Become a Patron!

charging mods with built in batteries

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I have only owned 2 types of mods: about 20 ego style batteries and 2 eleaf istick 30w.

Now I know the batteries like all rechargables will slowly hold less mah as they get recharged and discharged, and after a while they just don't hold a significant amount of charge for them to even function.

If I am incorrect on this point please tell me.

SO assuming I am correct, I thought most batteries like the ego style and the eleaf istick 30w, should take around 200 charges before they started showing a significant difference in how long the charge will last. then after about 300 charges they would just about be dead and not worth using for me.

Someone tell me how accurate that last part is please.

Now here is how I charge my batteries
I usually charge them after they are dead or just about dead. I plug them into a USB cable and into a wall port most of the time, sometimes they get plugged into the car or the computer. I let them fully charge. I see they have stopped charging because on the eleafs at least the battery indicator now shows full and no longer has the lightning symbol in it. Most days I charge over night and do not unplug the battery until my other is depleted. I thought the eleafs at least stopped charging once they reached full charge.

Here is what I notice. That after about 75 charges or so, they battery no longer holds the original charge. Its down to about 75% or less of its original mah. I have no clue how to measure this with a scientific device, this is just based on how long a fully charged battery lasts me. And I do understand there are variables which will make a battery's full charge last longer or shorter such as watts, length of draw, etc. But my observations are based on average use over a week or so.

Now with in the next set of 75 charges the battery seems to only charge enough that a full battery lasts me less then half as long as when it was new.

So here is the questions,
1. is my experience with these batteries (ego style and eleaf istick 30w) NORMAL?
2. Am I doing something that is making the batteries go bad quicker?
3. If this is normal is the same true for the LI ion batteries like a samsung 25r justr to name an example.

I feel like I pay 20-40 on a battery mod, that will only be able to charge less then 100 times before it doesn't hold enough charge for me and I need to replace it. So every 3 months I am off buying another battery, I just feel like it should be once every 5 to 6 months but that may just be wishful thinking.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You have it right, as the batteries age their capacity is less and less. It's just the nature of the beast, that's why I prefer replaceable battery mods (mostly 18650's). It's a lot less expensive to replace a $5 battery than a $40 mod :)

Cheers,
Steve

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
You have it right, as the batteries age their capacity is less and less. It's just the nature of the beast, that's why I prefer replaceable battery mods (mostly 18650's). It's a lot less expensive to replace a $5 battery than a $40 mod :)

Cheers,
Steve
right I get that. but is the life I am getting form my mods NORMAL or am I doing something to shorten their life.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's normal imo. You might be able to very slightly extend their life by draining them a tad less and some even theorize that charging to 4.1 instead of 4.2 could marginally help. In the end, it's just the way it is. Wish I had better news for you.

P.S. I do what you do. I know rechargeables have about a 300-500 charge lifespan, so I don't sweat it.

Cheers,
Steve

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have to agree with my peers here . A lot of ads say a 500 cycle life , but after half that you will see a difference . Just the nature of the science used now . The way I see it is 40 dollar mod or 10 dollar battery , I spent that in just a couple days of smoking . Hope that makes you feel better !

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Recharging at around the 50% mark instead of waiting until it's completely dead and taking it off the charger as soon as it's fully charged will both help with battery lifespan. A user replaceable battery mod is preferred by many because swapping batteries is easier than having the mod tied to a plug while charging and having disposable batteries is better than having a disposable mod. In my opinion anyway.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This^^

It's best not to let the battery hit the low voltage cut off limit.
As volts go lower, more amps are pulled to get to the same watt target... your batteries get stressed more as voltage goes lower.

It is good for Li chemistry cells to charge just short of 4.2v per cell but most 18xxx chargers go to 4.2 and stop.

Also, don't throw it on charge right after a vape session. Give the battery a few minutes to get closer to ambient temps.

VU Sponsors