Become a Patron!

Can i do this??

cordar

Member For 4 Years
I have a older sub tank. Just got my first temp controll mod. I have the rebuildable deck for the subtank. Can I build it using titanium wire and use temperature control for the mod?? Also with this temperature control why is everyone building them so low ?? Thanks

rHiNo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes u can build with titanium. The wire is why it goes so low. Its more resistante than kanthal.

cordar

Member For 4 Years
Thanks. Why is it I don't see a lot of people using titanium wire it seems like they are either using nickel or stainless I don't like the idea of nickel.

rHiNo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I personally am not a fan to Ti I find it hard to work with. To many hot spots

rHiNo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nickel is nothing to worry about. It doesn't leach if it did people would drop like fly's.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks. Why is it I don't see a lot of people using titanium wire it seems like they are either using nickel or stainless I don't like the idea of nickel.
Before SS came out I much preferred Ti over Ni, because it was less maleable and easier to work with. But you can't dry burn it beyond it turning blue. Once SS came out I never used either Ni or Ti again!

cordar

Member For 4 Years
Ok so using titanium could someone give me an idea of how many wraps of 28g around 1/8 inch jig would be a good starting point. What resistance should i be looking for with temp control. Thanks

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok so using titanium could someone give me an idea of how many wraps of 28g around 1/8 inch jig would be a good starting point. What resistance should i be looking for with temp control. Thanks

Yeessss... Steam-Engine is your friend. :p

Higher resistance with TC wire (Ni, Ti, SS) will produce a proportionally greater rise in res as the wire heats, and should give greater TC accuracy.

That said... if you can fit something from 0.4 to 0.6 or so to start, you'll be fine.
It all depends on what guage(s) of wire you have to work with, and what style of coil build you're happiest with, within the build space limitations of any given atty's deck.

If you're set on Titanium, read about the precautions and ask questions.
Like Nickel, it's safe for our purposes... when used properly.

(Gawd damn... so many freakin' typos... need more coffee)

Last edited:

cordar

Member For 4 Years
Thanks all!!!! Is there a concern when using temperature control about amps and battery? Because it seems to me with temperature control you have no way of using the ohms law calculator is this correct do I not have to worry about the battery overheating?

SHOUTCAST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I worry about nickel.. if you get it too hot it release bad stuff.. not sure about TI for I thought it left a strange taste and never gave it another shot... SS is my go to for temp.. it can also be used in normal wattage mode.. And it is easy to work with..

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks all!!!! Is there a concern when using temperature control about amps and battery? Because it seems to me with temperature control you have no way of using the ohms law calculator is this correct do I not have to worry about the battery overheating?

No, because with a regulated mod (VV/VW and obviously... TC) we just calculate the max amp pull the mod is capable of and use an appropriate battery.

A = W / V

The calculation for a mech mod will use the full Ohms law and the coil resistance.

Bottom line with a reg mod... for standard known good 20A CDR batteries, keep it under 60 watts per battery for all day use. If you need more for a particular build... go to a mod with more batteries. Or shop for better batteries. :D

If you feel like bangin' your 75w full out once in a while... that's up to personal discretion.
But I wouldn't push them that hard all day long... they're pretty cheap. :p

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
one of the benefits of TC is an ease of building, just look up the size/wraps for the lowest ohms your device can handle and the highest it can handle, and as long as you stay between those two you can pretty much do what ever is easy and comfortable to fit in your deck

VU Sponsors