Become a Patron!

Can you build dangerously on regulated mod?

Zyed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a low resistance (.07-.08) meaty coil in my dual 18650 mod. The mods regulated and the batteries currently in are rated for 35A individually. After some math I am pretty confident they'll be okay considering they are name brand batteries. (check my math pls? would like to keep teeth?) What would happen if I slapped something like 20A batteries in the regulated mod? OR something even lower than 20A? :bomb:?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
.7 -.8, that's not dangeriously low, dangeriously low would be under 0.1 like 0.08

Zyed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
.7 -.8, that's not dangeriously low, dangeriously low would be under 0.1 like 0.08
OOPS BIG TYPO

they are .07-.08

edit- after taking out hotspots and letting them cool theyre .1 now?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Most times a Regulated MOD will not fire if you are out of the range of the built in safeties but if you are knowingly pushing the limits, shit can happen. Good Luck ~!

Zyed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Most times a Regulated MOD will not fire if you are out of the range of the built in safeties but if you are knowingly pushing the limits, shit can happen. Good Luck ~!

While firing when taking out hotspots the batteries didnt get hot. Good sign? Or does this mean nothing because that's how they're supposed to be?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While firing when taking out hotspots the batteries didnt get hot. Good sign? Or does this mean nothing because that's how they're supposed to be?
Back when I was into regulated Mod's and Temp Control I would build around those ranges. With TC I'd say you're alright but in Power Mode I wouldn't do it. It really is good practice to stay above 0.1 like around 0.15.

Just my two bits worth.

Zyed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Back when I was into regulated Mod's and Temp Control I would build around those ranges. With TC I'd say you're alright but in Power Mode I wouldn't do it. It really is good practice to stay above 0.1 like around 0.15.

Just my two bits worth.
Planned on being in TC mode, this gives me a bit of confidence. However I will not hold you accountable for my mistakes should things happen!

I'm gonna go with it fuck it its already mounted they're my first aliens :)

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
edit- after taking out hotspots and letting them cool theyre .1 now?
thats normal. regarding your other questions, your regulated mod is designed to handle builds within its specs, so if it can fire .1 ohms, it should be safe to do so. anything can break or go wrong though, and .1 is usually pushing a two battery mod to its limits. battery life will be minimal and things will likely always be warm/hot. great looking build btw, just saw it in 'post your builds' :cheers:

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As I have learned the resistance doesn't matter much on a regulated mod. It's what you set the watts to that determines battery life. Same thing goes for the amp draw. The mod will pull 100 watts at what ever the battery's voltage is. So 100watts at 8.4v(dual battery) or at 4.2 volts(single).

Not sure how the amp limit works but mods have an amp limit as well. I think it limits how much amps it will output. So using that thinking if the mod pulls 200 watts then you work backwards in that 200watts at 7v pulls 28.57 amps. If you plan on running 200 watts for the duration then you need 30 amp batteries.

Granted some will say that 25amp continuous batteries will work fines as we use pulse discharge when we vape.

According to Mooch, on a regulated MOD you take to account the amperage draw at the lowest battery voltage your mod can take and its given efficiency. it's not a direct draw as in a mech mod.

Wattage per Battery = Total Watts on mod screen / # of Batteries.
Mods Cut out voltage = Depends on your specific mod, varies from 3.0 to 3.2 Volts.
Mods Efficiency = Also dependant of your mod, varies from 80% to 95% on a god DNA.

Amp per Battery = Wattage per Battery / Mods Cut out voltage / Mods Efficiency

So lets say your build you run it at 100 watts.
on a dual battery mod would be 50 watts per battery.
I'll say your mods cut out voltage its 3.2 volts , with a 85% efficiency.

Amp per battery = 50 watts / 3.2 Volts / 0.85
Amp per battery = 18.3 Amps

so if you run a 20 amp rated battery you'll be running at 92% of its nominal amp load.
and if you run 25 amp rated battery you'll be running at 73% of its nominal amp load.

in either scenario, you should be ok, (as long as your mod its ok). at the end you won't have the best battery life that all.-

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When building at .1Ω using S316L and a regulated MOD in TC mode I have had the resistance go below .1Ω from the heat and the MOD not fire. Although there was no danger it was a Pain In The Ass! But I only use Quality Cells from reputable suppliers.

VU Sponsors