Become a Patron!

burnt tasting kanger subtank rba

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I have never rebuilt coils or wicked anything in teh 4+ years I have been vaping. BUt I have the subtank RBA deck ORIGINAL VERSION and thought I would try wicking it with the premade coils that come in the kit to see if I could do it and see if rebuilding is fo rme.

After some research I thought that making the coils itself seems easy enough but the wicking seems to be what scares me.

So first try second try 3rd try 4th try

Everything is burnt tasting and I could tell the wick was not wicking. I use max vg.

SO little research and find the juice channels on the original deck are small so I enlarged them. I also changed to the other pre built coil that comes in the kit.

Still no luck

So little more research and see that many people put holes in the decks chimney So I did the same.

Now the wick is wet as wet can be but the hits are as burnt as burnt can be.

SO I am assuming there is something wrong with the coil.

SO since I have no clue what I am really doing,

ANyone have any advice

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
take out some cotton and try again...when it get hot and wet it expands and makes the juice harder to flow...something I found out the hard way

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
take out some cotton and try again...when it get hot and wet it expands and makes the juice harder to flow...something I found out the hard way
Tried less cotton still burnt taste on the first hit. could teh coil itself be giving me this burnt nasty taste?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Ok i got some fresh kanthal and tried making my own coils
Same result

Now let me explain this
I make teh coils put it in the deck tighten screws, pinnch it etc
Then I test fire it to make sure it glows form inside to outside.
Just like all teh videos I watched said.

But as soon as it heats up there is this awful nasty burnt smell coming from the coil (with no wick in it)
That is the taste I am getting. Am I suppose to clean the coil somehow

I mean this taste is not present on the occ prebuilt coils
What am I doing wrong

chuck.finley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Heating the coil to glowing red should burn off anything that could contaminate the taste. Where did you get your Kanthal? I've not heard of the coils giving off bad taste.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
well the first 2 coils i tried were from kanger, the prebuilt .5 coils they include in the subtank kit. The new coils i made today I bought the kanthal from maddcattvapors since they are local to me

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just realized you said you have the original subtank RBA deck (not the new ones). What color is the insulator? I'm thinking this may possibly be your issue. But then again, I also think having seen your pic it's your build (very heavy gauge wire LOL)!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
well im having trouble telling the exact color of the insulator

but id say off white to gray in color

Boogie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
go to a local shop and ask them to build it for you, then compare notes.

well im having trouble telling the exact color of the insulator

but id say off white to gray in color

Hey Matt, I hate to bring an old thread up, but I am wondering if you found a fix to this?

I am having the same problem. I have the v2 with the tan insulators. spent an entire day wicking and ran through about 15 coils at different gauges and different wicking methods (tight, slightly tight, just right little loose, and loose) 30g 26g 22g nothing seems to be working. I have had this for about 6 months and never had a problem except for the top cap gets stuck sometimes.

I checked and none of the insulators are melted or anything. It is definitely the taste of metal coming from the coil. I am also getting hot vape even at lower wattages, just a weird nasty burnt metal taste. Only tank I have at the moment too., go figure :/

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
um, wow i forget. i gave up on coil building for a while since my maganus prebuilt coils are wonderful. oh yea i switched from using cotton to rayon, it made a world of difference for me. I actually had some coils working pretty good for a while

I'll have to look into rayon. I get all of my RDA's to work every time with every coilbuild. It's just so baffling to me. Thanks anyways for the response dude. Have a good weekend

VU Sponsors