Become a Patron!

Can someone explain mods to me?

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi gabriella:)
Here is stuff that is just copy and pasted but it sums it up fairly well.

Why mods?

If you have spent any time on any of the various forums related to electronic cigarettes, you are sure to have noticed references to “mods.” Some forums, such as the e-cigarette-forum and the e-smokers-forum have whole sections devoted to the activity of modding. The term mod refers to a modification of the electronic cigarette and most often refers to a modification of the battery that powers it.

In order to understand why mods are popular in the world of electronic cigarettes, it is necessary to look at the admittedly brief history of the device. The first electronic cigarettes that appeared in 2007 showed the potential of the device, but it was clear that there was room for growth in the design area. In particular, the factory supplied batteries were less than stellar. They fulfilled the form factor requirement and look like a cigarette, but the power and charge life left a lot to be desired. Getting an hour or two of use before the battery needs to be recharged is not uncommon for a moderate to heavy vaper using a battery the size of a cigarette.

In addition to these limitations, there has always been the threat that electronic cigarettes would cease to be available to the consumer. In the United States, the FDA embarked on a misguided and authoritarian campaign to confiscate incoming shipments and spread misinformation, threatening the supply of the new technology.

Modding is the solution that many vapers have found to improve the performance of their personal vaporizer and ensure continued availability through the use of common parts. The most common mods involve the use of 3.7 volt rechargeable lithium batteries which deliver a noticeably higher voltage than the 3.2v or lower found in the typical electronic cigarette battery. Some modders have also used multiple batteries and regulators to increase voltage to 5v or more for an even more intense vaping experience. These batteries are then attached to a momentary push button switch that controls power delivery to the connector that the atomizer is attached to. Creative modders have come up with quite an interesting array of housings for the battery and switch, but simple battery boxes and flashlight bodies remain the most popular.

While most parts for mods can be found at your local electronics store, it was not long before a number of vendors began offering components that are specifically suited to the creation of a personal vaporizer. Vendors such as Madvapes and ecigmods offer everything needed from batteries to atomizer connectors. Many commercially produced mods are also available in designs that range from the simple to beautiful.

New electronic cigarette battery designs such as the eGo, Riva and Hello 016 have effectively solved the battery life issues, but mods continue to be popular. If nothing else, they are a statement of creativity and personal preference that goes well beyond the personal vaporizer that simply looks like a cigarette.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Mod has just become a generic term for anything above and beyond a cigalike or ego. People call everything from MVPs to Provaris mods.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
the simple explanation is that mods are just a beefed up and larger 'battery'.. if you look at the gas station e-cigs.. its a battery, with a small atomizer and a small amount of e-liquid inside..

a mod is just much bigger tube.. which houses a bigger batter... the atomizer is then attached to the battery (on top) .. and you fill the atomizer with juice.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a basic understanding of e cigs and their parts but I can't really figure out how mods work.
Thanks!
Hi Gabriella, a mod simply has no electronic componets to it. Personally, that's what appeals to me. It's basically a metallic(stainless steel, copper, brass or combination of the above)tube with a battery inside. Attached to the top is an atomizer(atty)where you build your coil and wick. This atty screws on to the top of the tube and is fired by a button on the bottom. Assuming you are talking about mechanical mods and not variable voltage/variable wattage mods. I hope this simply and basically answers your question. lol

VaperJay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi Gabriella, a mod simply has no electronic componets to it. Personally, that's what appeals to me. It's basically a metallic(stainless steel, copper, brass or combination of the above)tube with a battery inside. Attached to the top is an atomizer(atty)where you build your coil and wick. This atty screws on to the top of the tube and is fired by a button on the bottom. Assuming you are talking about mechanical mods and not variable voltage/variable wattage mods. I hope this simply and basically answers your question. lol
I think she was just asking in general, not specifically about mech.
Good info though! :D

I second what @Garemlin said. That is about as simple as an explanation for it as there is.

From how I've seen most vapers start with ecigs or something like an ego or aspire starter kit and then move up to mods once they decide that vaping is something that they want to invest in.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So at what point is it worth investing in a mod and which ones are the best?
Gabriella, are you asking about mechanical mods which are unregulated or regulated mods like vv/vw?
What are you using now?

D

Donald Bickers

its really just up to you,,,,,but I would say if the smaller ones are working to keep you off ciggys,and you think your ready to step up a notch,just do a little research there are several moderately priced mods out there,im shure a lot of these people on VU will help you in finding whats suitable for you.as I said its kinda your call,take care and happy clouds to you,,,,Donald

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
its really just up to you,,,,,but I would say if the smaller ones are working to keep you off ciggys,and you think your ready to step up a notch,just do a little research there are several moderately priced mods out there,im shure a lot of these people on VU will help you in finding whats suitable for you.as I said its kinda your call,take care and happy clouds to you,,,,Donald
I agree, Donald. Sometimes you just have to spend hours on you tube researching all the options, pick something you think you'll like and try it out. Most people go from cigalikes to tanks. Indoor Smokers (on you tube) reviews tons of these. That may be a place to start.

VaperJay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree, Donald. Sometimes you just have to spend hours on you tube researching all the options, pick something you think you'll like and try it out. Most people go from cigalikes to tanks. Indoor Smokers (on you tube) reviews tons of these. That may be a place to start.
I love his videos! :D

What these guys said, first step is deciding if you want something ego styled, digital, or full mech.

They all of their advantages and disadvantages and it is all about personal preference and what you want out of your device.

Research is important, if you find ones you really like buy aren't sure about either look up some reviews or ask questions here. :)

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So at what point is it worth investing in a mod and which ones are the best?
There's a guy on you tube who does shopping vids - Shopping with Pegasus. He's not into tanks and doesn't really do reviews. It's more about educating people on builds and the things you'll need. You might not agree with everything he says but take what you can and leave the rest behind.

Indoor Smokers has a lady friend called Tia who does a lot of tank reviews with devices that are more sleek and easy to carry around. Don't know if you're looking for something like that. Just saying. But just because a device is small doesn't mean that it can't hold the power you're looking for.

For me it was worth investing in a mod when cigalikes just didn't help me quit smoking. I needed much more vapor
production and better flavor. ok, i'm done

Last edited:

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Pegasus is an asshat, and often WAY WAY WRONG. He also gets kickbacks to discredit certain vendors and promote the ones that send him free stuff. You can watch anyone other than him and get really good information. IMO, he is one of the worst video producers on youtube and a liar.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pegasus is an asshat, and often WAY WAY WRONG. He also gets kickbacks to discredit certain vendors and promote the ones that send him free stuff. You can watch anyone other than him and get really good information. IMO, he is one of the worst video producers on youtube and a liar.
Yeah, I was waiting for someone to reply to that. His harshness towards others alarms me. That's why I said take what u can and leave the rest behind.
Someone else might get something useful from it. Who knows. I, personally, don't care for his attitude, though. And felt he had some hidden agendas - if not business-wise, personally.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Gabriella, you can look in our forum as well, there is a whole section on Reviews, you will find some really good input down there. As far as videos, everyone has their own style. I like IndoorSmokers on youtube, he is pretty down to earth and honest, not flashy. You should also check out Rip Trippers (be wary of the editing lol), GrimmGreen,Vaping with Twisted420, Suck my Mod (cute couple lol), SMOKIE and Convicted Vapes. All of them are pretty fun to watch and pretty easy to follow along if you are new. You can also start a conversation in private here, with many of us and the moderators here, anyone here would be more than happy to answer question on a one on one basis with you! We are a pretty tight family here......as for mods to start with, my vote is for Regulated Variable Watt mods, like the Groove II by Smoktech, its cheap, durable and easy to use. Grab a Kanger Aerotank V.2 and some spare coils (1.5 or 1.8 work best for the Grooves abilities), some juice (try mount baker vapor, Blue Moo is one of my favorites) and you are ready to rock.
http://www.madvapes.com/the-groove-2.html
http://www.madvapes.com/kanger-aerotank-v2-kit.html
http://www.madvapes.com/kanger-replacement-bottom-coils.html
http://www.mtbakervapor.com/nicotine-juice/blue-moo-e-juice-baker-vapor/

Hope we have helped a little. Remember, Keep it Foggy!

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My personal definition: a mod is whatever sub-12V portable power supply that a standard 510 or eGo-threaded atomizer can be connected to, that works for at least 8 hours without recharging, the battery of which can be replaced when it's spent, that keeps me off cigarettes.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Gabriella, you can look in our forum as well, there is a whole section on Reviews, you will find some really good input down there. As far as videos, everyone has their own style. I like IndoorSmokers on youtube, he is pretty down to earth and honest, not flashy. You should also check out Rip Trippers (be wary of the editing lol), GrimmGreen,Vaping with Twisted420, Suck my Mod (cute couple lol), SMOKIE and Convicted Vapes. All of them are pretty fun to watch and pretty easy to follow along if you are new. You can also start a conversation in private here, with many of us and the moderators here, anyone here would be more than happy to answer question on a one on one basis with you! We are a pretty tight family here......as for mods to start with, my vote is for Regulated Variable Watt mods, like the Groove II by Smoktech, its cheap, durable and easy to use. Grab a Kanger Aerotank V.2 and some spare coils (1.5 or 1.8 work best for the Grooves abilities), some juice (try mount baker vapor, Blue Moo is one of my favorites) and you are ready to rock.
http://www.madvapes.com/the-groove-2.html
http://www.madvapes.com/kanger-aerotank-v2-kit.html
http://www.madvapes.com/kanger-replacement-bottom-coils.html
http://www.mtbakervapor.com/nicotine-juice/blue-moo-e-juice-baker-vapor/

Hope we have helped a little. Remember, Keep it Foggy!
I like ur picks. I watch those guys, too. Can't go wrong and u can ask questions in their you tube vids. I'd like to add Ray Lo Vapes. Seems like a nice guy and gets back to you.

JPop

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
In the beginning we had Joye 510's and KR808 stick batteries, and for a time it was good. When humanity branched out into the vaping world, a few among us said. "Hey, we need more vapor, longer run time, more flavour, and flashier looking junk, hopefully without LED illuminated tips... ...yeah... those look stupid." And so it was. Boxes and tubes, regulated and mechanical in function, some steel, some brass, others some odd parts salvaged from the far corners of a Radio Shack long forgotten by those darn kids with their BlackPods and iBerries who na'er know nor care to know what a resistor or a capacitor actually is. Thus the mighty mod was born in all shapes and colors, with batteries large and small, functionally the same as it's predecessors, but "modified" to the users liking.

VU Sponsors