InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got my first mech mod and am using an LG 18650HE2

After vaping a Kayfun on it, I tried putting an Aerotank Mega on it and it didn't fire. I tried it again and realized that the tube was getting warm.

Have seen enough posts to know that I needed to get the battery out of the tube and it was hot but not too hot to hold. Put it in a closed bucket and set it outside around 3 am and it doesn't look like the bucket has blown and I have not gone out to look at it yet because it's raining.

The big question is, if it didn't blow up or leak or any visible damage can I try to use it again or is it time to recycle it?

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If there are no signs of it venting, it should be fine. Damn Kangers been giving so many people problems lately. The center pin/ insulators seam to have a six month shelf life lol.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you got a mech mod with a hybrid top cap the atty's positive pin has to stick out, if it's flush or recessed it will short. Not sure what mod you have but if it has a hybrid cap keep that in mind.

Li-ion's are not as volatile as li-po's, if a li-po shorts its done. If a li-ion shorts and its not too long it may still be ok to use but you have definitely increased the internal resistance and shortened the batteries life.

If it were me, I would error on the side of caution and toss it. It's not worth $10 - $15 to have the slight possibility that you have a ticking time bomb in the house or car or in your hands. It very well may have just lost some performance and life span... but maybe it is worse. Time will tell.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Time...the teller of all tales.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. It is an AmeriVapes Apollo clone. The top cap is a very thin disk that screws onto the bottom of the atty, and yes the pin on the atty was slightly recessed so I quickly knew what the problem was thanks to all the reading I have done here :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, that's a hybrid top cap.
Most clearo's are flush at best. Even the kayfun is sketchy, most of those are flush. You can take the micro orings off one of those silver double side freebie screwdrivers and put them on the kayfuns center pin to space it down a little and make sure it is poking out.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. It is an AmeriVapes Apollo clone. The top cap is a very thin disk that screws onto the bottom of the atty, and yes the pin on the atty was slightly recessed so I quickly knew what the problem was thanks to all the reading I have done here :)

Could have been worse, you could have arc welded the atty to the top cap with a dead short like that.

Be extremly careful putting non rebuildables on your apollo... and always check your 510 on your attys and tanks before you fire... like another person said, make sure your positive is sticking out...

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep, thanks guys, learned a very early lesson that I got off very easy on.

VU Sponsors