Become a Patron!

Burnt cotton taste/smell

Hi guys,

my name is Vincent and I'm new to this forum and vaping in general. I just ordered my first mech mod (Sir Lancelot) and RDA (Plumeveil v2) and I've been building coils and wicking for the past week or so.

However, I've yet to get that nice taste and nice vapor everyone is talking about because everytime I build, whether it be single or dual coil, I get a taste/smell of burnt cotton. I did a lot of research and looked at the most obvious explenations like too much cotton, or the cotton that's too tight in my coil, etc. I tried fitting the cotton a bit looser in the coil(s) and tried using less cotton in general, to no avail. It sometimes gets so bad that I can already smell the cotton when I fire the build for the first time (yes my cotton is soaked).

The picture that I added is that of a dual coil build clocking at .32 ohms. Is there something I'm missing/doing wrong? I have a feeling that i'm wicking wrong but I tried about everything and I'm getting upset because I yet have to experience vaping because of this.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• dual coil.jpg
    dual coil.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 39

RBVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I presume you're running on a mechanical mod? What kind of cotton are you using? I ask because if you are a .32 ohm coil (battery dependent) it a tad over 55 watts. That's pretty serious power. The highest I ever run my cotton builds is 35-40W. Your cotton doesn't look too tight but I did notice your juice well is dry (even though your cotton does look wet).

I would start though with tightening up your coils to a microcoil. Standard coils are fine but the spacing need to be darn near perfect or you'll get hot spots. Check that top coil of yours out, looks like on the left there your coils are almost touching. I gave up on standard coils myself and only do microcoil builds these days.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
the coils are small enough in length you could use the posts closest to each other and less chance for a hot leg.

ResistaΩce

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Why I use Japanese cotton.. Sometimes it takes a few vapes to break in cotton. But there shouldn't be any reason why yer getting a dry/cotton hit unless your vaping a high mg juice and are thinking they are one in the same. Higher nic mg may be good for you tank wise, but if your moving into dripping, yer going to want to drop that nic level, which again could be why ya think yer getting a dry hit, /shrugs

Also why are you vaping a .3 coil on a mech? I would go no lower than a .5(tops), unless your using vtc5's or a higher mah battery.

Im kinda thinking that your coils are taking way to long to ramp up causing the undesired vape. push power to them and I bet youll notice a big difference.

Also IF your using a clone, them plumeveils have been know to melt the positive insulators .3 n lower.
I run mine at .4 to .5 and wick with Japanese cotton and she plumes..
you can also drill out your air holes for better circulation which means more flavor, clouds etc.
The more you get into coil building, then you can drill out the post holes and run larger gauge wire coils (claptons, twisted, etc..)
Welcome to building and have fun and vape safe...

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the info, resistance! Yeah I was running .3 cuz I thought my efest could take it. Already built another one that clocks in at .9 with a bit better wicking. Faint cotton taste in every hit and the burnt taste comes back every 3 hits or so. And yeah that build took ages to ramp up. I'm thinking that I'll need a lot of practice to get this right because my fine motor skills are horrible :D I'll take that info in account and post back when I'm more successful :D

ResistaΩce

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks a lot for the info, resistance! Yeah I was running .3 cuz I thought my efest could take it. Already built another one that clocks in at .9 with a bit better wicking. Faint cotton taste in every hit and the burnt taste comes back every 3 hits or so. And yeah that build took ages to ramp up. I'm thinking that I'll need a lot of practice to get this right because my fine motor skills are horrible :D I'll take that info in account and post back when I'm more successful :D

Yea, if your looking to do sub-ohm builds I would look into batteries that can handle the output, safety 1st :)
That's the fun thing about rebuilding, learning as you go, etc.. just be safe on them builds and make sure your
batteries can handle the output.
Some builds I have, I have to drip constantly to keep the wick wet. I built a .2 on a dark horse the other day just
messing around and boy that pony drinks a ton of juice @ 65w..

Be safe and most of all... Have fun and Vape on !!

VU Sponsors