Become a Patron!

Cellucotton

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Has any one tried to use cellucotton on there mods I here great things about tit.

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
I bought a box and am using it now it's great better than cotton IMO
You can get it at Sally's beauty supplies 44060 100% Rayon
I still can't find a good build for my Kayfuns with it but I'm confident it's just a matter of time before I do

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like it, like cotton but seems nicer. Still playing with it as well.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Cellucotton is a name.
the rayon is what you're after.
It is also used in pill bottles for packing and is referred to as pharmaceutical coil.
There are a number of places were it can be purchased. But Sally's seems to be the easiest.
I love rayon as a wicking medium. I use it in all of my ATTYs.

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Everybody says it's great. I have to look into this more

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
if you get it from amazon like i did make sure you get the 500ft one.. anything below is not rayon

need to make sure its rayon cellucotton and not plain cellucotton

On my first rayon wick now (about 48 hours so far), have to say this stuff is really giving cotton a run for its money. Need more time and a few more builds to know for sure but as it stands right now; it appears rayon is a better wicking material (imo). I used silica for the first year or so, then switched to cotton for the next four years. I thought that nothing would ever beat it, but looks like rayon is the new cotton.

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I started fiddling with cellucotton last friday. Seems to me that it's easier to get the right amount of wick through your coil with cotton over rayon. Rayon definitely wicks better and keeps coils cleaner/wetter. The vapor produced seems to be finer, less splatter, more of it and the ability to take longer pulls.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When you get it right it's great. It is however more fiddly than cotton. More flyaway to handle and a narrower range of what works well. In general I've found it needs to be reasonably tight through the coil without choking. Less is not more with rayon. Other than that I've been building my kayfuns just as I would with cotton with good results.When I do screw it up it's pretty obvious by reduced vapor and it does give you fair warning if a dry hit is coming. Taste wise I see no need to boil it, the first hit tastes the same as the tenth.

CookieMonster225

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
if you get it from amazon like i did make sure you get the 500ft one.. anything below is not rayon

need to make sure its rayon cellucotton and not plain cellucotton

I got the 10ft one from sally beauty. If I remember correctly it said it was rayon, but when I wicked with it I got a funny taste. Haven't messed with it since. I'm going to order the 500' just to make sure I have the right stuff.

Doots

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used it for over a month. Wicks better than cotton.. Not sure if it is safe. Didnt have any problems that I know of with it. I did go back to Koh Gen Do Cotton.. Just don't know if it is safe in the long run.. don't know if cotton or Silica is either but I think I will stay with cotton for now..

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got the 10ft one from sally beauty. If I remember correctly it said it was rayon, but when I wicked with it I got a funny taste. Haven't messed with it since. I'm going to order the 500' just to make sure I have the right stuff.

Most of the 10ft ones are actually cotton, even though they're called Cellucotton. You have to read the small print on the package! And you have to be sure you don't get the 'reinforced' variety!

scartn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Correct numbers to look for:
44040 1200 ft. box
44043 3lb box
44060 500 ft. box
44130 40 ft. box

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ebytesu9.jpg

Been using for a few weeks now. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phone Guy

Member For 4 Years
I have some, I have used it... it seems to irritate my throat............. in 100% disclosure Im not sure it was the rayon, could be too much vaping, the juice, the build, etc.....

I've used KGD and organic cotton balls.... I did not get the night and day difference between rayon/kgd/cotton others got.

I will say this, rayon keeps the coils way cleaner than cotton does.... after a couple of days and say 30ml of juice, the coils still look clean. cotton doesnt do that for me.

MrFixIt

Member For 4 Years
I switched to cotton about a year ago and a light shone down and the choir sang Ahhhhhh! :) I have heard about this and watched a video on it think I'm going to try it out this weekend and if I get light and choir moment again I'll let you know. ;)

Phone Guy

Member For 4 Years
I really want to LOVE rayon... but I think cotton just performs better to me. Maybe my box of cellucotton wasn't washed properly? Or is tainted in some way? But I feel the koh gen doh tastes better? I don't know, maybe I'm crazy.

I'm with you phone guy, for some reason it isn't appealing to me at all, which is a shame because I have about 499' of it! It's way to finicky for me and doesn't taste any better than the cotton that I use. The main reason I wanted to try it was because I've heard that coils don't gunk up as fast and this would have been a huge advantage for when I use 0.8Ω micro coils in my Protanks, but for some reason it kind of sucked! If i used to little it would dry hit, and when I used more it would mute the taste! For my money cotton wins! I don't see any advantage in my REO either. It doesn't taste any better than cotton and wicks are so easy to change that I don't really care how long it lasts.

st_andrew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Busardo did a video comparison between koh gen do, cotton, rayon, hemp. The hemp and kgd preformed really good. Still would like to try rayon. Uncle chimney wanna sell some?

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the cellucotton is great. but its not revolutionary compared to cotton IMO. if youre having trouble getting the right density of cotton into your coil, cellucotton might be a choice for you. without the correct amount of cotton in your coil, your vape will suffer and it might seem like cotton isnt great. but with the perfect amount of cotton, its truly fantastic (again, IMO).

anyway, if you have trouble finding the right amount of cotton, OR if youd like to experience truly superior wicking (not absorbing), then cellucotton is a great choice. reason being is that with cellucotton, you basically need to cram as much of it in the coil as you can. big fluffy shoulders (coil+wick resembling a tiny bow tie) is ideal. its basically impossible to put to much cellucotton in my experience. and it is tough to get a lot of it in there at first. my suggestion is to soak the wick with pg or vg and squish it down and shape it (easy to shape, its almost hair-like and very uniform). or if you have no vg or pg, use some ejuice with latex gloves on. cellucotton shrinks when wet as opposed to cotton expanding when wet.

another great benefit of cellucotton is its superior wicking ability. it truly wicks, rather than absorbing, like cotton does. the proof is in the coil gunk, or lack thereof i should say. your coil stays so saturated that the coil has no choice but to stay healthy and gunk-free. also cellucotton is slightly more difficult to burn. i assume this is because of its wicking ability and perhaps also the nature of the material being slightly more burn-resistant than cotton- but that might only be a product of its wicking ability.

personally, i feel that i have "mastered" cotton and get it to perform to my liking, exceedingly so even. i accomplish this with the perfect amount of cotton, and by using short wicks. short wicks are ideal with cotton because cotton truly does not wick extremely effectively. with a long wick or cotton-cloud, you are almost always left with wet spots all along your wick while the area under the coil gets dry. with cellucotton, the entire wick dries out as you vape, wasting zero juice.

i expected the flavor and TH to go up with cellucotton but it didnt for me. perhaps if i had sub-par cotton wicks, id notice mor eof a difference. but i really dont know for sure. my cotton wicks perform awesomely. and so do my cellucotton builds for that matter.

if youre bored, have a few bucks burning a hole in your pocket, or both, give it a try. i like it. i will even say i like it a lot, but its no miracle in my eyes. regardless- thanks to my interwebz buddies that hooked me up and if youre reading this, you fucking ROCK!

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting - I've found if you overstuff with rayon the vape suffers - there's a fine line with rayon imo!

quite interesting, AmandaD. nice find. i applaud you on your ability to stuff too much in there. i was barely able to get enough into my 1/16" ID coils.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
quite interesting, AmandaD. nice find. i applaud you on your ability to stuff too much in there. i was barely able to get enough into my 1/16" ID coils.

LOL Yup, it can be done. You pull both ends and it stretches (unlike cotton), and that way you have to be a little careful you're not overdoing it! I use 1/16 coils also, so you do need to pull the ends a little imo.

Phone Guy

Member For 4 Years
I've read using rayon both ways..... stuff it in the coil until it crys uncle.... and leave is loose and fluffy. There doesn't seem to be a "right" way, just what works for you.

Cotton seems to have a more universal approach in that most people use it about the same across the board, less is more.

I have the 3lb box of cellucotton, and I just don't think it performs as well for me... was I mis-using it? maybe... I've tried stuffed to the gills, and tried the soft and fluffy (less is more) approach. It always wicks, it does keep the coils cleaner, it just doesn't give me the same flavor/taste as I can from KGD.... I think I get better flavor (to me) from cotton.

Being someone who works within the plastics manufacturing business. "medical" And having a great understanding on how this stuff is made and what all is really in it. Petroleum based semi and full synthetic products.
I will say a big NO THANKS!
But to each their own. It's just not something I personally would wish to use.

Phone Guy

Member For 4 Years
Being someone who works within the plastics manufacturing business. "medical" And having a great understanding on how this stuff is made and what all is really in it. Petroleum based semi and full synthetic products.
I will say a big NO THANKS!
But to each their own. It's just not something I personally would wish to use.

While I tend to agree with you 100%, I have to admit, I dont think anyone knows the safety aspect of vaping on regular cotton's, and other "accepted" wicking mediums either.... but based on my experience with silica, ekowool and now rayon... I get a very synthetic feeling in my throat from those, that I do not get from cottons.

Just got some cellucotton. Been vaping on it all day. The flavor is better. IMO. It does feel like plastic thou in a weird way. Like a cigarette filter.

HiramKunz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK, I must ask, has anyone tried the cellucotton 100% cotton, I have done the rayon and it is not to shabby, but, wanting to know if the other half of cellucotton is good?!?!

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, I must ask, has anyone tried the cellucotton 100% cotton, I have done the rayon and it is not to shabby, but, wanting to know if the other half of cellucotton is good?!?!
I have not.
But I can't really imagine it being any different than any other similar cotton that you a have already tried.
I think it is just simply cotton with the brand name Cellucotton attached to it.
But of course since I have not tried the Cellucotton brand cotton I can't speak with too much authority on it. Can only give an opinion.

HiramKunz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have not.
But I can't really imagine it being any different than any other similar cotton that you a have already tried.
I think it is just simply cotton with the brand name Cellucotton attached to it.
But of course since I have not tried the Cellucotton brand cotton I can't speak with too much authority on it. Can only give an opinion.
I may have to try it, see if it is similar to strato wick or to cotton bacon.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I may have to try it, see if it is similar to strato wick or to cotton bacon.
I know of people accidentally getting the Cellucotton cotton by mistake thinking they were getting the rayon.
But I don't recall any of those people saying how well the cotton they mistakenly got vaped.
I've been somewhat interested in some of the cottons like Cotton Bacon and some of the Japanese cottons. But I'm strictly rayon right now.
So what I'm saying is that if you do try the cotton by Cellucotton I'd like to hear what your opinion is on it.
I still haven't tried the Cellucotton rayon because I got a very large amount of rayon from a very large pill bottle.
But once that runs out I will be going to Sally and getting the Cellucotton rayon.

HiramKunz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know of people accidentally getting the Cellucotton cotton by mistake thinking they were getting the rayon.
But I don't recall any of those people saying how well the cotton they mistakenly got vaped.
I've been somewhat interested in some of the cottons like Cotton Bacon and some of the Japanese cottons. But I'm strictly rayon right now.
So what I'm saying is that if you do try the cotton by Cellucotton I'd like to hear what your opinion is on it.
I still haven't tried the Cellucotton rayon because I got a very large amount of rayon from a very large pill bottle.
But once that runs out I will be going to Sally and getting the Cellucotton rayon.
Well, in the name of science I will go ahead and get some just to see, I love my strato wick and i do enjoy the cellucotton rayon.

latinouno

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
so far so good running on my rda's, rba's and great on protanks. Re-wick less and notice great difference when I change flavors.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, in the name of science I will go ahead and get some just to see, I love my strato wick and i do enjoy the cellucotton rayon.
I always appreciate a volunteer guinea pig.
I look forward to hearing what you think about it.

MoFo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been using it for over a month now. It's finicky to figure out at first, coming from cotton. It actually "shrinks" and sags to some degree when saturated, unlike cotton which swells. So for those who haven't gotten it to wick correctly I would suggest to keep trying different amounts. I get it just snug enough, right at the point where it will start distorting the coil if I pulled it any harder. Then I run it back and forth a couple times, like a mm or two each way three or four times. You want it tight, but not too tight.

I understand people's concern on safety. My take on it is... don't vape the rayon, vape the juice. Breathing any material that's combusting is, probably, bad for your lungs. I don't plan on letting my wicks catch fire, be it cotton or rayon.

I still want to try Koh Gen Do. If anybody wants to trade some for cellucotton rayon let me know. I'll make it a very generous trade since I have 500 freaking feet of this stuff. Well more like 495 now, but yeah...

JVapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just started using Cellucotton rayon two days ago (I bought 3 POUNDS of it from Sally's). So far it seems that the flavor is a slight improvement over cotton, that's about it. My main interest however is seeing how long the wicks hold up, as I've heard that you can use a rayon wick for a week without suffering much performance loss. That'd be quite a bit more convenient than putting a new cotton wick in every day or every other day!

rjmara

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just got some cellucotton. Been vaping on it all day. The flavor is better. IMO. It does feel like plastic thou in a weird way. Like a cigarette filter.
You got me thinking on that one,has anybody pulled an analog filter apart and wicked it?i need to do some digging and see what they are made of, and possibly try in my atty.

rjmara

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After reading what they are made from,I think I'll pass on that.they are made of cellulose acetate,a plasticized fiber.i think a dry hit would bring back memories of lighting a cig backwards!

JediTT

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I buy my cotton by the bush, seeds and everything still in it. tastes great.

VU Sponsors