canning nicotine

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok so i was having one of my random thoughts today

I need to transfer some nic to glass jars to freeze
I have like almost 2 liters

So I dont have nay glass bottles like most probably use. But I got some brand new unsused ball canning jars
they are glass so thats a check
but I understand that when you can you normally fill the jars put the lids on and the put in boiling water and that creates an air tight seal

I thought airtight sounds like a good idea.
but heating the nicotine does not

so how good of an idea is using the ball jars to store my nic?
and if its a ood idea
how good of an idea is it to do the boiling water method to seal the jars?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i wasnt planning on boiling the nic

a si understand it
i can fill the jar with nic seal it with the lid
submerge the whole thing in boiling water for a minute
sit the jar on the counter and then the lid w ill pop and seal locking all air out of the jar.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
i wasnt planning on boiling the nic a si understand it i can fill the jar with nic seal it with the lid submerge the whole thing in boiling water for a minute sit the jar on the counter and then the lid w ill pop and seal locking all air out of the jar.

Just put it in the jar at room temp. The freezer will do the rest. It will pull a slight vacuum as is gets colder.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok sounds good
was just wondering if trying to seal the jar prior to freezing might make it last longer or something.
like I said - random thought of the day
TY for the replies

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ok sounds good
was just wondering if trying to seal the jar prior to freezing might make it last longer or something.
like I said - random thought of the day
TY for the replies

Matt, if you're sticking it in the freezer at room temp. That's going to be between 40-50F temp drop.

If you're concerned about a seal. The lids have rubber gaskets. Room temp to freezing will cause a slight vacuum. Although I'm not sure it's enough to cause it to seal as it would with the typical canning methods.

I've heard of people pumping other inert gasses in bottles, to prevent oxidation. But I don't think you want to go that route.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
no i was just wondering since i was technically using canning jars if there was a canning method to use that would create a better airtight seal on the jar to make the nic last longer in the freezer

But honestly - I may be OVER thinking this

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For our American visitors. The term "Not Frozen" applies to anything maintained ABOVE 0 degrees by the USDA.

And here you thought those fast food commercials about their hamburger patties being served fresh never frozen, were lies lol

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
so nothing in my freezer at home is technically frozen according to the gov't

ROFLMAO - Why am I not surprised

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
so nothing in my freezer at home is technically frozen according to the gov't

ROFLMAO - Why am I not surprised

I'm surprised not more people know this really. We have so many people that are experts in everything here and IRL. :rolleyes:;):rolleyes:

Too be fair, I found this out from a relative that works at a meat packing plant. I didn't know it either until about 10 years ago.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For our American visitors. The term "Not Frozen" applies to anything maintained ABOVE 0 degrees by the USDA.

And here you thought those fast food commercials about their hamburger patties being served fresh never frozen, were lies lol
What ??

Dixie1954

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Mattp169, I did NOT put my nic into my freezer in canning jars - but I did put my extra PG and VG into canning jars without heat sealing them - they will do fine. Another thing you need to know is that nic in PG/orVG does not freeze in a "normal" household freezer, the VG based nic with get thicker but the PG based nic (which I use) will only get really really cold. No need to heat seal either of them. Hopefully this helps. :)

Doomsday Vaper

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Anyone try a vacuum sealer with the canning jar and then freezing? Seems this should work for long-terms storage.

MySaladDays

Member For 4 Years
All those canning jars also have accessory "plastic screw tops" if you prefer that to the metal ones that people use for canning. The tops are white and they screw on and replace the metal 2-peice ones.

Doomsday Vaper

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All those canning jars also have accessory "plastic screw tops" if you prefer that to the metal ones that people use for canning. The tops are white and they screw on and replace the metal 2-peice ones.
The plastic screw tops work great. I usually mix juice in 200-400 ml batches and use those lids. I also use them for freezer storage of nic. I think the vac sealer and metal rings and flat lids would help with long term storage by evacuating most of the air from a canning jar of nic.

Attachments

• IMAG0441.jpg
    IMAG0441.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 7

Chrispdx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know this will sound odd. But I vacuum seal my small bottles of nic vacumn seal bags. Then placed all of them in a jar. Filled the remaining space with disposable bags. Place the plastic lid on top. Wrap the bottle in another dark dispossible bag. The vacumn seal the bott

Chrispdx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Then vacumn seal the main bottle. Then it goes in the freezer.
When I open the main bottle I hear the air rushing in. The individual wrapped bottle are then verified (still vacumn sealed and no drops of liquid). I take out the smaller bottle of nic I'm working with and the rest goes back to the freezer.

VU Sponsors