Become a Patron!

Can someone explain Vanillin to me?

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I searched the net and all I can seem to find is it tastes like nilla wafers or it is a vanilla substitute in real cooking. What does it taste like in mixes and what is the purpose of using it? Why not just use different vanillas or a little more of what you have? I see when normally used there usually isn't much, as compared to the total percentage of flavoring.

Thanks

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just mixed vanillin for the first time because it was a main ingredient in a recipe I want to try, but I have yet to use it in a mix. My understanding is that it functions as a sweetener and a booster. Others will have more useful information.

Try here for some. I found it educational :)

PS: i didn't read this anywhere, but I have the strong impression vanillin (or some form of the molecule) is in many, many of the flavor compounds we DIYers use already.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I only have it because HIC used it in a really cool bubble gum recipe. It's the only time I've used it, but I've heard it boosts Vanilla. @Rin13 uses it quite a bit I think. Maybe she'll chime in :) ?

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I only have it because HIC used it in a really cool bubble gum recipe. It's the only time I've used it, but I've heard it boosts Vanilla. @Rin13 uses it quite a bit I think. Maybe she'll chime in :) ?
Yes, that's why I got it too! :) Just haven't mixed it yet. I'm still stuck on HIC's Creamy Strawberry Chocolate Malt. My first "all day vape" ever.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Up til today, huh? LOL. That bubble gum is an incredibly interesting one, NO doubt. It's like the old fashioned bubble gum I remember back in baseball cards and such.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I use it all the time. I like it because it adds sweetness and a nice vanilla. I hate most vanilla flavors but vanillan is just on another level.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Wiki says

Vanillin
is a phenolic aldehyde, which is an organic compound with the molecular formula C8H8O3. Its functional groups include aldehyde, hydroxyl, and ether. It is the primary component of the extract of the vanilla bean. Synthetic vanillin is now used more often than natural vanilla extract as a flavoring agent in foods, beverages, and pharmaceuticals.

Vanillin and ethylvanillin are used by the food industry; ethylvanillin is more expensive, but has a stronger note. It differs from vanillin by having an ethoxy group (–O–CH2CH3) instead of a methoxy group (–O–CH3).

Natural "vanilla extract" is a mixture of several hundred different compounds in addition to vanillin. Artificial vanilla flavoring is often a solution of pure vanillin, usually of synthetic origin. Because of the scarcity and expense of natural vanilla extract, synthetic preparation of its predominant component has long been of interest. The first commercial synthesis of vanillin began with the more readily available natural compound eugenol. Today, artificial vanillin is made either from guaiacol or lignin.

Vanillin crystals extracted from vanilla extract
Lignin-based artificial vanilla flavoring is alleged to have a richer flavor profile than oil-based flavoring; the difference is due to the presence of acetovanillone, a minor component in the lignin-derived product that is not found in vanillin synthesized from guaiacol.[3]

100px-Vanillin2.svg.png 100px-Vanillin-3d.png

wllmc wiki says

Id imagine most vanilla flavors have vanillin in it as a ingredient. using vanillin or vanillin crystals in tiny amounts will boost the vanilla flavor and may add a little sweetness and gives it a fake vanilla flavor. I personally dont care for it and havent found to many uses for it nor do I get any added vanila boost when I use it, normally I just get a stomach ache and the opportunity to re wick my atty lol. HIC did do the bubble gum with it but to me its just another additive that kinda useless. for me using the right flavors for the application is much better than trying to force something with additives.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks everyone. Very informative. I will try not to use it. I do see a lot of non VU recipes with vanillin. I will go a different direction.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wait isn't the main organic part of it Castoreum?

If it is then FUCK that, you can go on and enjoy the ass squeezings of a rodent.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Why did I have to research that.
Because that is the base for most natural flavoring.
There is another one that it even less savory and I detest cannibalism.

I see natural coloring and flavors I do not pick it up.

VU Sponsors