Become a Patron!

Clapton for TC

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have never used Claptons before and i have now converted to being a 100% TC vaper, all pre-made claptons in the market by Geekvape and Youde are mostly Kanthal which means power mode only and i do not like that.

I do not understand the implications of electrical conductivity in Claptons, path of least resistance, contact vs. spaced claptons, must clapton builds be contacts?

Can i make claptons with SS316/403 and what effects do wire gauges used have on its electrical properties? what wire gauges do i need to buy? does core has to be Kanthal?

I am pretty lost in this subject and there are no good resources out there that explains this in details

Any help is appreciated.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i make (and sell) ti claptons and find they work great.
can you get a bit more into their electrical properties and their TC performance? what gauges do you use and what TCR do you use with them?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ive used SS TC with Fused Clapton single Coil...you can use N80/Kanthal for the outer wrap also, Ive got pretty decent results but it also does depend on your mod and chipset...
3 x 26g 316L SS/42g N80
20160223_161705.jpg 20160223_161759.jpg 20160223_164345.jpg 20160223_163748.jpg 20160223_163637.jpg

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ive used SS TC with Fused Clapton single Coil...you can use N80/Kanthal for the outer wrap also, Ive got pretty decent results but it also does depend on your mod and chipset...
3 x 26g 316L SS/42g N80
View attachment 42892 View attachment 42893 View attachment 42894 View attachment 42895 View attachment 42896
I just don't like vaping on anything Nickel, makes me nervous sucking on that particular alloy, is it possible to make the core and wraps all SS? or am i better off with SS core and Kanthal wraps? i want to make an order from The Crazy Wire Company for a bunch of wires to make Clapton, Fused Clapton and Alien coils from, all should work in TC, so what type and gauges do you suggest i order? 26g seems to be standard for the core, either single or double cores, what about the wraps? what choices are there and what are the implications of each?

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fasttech sell SS Clapton wire. I have been using it for a few weeks. Seems to work well with tc.

HD
What is the clapton specifications? what mod are you using? what TCR are you using them with? please share some details

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I just don't like vaping on anything Nickel, makes me nervous sucking on that particular alloy, is it possible to make the core and wraps all SS? or am i better off with SS core and Kanthal wraps? i want to make an order from The Crazy Wire Company for a bunch of wires to make Clapton, Fused Clapton and Alien coils from, all should work in TC, so what type and gauges do you suggest i order? 26g seems to be standard for the core, either single or double cores, what about the wraps? what choices are there and what are the implications of each?
With Claptons and similar builds the Outer Wrap does not need to go into the post holes, they do almost nothing electrically as that outer wire is between 15.-30. Ohms. It acts like a serrated metal wick and a heatsink, Allowing you higher wattages without incinerating the juice and drawing in more faster then smooth wire. You can leave the Outer Wrap about 2-4mm away from the posts if needed and it will still work the exact same way. The outer wire wire wont matter in wire type either, I use Nichrome as its easier to wrap fast and it "colors" easier then most other wires.
If you want a nice TC Experience then I wouldnt get "Premade Wires" by a company pumping out lengths of wire, it needs to be done with care and close supervision, one flaw can result in issues with resistance or hotspots. If you want a TC coil and cannot build them yourself then seek out a builder and ask them for coils, most of the time the person will do a pair for around $15/$20 and the coils (if taken care of) will last months and months of use.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With Claptons and similar builds the Outer Wrap does not need to go into the post holes, they do almost nothing electrically as that outer wire is between 15.-30. Ohms. It acts like a serrated metal wick and a heatsink, Allowing you higher wattages without incinerating the juice and drawing in more faster then smooth wire. You can leave the Outer Wrap about 2-4mm away from the posts if needed and it will still work the exact same way.
Great to know, do you mean that i MUST keep the outer wrap away from the post or is it ok to screw it in with the core as you would do with normal coils?

The outer wire wire wont matter in wire type either, I use Nichrome as its easier to wrap fast and it "colors" easier then most other wires.
So as far as TC performance is concerned, resistance reading/change, is it only the core that matters? so i can wrap the core with any wire i like? SS, Kanthal, Nichrome or Ti? also what is the recommended gauge for the outer wrap? i see people use anywhere from 30g to 42g, what is the difference and why one gauge is preferred than the other? what is the best way to think about this?

If you want a nice TC Experience then I wouldnt get "Premade Wires" by a company pumping out lengths of wire, it needs to be done with care and close supervision, one flaw can result in issues with resistance or hotspots. If you want a TC coil and cannot build them yourself then seek out a builder and ask them for coils, most of the time the person will do a pair for around $15/$20 and the coils (if taken care of) will last months and months of use.
You got this wrong, i am not looking to buy a pre-made claptons, actually the Crazy Wire Company is a professional UK-based wire company that makes all types and shapes of wires for industrial and professional applications, it is not a vaping company, i will make my own claptons, i was asking you what wire and gauges should i buy as raw material to make my claptons with.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Great to know, do you mean that i MUST keep the outer wrap away from the post or is it ok to screw it in with the core as you would do with normal coils?

So as far as TC performance is concerned, resistance reading/change, is it only the core that matters? so i can wrap the core with any wire i like? SS, Kanthal, Nichrome or Ti? also what is the recommended gauge for the outer wrap? i see people use anywhere from 30g to 42g, what is the difference and why one gauge is preferred than the other? what is the best way to think about this?

You got this wrong, i am not looking to buy a pre-made claptons, actually the Crazy Wire Company is a professional UK-based wire company that makes all types and shapes of wires for industrial and professional applications, it is not a vaping company, i will make my own claptons, i was asking you what wire and gauges should i buy as raw material to make my claptons with.
It doesnt need to be in the post for the outer wrap, you can pull the wrap off and only have the cores inserted in the post-this will give you better results with some mods, other mods you can keep the outer wrap the entire lead.
With anything, even TC the Core is the only wire that matters for everything except wire width and mass. The outer wrap does nothing electrically and is only there for wicking. The changes it would make to resistance would be in the 15.-30. Ohm range and our devices dont read that high.

I was only giving you a tip about buying premade coils/wires. If its from a company like FT, or 3FVape, ect then the quality will be shoddy and will give inconsistant results. If your getting them from places that care about their products and every customer then you wont need to worry. But like you said your making your own claptons (I didnt read this) and the Guages that are suitable are 26g/28g/30g for cores, 26 is pretty low but it will work.

HDMontana

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What is the clapton specifications? what mod are you using? what TCR are you using them with? please share some details
26/32 wrap SS. 6 wraps gives me around a .52 ohm coil. Currently have them in tfv4 mini's, bachelor and serpents. Using them on cuboid and a couple of VTC mini's with tcr value set at .0100.

HD

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was only giving you a tip about buying premade coils/wires. If its from a company like FT, or 3FVape, ect then the quality will be shoddy and will give inconsistant results. If your getting them from places that care about their products and every customer then you wont need to worry. But like you said your making your own claptons (I didnt read this)
I am an extreme tinkerer, i wouldn't hand the pleasure of making my own claptons to anyone else, heck if it wasn't for this continuous tinkering i would have not been vaping, since i enjoy the activity of tinkering and making things more than i enjoy the vaping activity itself LOL :)

Guages that are suitable are 26g/28g/30g for cores, 26 is pretty low but it will work.
So maybe 26g for a single core clapton and 28g/30g for dual cores (ie. fused)?

Also what about the gauges for the wrap wire? i see people using anywhere from 30g to 42g which gauge is a better wrap and why?

Also SS is a springy wire would it work well as a wrap wire or will it spring away from the core? i feel the safest when using SS wire as apposed to any other type of wire, can i use thin SS for the outer wrap or do you suggest Kanthal and again what gauges do you recommend for wrap?

Thanks Ray.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
26/32 wrap SS. 6 wraps gives me around a .52 ohm coil. Currently have them in tfv4 mini's, bachelor and serpents. Using them on cuboid and a couple of VTC mini's with tcr value set at .0100.

HD
With the Cuboid and Evic VTC Mini do you insert the wrap wire inside the post holes or only the core to get these numbers?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only claptons I've used are built, like the TFV4's. I have my first real RDA with installed claptons coming care of @raymo2u later this week, can hardly wait.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am an extreme tinkerer, i wouldn't hand the pleasure of making my own claptons to anyone else, heck if it wasn't for this continuous tinkering i would have not been vaping, since i enjoy the activity of tinkering and making things more than i enjoy the vaping activity itself LOL :)

So maybe 26g for a single core clapton and 28g/30g for dual cores (ie. fused)?

Also what about the gauges for the wrap wire? i see people using anywhere from 30g to 42g which gauge is a better wrap and why?

Also SS is a springy wire would it work well as a wrap wire or will it spring away from the core? i feel the safest when using SS wire as apposed to any other type of wire, can i use thin SS for the outer wrap or do you suggest Kanthal and again what gauges do you recommend for wrap?

Thanks Ray.
I have found with my tanks and devices that are smaller its easier to fit smaller gauges like 28 ga core(s) and 32 ga. outer. I did it with nickel and Ti using all nickel wire and all Ti wire. Also 34 gauge outer would probably be ok too, but 30 ga. core might be really flimsy and tough to work with from personal experience.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vapomizer wondering how the SS Claptons are working out and compare to other T/c ones....any tricks you got other than torching? It helps with Ti but I keep leaving the torch on too long in some spots and over torching it:oops: then I waste half a wire trying to cut around hot spots SMH

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vapomizer wondering how the SS Claptons are working out and compare to other T/c ones....any tricks you got other than torching? It helps with Ti but I keep leaving the torch on too long in some spots and over torching it:oops: then I waste half a wire trying to cut around hot spots SMH
I can't speak for Vapomizer, but I use SS Clapton wire in three tanks, the Serpent, Lemo 2 & the Crown RBA. They are always set to TC and work perfectly fine (spaced coils). Torching SS Claptons only seems to help fight springyness a little. Maybe @Vapomizer has more info.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't speak for Vapomizer, but I use SS Clapton wire in three tanks, the Serpent, Lemo 2 & the Crown RBA. They are always set to TC and work perfectly fine (spaced coils). Torching SS Claptons only seems to help fight springyness a little. Maybe @Vapomizer has more info.
Might just be the type Clapton I am using but it seems to work better for me spaced as well...and wicked very tight. I am still trying to get used to SS, its nice cleaning off the wire and starting again without throwing the coil away!! Still just not sure about why the resistance keeps changing on me(randomly after sitting a while) and in t/c mode it will change .01 and its enough to open your eyes in the morning:eek:. Also seems the TCR varies a lot more on with SS from build to build even though I pretty much do the same ones all the time lol. I am trying to get used to it and I do like the flavor of it, maybe a diff type of SS wont have as many issues with me:oops:, I am using 316L atm.....

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
running in tc on the dna 200 with zero issues

fused Clapton. ss316l build is 7 wraps. 3mm Rt-0.25
set to 100w preheat. 80w @ 440degrees
temporary_zpsxsqxnizq.jpg

temporary_zpsh0s6fosh.jpg

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Might just be the type Clapton I am using but it seems to work better for me spaced as well...and wicked very tight. I am still trying to get used to SS, its nice cleaning off the wire and starting again without throwing the coil away!! Still just not sure about why the resistance keeps changing on me(randomly after sitting a while) and in t/c mode it will change .01 and its enough to open your eyes in the morning:eek:. Also seems the TCR varies a lot more on with SS from build to build even though I pretty much do the same ones all the time lol. I am trying to get used to it and I do like the flavor of it, maybe a diff type of SS wont have as many issues with me:oops:, I am using 316L atm.....
Good point. I've also found tight wicking to be beneficial. Another thing I've noticed with SS Clapton coils is that I need to re-tighten up the connections more often than with kanthal Clapton coils. They loosen up easier than Kanthal. Maybe it's the springiness. Every time the ohm readings on a build has gotten a little jumpy I tighten up the leads and clean the 510 connections (just in case). That always does the trick for my tank/mod combinations. I have 2 VTC Minis, a Cuboid and a Presa 75. Most of them run a SS Clapton build 24/7. The only issues I've had were build or connection related. I did have a few weird happenings similar to what you described using a Kbox 120 though.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good point. I've also found tight wicking to be beneficial. Another thing I've noticed with SS Clapton coils is that I need to re-tighten up the connections more often than with kanthal Clapton coils. They loosen up easier than Kanthal. Maybe it's the springiness. Every time the ohm readings on a build has gotten a little jumpy I tighten up the leads and clean the 510 connections (just in case). That always does the trick for my tank/mod combinations. I have 2 VTC Minis, a Cuboid and a Presa 75. Most of them run a SS Clapton build 24/7. The only issues I've had were build or connection related. I did have a few weird happenings similar to what you described using a Kbox 120 though.
Im so glad you said that I have had to retighten leads ESPECIALLY during break in......FIr3bIrd included, do you guys use tcr mostly or ss function?? I have 2 rx's, fuschai and a snow wolf which are NOT doing much right now since I havent tried using ss in wattage mode at all. On the rx it seems to work better in SS mode but its probably me still not finding the right tcr/wattage/temp combo as its still fresh to me.....please share youre normal operating ranges for drippers or tanks on the tcr/watts/temp if you have an average anyway with 316l maybe itll help me find a better one.

Tom_Pulliam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Been using a fused Clapton core 316ss 28 gauge and 38 gauge kanthal for the wrap, it works great for me

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Im so glad you said that I have had to retighten leads ESPECIALLY during break in......FIr3bIrd included, do you guys use tcr mostly or ss function?? I have 2 rx's, fuschai and a snow wolf which are NOT doing much right now since I havent tried using ss in wattage mode at all. On the rx it seems to work better in SS mode but its probably me still not finding the right tcr/wattage/temp combo as its still fresh to me.....please share youre normal operating ranges for drippers or tanks on the tcr/watts/temp if you have an average anyway with 316l maybe itll help me find a better one.
I'm the one person on VU without an RX, but i use the 316L tcr curve for tc from team engine

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm the one person on VU without an RX, but i use the 316L tcr curve for tc from team engine
ok so I just wanna be sure
Resistance 0.411 Ω
Resistivity 4.58 Ω/m
TCR in vaping range 879 ×10-6
TC precision 361
Heat flux per Watt 0.83 mW/mm²
Heat capacity 274.05 mJ/K
Current per Volt 2.43 A
Power dissipated 100 %

that means about 88 tcr on the device right? sorry I have never been explained how to actually use it properly to find the tcr.....just the resistance

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
ok so I just wanna be sure
Resistance 0.411 Ω
Resistivity 4.58 Ω/m
TC precision 361
Heat flux per Watt 0.83 mW/mm²
Heat capacity 274.05 mJ/K
Current per Volt 2.43 A
Power dissipated 100 %

that means about 88 tcr on the device right?
you lost me, homie...
Resistance 1.001 Ω
Resistivity 14.69 Ω/m
TC precision 879
Heat flux per Watt 18.32 mW/mm²
Heat capacity 13.92 mJ/K
Current per Volt 999.47 mA
Power dissipated 100 %
Diameter 0.26 mm
Length 68.13 mm
Surface area 54.58 mm²
Cross section area 0.05 mm²
Volume 3.48 mm³
Mass 27.84 mg
Density 8 g/ccm

http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.asp

not sure which device you have; but, the TCR is 879x10^-6
also there is this
2543482_zpsxnrcbefr.jpg

on the dna you upload a file, from steem engine, on the sx350j you plug in a number for tcr, I use "0.001" on my sx350j. I'm not sure where you are getting whole numbers from .

Last edited:

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been using a fused Clapton core 316ss 28 gauge and 38 gauge kanthal for the wrap, it works great for me

You using TCR Tom? I dont do any combinations of non TC and TC wires personally but I have heard those combos work really well. I just have a fear of messing up or having the core failing, but I GOOF sometimes and using TC devices has helped limit my mess-ups. Not to mention I feel like I am being safer using more pure and less compund wires but that, of course, is just a theory of mine I guess....I am not sure what difference if any there would be in tcr or mode settings when using kanthal or other wraps instead of all 316

Tom_Pulliam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes I'm using the TCR for SS316 and it's working great....not sure why, but it does

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you lost me, homie...
Resistance 1.001 Ω

on the dna you upload a file, from steem engine, on the sx350j you plug in a number for tcr, I use "0.001" on my sx350j. I'm not sure where you are getting whole numbers from .
Yeah I know you got a fancy device that does all that stuff man and yeah im jealous haha...The RX starts at 0001 and goes all the way to 1000 so I am guessing they didnt add the decimal. So you dont actually change the TCR on your device at all, the computer sets everything in the program? I have never seen it in action....Always a bit expensive when I looked but I havent purchased a device in a while and you guys usually know where to get stuff cheaper so I will definitely be asking when I am in the market again......

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I set my TCR to 88 which is what I believe that suggested equation works out to to my device anyway, I dont get hardly any vapor til I get to like 540-560 degrees which I really dont think I should be running it at.....I heard the cuboid is very similar maybe @CorallineAlgae can help me understand how to relate steam engine to my device and what is tc precision? That has to be something to do with the equation right?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah I know you got a fancy device that does all that stuff man and yeah im jealous haha...The RX starts at 0001 and goes all the way to 1000 so I am guessing they didnt add the decimal. So you dont actually change the TCR on your device at all, the computer sets everything in the program? I have never seen it in action....Always a bit expensive when I looked but I havent purchased a device in a while and you guys usually know where to get stuff cheaper so I will definitely be asking when I am in the market again......
no I can set it,or load in the chart. if this is where yours starts (0001) than you are probably right, in which case since 316 is 0.00092, I would try it at 0.0009 and see how it is. unless someone has a definitive idea,thats about what I use on the sxm

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I only have 4 numbers so I am thinking it would be 0092 but I have to say I am needing to have it at 0110 or higher to get a nice vape and It has been different for different wires and builds where wire wizard seems to pretty much always have about the same tcr number when I input the diff builds(guess because its just going by the TCR on that chart for each metal?) maybe the rx just isnt as accurate, @5150sick has one and he says he uses around 0150 which definitely was a bit higher than my builds could handle but he may have an idea comparing it to other devices if its off or not as far as TCR

Edit different DEVICES and builds not wires and build....course thatd be different:rolleyes:

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The TCR chart for the Joyetech Cuboid and RX200 are the same but it seems they are just estimations.
YiHi & DNA chips seem to have have more exact TCR values

Cuboid instructions (scroll down for TCR values)

http://www.joyetech.com/product/cuboid/

Here is the RX200 TCR chart

Attachments

• TCR mode instruction for RX200 (1).pdf
    27 KB · Views: 17

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I need a Yihi or DNA next :cool:....The ranges are way too broad and it gets old switching it all the time especially using three diff types of metal :rolleyes:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm about to try some of the half staggered fused clapton premade stuff from china. Not really expecting it to be the best quality but saves me the trouble to see if I even like it for $5. It's ss316L though, it's supposed to use a 26ga/32ga clapton fused with a 24ga and held together with 32ga. Far as I know, no kanthal or nickel in it, all ss.

@ f1r3b1rd, no you're not the lone ranger. I'm not using an rx either. Guess that means there's all 2 of us. haha

I've had pretty good luck vaping in tc on my istick tc100w with the preset listed in that table. Using 316L ss, tcr set to 92 in my M1 memory setting.

When I'm less broke (ha) I'll have to get something nicer from raymo2u to compare just for my own personal curiosity. I'd tend to agree you're probably not going to get the same quality from bulk spun coil wires that get cranked out and lopped off to make 5m spools. I'm realistic though and not expecting the care or attention to detail that someone would put into hand crafting coils compared to a $5 spool of el-cheapo.

For me it's more about the fact I'm not a coil making expert, I don't have the patience to make fancier stuff and if I attempted to make anything like a half staggered fused clapton I'd use more than $5 worth of bare wires in my failed attempts and still likely wouldn't produce something any better. Can someone else do better than myself for $10-15? Absolutely. Can I do better than a factory run of el cheapo for $5? Probably not. Skipping the headache of failing and wasting a bunch of wire? Bonus. lol

Mebejedi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Can someone else do better than myself for $10-15? Absolutely. Can I do better than a factory run of el cheapo for $5? Probably not. Skipping the headache of failing and wasting a bunch of wire? Bonus. lol

I hear ya. I'd like to try TC, too....but I'm just not in the mood to start making more elaborate coils. Are there any recommended websites (and coil types) other than Fasttech? I'm not in the mood to wait too long for the coils. I have an extra Baby Beast RDA I'd like to try them in.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I hear ya. I'd like to try TC, too....but I'm just not in the mood to start making more elaborate coils. Are there any recommended websites (and coil types) other than Fasttech? I'm not in the mood to wait too long for the coils. I have an extra Baby Beast RDA I'd like to try them in.
Don't know what country your in but: https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That, or simply look at the number right above the TC precision in the Wire Wizard. :)
Ok how do you calculate that? Sorry if im quite slow but negative somethinth power is throwing me off...why cant it just give me the output of that formula(tcr in vaping range) so I can have a near precise tcr number to input in my device?

Ok how do you calculate that? Sorry if im quite slow but negative somethinth power is throwing me off...why cant it just give me the output of that formula(tcr in vaping range) so I can have a near precise tcr number to input in my device?
Sorry I'm not following you. You can use the TCR in vaping range. You don't have to use the TC precision number for anything. It's only purpose is to give you a rough idea of how suitable the coil will be for temperature control.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry I'm not following you. You can use the TCR in vaping range. You don't have to use the TC precision number for anything. It's only purpose is to give you a rough idea of how suitable the coil will be for temperature control.
Please tell me how to input 2x10 to the -6th power into my mod? Its quite confusing to me too because on my screen "Tcr in vaping range" is a formula...not a number at all, so how does that get transferred to my mod and why doesnt it just have a solution for the formula in its place? Lol sorry if I sound lazy but it just seems easier if next to Tcr in vaping range was like .000099 or 99 or the actual number on the mod you would custom set the tcr to etc.

Please tell me how to input 2x10 to the -6th power into my mod?
For most mods, input the number 2 followed by whatever number of zeros that your particular mod wants.

on my screen "Tcr in vaping range" is a formula...not a number at all
2x10^-6 is the scientific notation for 0.000002, it's not a formula per se. When numbers get very small or very large, it's the best way to write them.

so how does that get transferred to my mod and why doesnt it just have a solution for the formula in its place?
The x10 means that it's a decimal number, and the -6 is the number of decimals, so it's not so much a matter of solving it as writing it out. In either case, in my experience different mods expect a different number of zeros in the TCR number, so usually you'll just have to make a best guess based on the user manual and try it.

Lol sorry if I sound lazy but it just seems easier if next to Tcr in vaping range was like .000099 or 99 or the actual number on the mod you would custom set the tcr to etc.
If only there was a standard way of doing it.

(Well, there is, but none of the mod makers seem to care much about scientific notation.)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Please tell me how to input 2x10 to the -6th power into my mod? Its quite confusing to me too because on my screen "Tcr in vaping range" is a formula...not a number at all, so how does that get transferred to my mod and why doesnt it just have a solution for the formula in its place? Lol sorry if I sound lazy but it just seems easier if next to Tcr in vaping range was like .000099 or 99 or the actual number on the mod you would custom set the tcr to etc.

You can't most mods can only handle up to 10 -5 and it why SS316L makes it on the list rounded to 0.00088 according to steam engine

FSK chip supports TC of kanthal or NI80 only one I know who does although some question whether there is other trickery going on there ...I'm not judging nor claiming it can't just saying with such small resistence change per degree change in heating the coil it's very hard to accurately detect 0.000002 since other factors will come into play ...I don't own the HohmWrecker G2 yet (it's on my list of mods to get though as I must try it before I can judge it)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I have never used Claptons before and i have now converted to being a 100% TC vaper, all pre-made claptons in the market by Geekvape and Youde are mostly Kanthal which means power mode only and i do not like that.

I do not understand the implications of electrical conductivity in Claptons, path of least resistance, contact vs. spaced claptons, must clapton builds be contacts?

Can i make claptons with SS316/403 and what effects do wire gauges used have on its electrical properties? what wire gauges do i need to buy? does core has to be Kanthal?

I am pretty lost in this subject and there are no good resources out there that explains this in details

Any help is appreciated.

You might find the answer you are looking for in this sticky thread vapomizer

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/temp-control-q-a.303163/

If not add a new Q so we can collect all this info centrally :) there are some really experienced TC guys in there who helped answer a lot of my questions to begin with

VU Sponsors