fire and literally hurts to be in my mouth even though the vapor is cold. I've tried switching up juices to change flavor and its the same.

I don't think there's any way I can clean it. They're premade Sigelei brand coils. I asked at the vape shop about that, and they said they aren't cleanable, just put in a new one when one goes bad.
Seems like the cotton or coil is burning up quick on you. Could be that pack of coils were bad or they are clones.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think vapors tongue is the culprit, sounds like bad coils. One thing you will find in the world of replacement coils is the inconsistency in quality. Just about every tank I've owned (I've owned / own a lot) has given me a bad batch of coils somewhere along the way, save the Herakles Plus. Sounds like you are doing everything right in terms of priming and you are not vaping at some crazy high wattage... Is the juice you are using heavy on the sweeteners? There are some juices, like One Hit Wonder for example, that are coil killers... Unfortunelty, your best bet is to pick up a new pack of coils and hope for the best.

@BillW50, thank you for posting that video! I do prime my coils like that and really let them soak and puff on them at really low wattage for a while to really break them in. I did learn something tho, I was always advised to soak the cotton on the side. Knowing that I can only prime the top cotton and watch for the side to get saturated is great!

@skt239, my favorite juice is super sweet, Alpha Vapes "The Dude" but I've never had a problem with it before. The issue started with a Mt. Baker product called "Beast Treats." I'm not sure if they have sweeteners or not. I did end up finding a spare coil (same type and brand) and I primed it and I'm currently a happy camper! I've saved all the burned up coils and I'll see if my local shop will give me a replacement for the bad product.

Also of good/bad news: I was so jonesing for a vape that I went out a bought a pack of Marlboro Lights. That's the bad news. Good news: I smoke two of them and they tasted like fucking ass. I have NO desire to smoke analogs at all anymore, and I was a half-a-pack daily smoker for years. I no longer desired a cigarette after two days of vaping. The two I had today will be my last forever!

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dude, I love the Dude. Not many people seem to know about it or they don't like it. I wouldn't count on getting a replacement for your coil, probably best to chalk it up to experience and enjoy the working coil.

Glad everything worked out and kudos on your good taste :)

BigCryBaby

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
To blow out a coil that fast sounds like the wattage is to high or chain vaping can cause your problem. Once I seat in a coil it lasts 3 weeks or so. However, I am a fan of Kanger and Eleaf products. I do have your tank on order from FastTech. After I get it I will let you know what happens.
Matt

VU Sponsors